996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

New 2003 996 owner. Now what?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 03:16 PM
DHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud of
It's your money, you work for it, spend it as you see fit. Go Fabspeed for sure and take it to the track. Determine after a DE, what will improve performance or if you are interested in cosmetic upgrades. Sinking $$ into aftermarket parts depreciates faster than the 996 TT or GT3 you didn't buy. A well maintained, moderately modified 996 will hold it's value and you may decide to move up before sinking $30-40k that will return you $5k (maybe) when you sell it.

Old 08-15-2006, 07:31 PM
CLS
CLS is infamous around these partsCLS is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by schnazzy
yeah I see what you are saying but here are the facts (as I found them for me). A good TT is about $80k, maybe 75k on a good day, then ship it and pay the 9.2% use tax in my state. Thats $84-$89k. Stock that is only 415 HP, AWG driveline loss, and 3400lb. This is compared to say less than $49k with shipping and tax, 2950lb (maybe), and 315hp.

General maintenance seems to be more expensive than a c2, and insurance is certainly more.

The TT is maybe 392rwhp stock. I add $16k to the C2 and am maybe at 440rwhp and 2800+ (approx). So now I am at $65k with a car that should have no problem against a stock TT and many other cars. The C2 should be good all the way up to the GT600 stage4 TT (maybe a bit shy). The GT600 installed is maybe $18k on a good day? So the question is $105k+ TT or $65k C2.

Please note my statements are generalities and there are other factors that could weigh in on these comparisons. Sure I could find a TT for less, maybe joes p-car fixer in bfe could do less expensive maintenance or installs, but thats not a realistic way for me to choose a car. Sure I love the big butt Turbo, and the cool isht it has but I am not a rich fellow, I have no family money, I don't have a 100k+ a year job, I don't lease a car I couldn't otherwise affort, I don't have multiple women (wives, gfriends, ho's) that earn money for me. I do have a couple small businesses that keep me out of single-wides and bologna sandwhiches for dinner but I am no donald trump. I know there are guys on this board who have lots of funds and I say to them, send me some! Hopefully I hit everyone in that, the rich (new and old money), the poor, pimps, and the posers. If I missed you, let me know.
I hear what your saying I am in a similar car! I doing mods for handling with performance bolt on such as HP..EVO V-Flow, Fabspeed Exhaust, Headers
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=20
Bilstein PSS9/GT3 sway bars tires and with that stick to the back roads minus the straight aways your going to give most cars a run for there money!!!

Old 08-16-2006, 02:19 AM
schnazzy is infamous around these parts
... And here is a pick of my new car.

Attached Images  

Last edited by schnazzy; 08-16-2006 at 02:21 AM.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:40 PM
Porsche Chick
RobynC is infamous around these partsRobynC is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by newport996
Welcome! I am a little confused you bought an 03 996 and wanna dump another 20k into performance mods? With that 20k and what you paid for your 996 you could have gotten a 996 Twin Turbo....Far more power available for not that much money....Easy to get lots of power out of a Turbo...But now that you ask...headers, cats, mufflers, clutch, flywheel. You should ask the people that you get the S/C from, they will no doubt know what works best with their kit and their chip reprogramming. Good luck and keep us posted...oh and you are supposed to post a pic of the NEW car!!!
What he said!!

Coming from a supercharged 03 996 to a Turbo, it's a lot of work, time and money to deal with a SC. Some folks love the whole SC thing...there is definitely lots of info here on this board.

I would work on the suspension first. Tighten her up a bit with that. Short shifter is an easy inexpensive mod.

Last edited by RobynC; 08-16-2006 at 01:43 PM.