996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

My friend got a speeding ticket in my car...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 10:22 PM
evo_333 is infamous around these partsevo_333 is infamous around these parts
My friend got a speeding ticket in my car...

Looking for some advice. A friend of mine came into town last weekend and I let him take my car for a drive (as background, this all occurred in manhattan). I guess he didn't see the cop behind him and opened her up. The cop pulled us over for a 50 in a 30. He doesn't have a US license (only hong kong license) and they gave him a ticket anyways. Can this ticket go unpaid? Would it come back to me (they took my registration, license plate #, etc)? I've never encountered a situation as such and have never gotten a ticket in manhattan before, albeit i wasn't driving....

Old 07-06-2006, 11:05 PM
adybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the rough
Im intrigued, Im from cali and when I was in NY I got a speeding ticket. I just paid it, then my gf at that time got one too in my car, and she paid it. Nothing happened to my insurance. But who knows? Anyone>?

Old 07-07-2006, 02:43 AM
simon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to behold
I got a parking ticket once while not living in the US, without a US license.
I paid it under advisement of our HR and immigration folks. Their take was that it "might" show up should I wish later to live in America, which I in fact did.

It was only $30, so no biggie.

I also have a aussie friend who got a speeding ticket, he called up the police dept and told them he was not living here, had no license in the US and was leaving to go back home the following day. They apparently dropped it and he's been back several times since with no issues.

I'd **** myself if one day they stopped him at the border and demanded the $200 !

:-)

Old 07-07-2006, 08:40 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Jon, this will def come back to haunt you, YOUR ins co has already been notified. Trust me just pay it.

Old 07-07-2006, 09:45 AM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
ticket advice

Jon,
In Cali a moving violation applies to the driver not the car. After a certain period of time the court will issue a warrant for your friend if the ticket is unpaid. The cops have to take the info on the car when they issue a cite so they will have a record of the incident should your friend fight the ticket in court. I would not worry about it. This is how it works in Cali and it is probably very similar in NY.

Now of course if that vehicle has been listed as stolen or involved in another crime then there's cause for concern. But that's a whole different situation.

When insurance companies pull your DMV record to check your driver's lic, the record only shows your traffic violations. Your friend's will not show up as a violation on your DMV record. Hope this helps.
Andre

Old 07-07-2006, 09:58 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
I believe Andre is correct on this one. Only 50? that is hardly opening her up is it?

Old 07-07-2006, 10:24 AM
Marc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really nice
No one here knows what they are talking about you cant give a car a ticket and they can only notify your insurance for DL realted issues...He issued your friend a ticket on his HK DL tell him to toss it in the trashe all my friends here with EURO DL's get tickets and toss them there is no reciprocity thats all that matters.

Old 07-07-2006, 10:35 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Marc996Miami
No one here knows what they are talking aboutyou cant give a car a ticket and they can only notify your insurance for DL realted issues...He issued your friend a ticket on his HK DL tell him to toss it in the trashe all my friends here with EURO DL's get tickets and toss them there is no reciprocity thats all that matters.
Marc...chill out...did you read our responses? That is basically what Andre said. The only time non US citizens have to worry is if there is some background check or they apply for a license...probably in most cases it will never come up.

Last edited by wross996TT; 07-07-2006 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:04 AM
Banned
CSudhoff is infamous around these parts
I would just pay it, be done with it and move on.. no sense on this lingering around and causing a bunch of headache.

Old 07-07-2006, 12:23 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
you're covered as you weren't driving. if he had been caught by a red light camera, you would be billed though.

whether or not your friend chooses to pay for the ticket is his choice. if he visits NY often, he should pay it. NYC has a very nasty way to catching people and multiplying fine when they get you. OTOH, if he doesn't plan on coming to NYC in a few years, it's probly ok not to pay.

Old 07-07-2006, 12:46 PM
trovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nice
to save you from all the stress, i would make sure the ticket is paid for. who knows for sure if it won't come back and hunt you (unless you can get some accurate information from the DMV or somthing).

but you like your buddy enough to let him drive your porsche, he should like you enough to pay for the ticket and save you from any consequence. i would just ask him to make sure he pays for it.

Old 07-07-2006, 01:35 PM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
I definetly wouldn't pay it. Nor would I worry as to whether my friend (I'm assuming he/she is an adult) was going to take care of their obligation or not.

Old 07-07-2006, 02:22 PM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
just pay it they may revoke his visa for the unpaid parking ticket i had a buddy visting from the philippines who had a speeding ticket and they were threating to revoke his tourist visa if the debt goes unpaid...

Old 07-07-2006, 04:15 PM
2fas4u is infamous around these parts
I'd pay it they can't get you or your insurance if you don't, but what if you for get it and yuor friend comes back. He may and get another then he's on record for an unpaid ticket which will cause a headache because it'll probably be @ a worst time.

Old 07-07-2006, 07:19 PM
viper501 is infamous around these parts
NY can and likely will suspend his privilege to drive and issue a warrant for failure to appear if the ticket goes unpaid. That probably only would be an issue for your friend if he returns to the U.S. for some reason. I know many people who got stopped on Intl driver's licenses and ended up going to jail because their privilege to drive was suspended in a compact member state. Frankly, I'm sort of surprised they didn't take him to jail and make him post the bond / fine before getting out. That is what will normally happen in my jurisdiction for an Intl / non-compact driver's license.

How much was the ticket, dollar wise?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My friend got a speeding ticket in my car...