996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Inaccurate gas readings??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 04:14 PM
CadenceX has a spectacular aura aboutCadenceX has a spectacular aura about
Inaccurate gas readings??

So I filled up my tank for $52 (a little more than 15 gallons) yesterday and to my dissastisfaction, the meter never went to FULL! I kept waiting for it to climb, but it just never got to full! I'd say it had another 1/8 to go. GRR

Old 06-21-2006, 04:46 PM
viper501 is infamous around these parts
I think that there is a TSB for that problem, esp. on the '99's. Try searching Renntech.org for a discussion on that.

Old 06-21-2006, 05:09 PM
CLS
CLS is infamous around these partsCLS is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by CadenceX
So I filled up my tank for $52 (a little more than 15 gallons) yesterday and to my dissastisfaction, the meter never went to FULL! I kept waiting for it to climb, but it just never got to full! I'd say it had another 1/8 to go. GRR
Wow 15 gallons the most I was able to get into my C4 is 12 gallons you most have been on vapors!!!

Old 06-22-2006, 10:04 AM
vette67 is infamous around these parts
Same thing happened to me last week. If you find out the fix, please post it!

Old 06-22-2006, 12:01 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
There is a TSB 01/04 #2066 Incorrect Fuel level Display In Instrument Cluster. Don't know if it applies to your model/year.

Old 06-22-2006, 05:27 PM
CadenceX has a spectacular aura aboutCadenceX has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by CLS
Wow 15 gallons the most I was able to get into my C4 is 12 gallons you most have been on vapors!!!
LOL yeah I guess so, but the meter was so inaccurate I wasn't even sure how low I was.

Thanks for the responses guys, I'll do a search.

Old 06-22-2006, 09:01 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
The sending units on these cars are notorious for measuring inaccurately.

Originally Posted by CLS
The fuel tank capacity is 16.9 gallons so if you're only able to get 12 gallons in it when the gas gauge reads close to empty, then your gauge definitely isn't reading correctly!

The most I ever got in my tank was 16.7 gallons. I like to flirt with danger and rarely fill up until the low fuel light has been on for a while.

Old 06-23-2006, 07:24 PM
kem
kem is infamous around these parts
Mine reads correctly (or at least close to correctly) however when Im on empty I go to fill up and can only fit in 8-9 gallons. I can only fill it 3/4 full, the pump keeps cutting the fuel thinking the tank is full. If I keep trying I can get it to fill more but it takes 20 tries so I usually deal with only 3/4 tank. I had my sender replaced already. Any ideas?

Old 06-24-2006, 09:32 AM
IIRC, the TSB was talking about problems with fuel station nozzle cutting off before the car was full. Again, I haven't looked at the TSB in a long time but I though it said that the inlet piping was where the problem was. Kinda surprised that the problem wasn't diagnosed by the dealer when they did the sending unit.

Old 06-24-2006, 11:36 AM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
I had a problem with mine a year ago and I swapped out the level-unit inside the tank and the problem was solved. Although I will note that once in a great while if I let it go down to "E" it will get stuck there for up to a couple of days.

-Eli

Old 06-24-2006, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by FastForwardwheels
I had a problem with mine a year ago and I swapped out the level-unit inside the tank and the problem was solved. Although I will note that once in a great while if I let it go down to "E" it will get stuck there for up to a couple of days.

-Eli
Now that sounds like a common BMW problem I've experienced waaay too many times...

Old 06-24-2006, 03:29 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by viper501
Now that sounds like a common BMW problem I've experienced waaay too many times...
Drove my M3 for over three years and never had ANY fuel problems...... Maybe I was one of the lucky ones......

-Eli

Old 06-24-2006, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by FastForwardwheels
Drove my M3 for over three years and never had ANY fuel problems...... Maybe I was one of the lucky ones......

-Eli
I think it was an e36/7/8 thing (i.e. ///M Roadster/Coupe ). Sorta miss that car, even with the dysfunctional fuel guage.

Old 06-24-2006, 07:43 PM
kem
kem is infamous around these parts
My M Coupes fuel guages was wacked as well.

Originally Posted by viper501
I think it was an e36/7/8 thing (i.e. ///M Roadster/Coupe ). Sorta miss that car, even with the dysfunctional fuel guage.

Old 06-24-2006, 08:36 PM
Former Vendor
Boy I feel lucky knowing all the issues others had.........

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Inaccurate gas readings??