996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 07:20 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Question Warranty Question

My lug nuts are rusty. Is this something that should be covered or not? Is it excluded by the "bumper to bumper warranty" ? My wheels have never been removed and I only get the car wet when washing. I try to avoid the rain.

Old 06-24-2006, 09:42 AM
CoreyNJ is infamous around these parts
They should cover if you have a good relationship with the dealer, but why bother the new ones will rust again. I'd take them off and repaint myself with a good silver or black rustolium paint.

Old 06-24-2006, 10:06 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
dep on how much rust is on there. if it's just a little surface rust, it's normal. if it's a lot of yellow and brown rust, i'd ask for replacement ones.

Old 06-24-2006, 10:26 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
The previous service rep was great and would have done it. BUT they have a new guy who I have no relationship with, so I guess I may have to suck it up. I already asked him to replace them under warranty and he said for $100 he would exchange them for ones that have been "reconditioned".(Read, cleaned and repainted.) I still think they should be covered. This is a premium car I don't think it is too much to ask to have them not rust. My 5 year old Acura doesn't have any rusted lugs.

Old 06-26-2006, 12:49 PM
John Romano is infamous around these parts
$19.95 for the plastic caps. Fit right over the stock lug nuts. come in Black or chrome.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by John Romano
$19.95 for the plastic caps. Fit right over the stock lug nuts. come in Black or chrome.
I was gonna do that, but what about the security lug? The cap won't fit over that will it?

Old 06-29-2006, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by neil.schneider
I was gonna do that, but what about the security lug? The cap won't fit over that will it?
No it will not. I took my locking bolt off. I don't need it. I have stock rims, I park my car in my garage behind my gate and I live in a low crime neighborhood. I don't commute, and wouldn't leave the car anywhere risky enough to worry about some crack head staling my stock rims. I feel okay with no locking bolt. Everyone's case is different. If you don't want to do the plastic caps, Take your lug nuts off, tape the threads anssend them to the powdercoater. Only use a soft socket and you should be fine. The dealer will not absorbe the cost.

Old 06-29-2006, 10:11 PM
John, you are right. Lug caps it is, but I still don't think they should rust.

Old 06-30-2006, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by neil.schneider
John, you are right. Lug caps it is, but I still don't think they should rust.

I agree!! But really, it is not the fault of the bolt Porsche chose. Perhaps you could argue that they should have coated them better, however, SS bolts would have been far too cost prohibitive. The real problem is that somewhere along the way, someone removed your wheel bolts using an air impact wrench. The socket marred the bolt's finish and it subsequently rusted. Porsche assumes that anyone removing their lug bolts is using a soft socket, manual wrench, and torquing the bolt to 96 - just like they do.

Order TWO sets of bolt caps and keep a couple from that spare set tied up in your tool pouch in the boot. I Just learnd that for whatever reason you're bound to lose a couple. I guess it is inevitable. Once it happens, you'll be reminded of just how crappy those bolts looked and you'll want to cover them up just as quick as you can.

Old 06-30-2006, 10:35 AM
Well, if my bolts were removed it was done by porsche. They have never been removed since I have owned the car.

Old 06-30-2006, 11:42 AM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
Neil, my '01 996 had bolts replaced and brake rotors repainted under warranty because of rust. I don't know if it's covered under warranty but I thought it was a fantastic goodwill gesture. It definitely made me feel like I was an appreciated customer. It just goes to show that it's not the amount that counts, it's the gesture!

Old 06-30-2006, 12:06 PM
RocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant future
Since we are on the subject, the clear coat is peeling off both front brake calipers on mine, they look pink now, covered???

Last edited by RocC4S; 06-30-2006 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:11 PM
paulycw is infamous around these parts
Mine was covered under warranty. I did not even ask for it, and they took care of it for me when I went in for my 30K service.

They said that it is important to do so because if rust stays on for too long, it may cause problems to remove the bolt later.

Old 06-30-2006, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by paulycw
Mine was covered under warranty. I did not even ask for it, and they took care of it for me when I went in for my 30K service.

They said that it is important to do so because if rust stays on for too long, it may cause problems to remove the bolt later.
that is very cool!

If Porsche only took the bolts off, and htey are rusting, then they didi the right thing. It never hurts to ask.

Old 07-01-2006, 12:07 AM
I know that the service guy I had a good relationship with moved to Princeton Porsche, about 50 min away. Maybe I will call him for the heck of it and see what he says.