996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

New pics of my ride by request

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 02:13 PM
Banned
Crod is a jewel in the roughCrod is a jewel in the roughCrod is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by skibum
Hey, look what you posted in the 997 forum. I guess you are planning on bastardizing your car.
If you're going to quote me on a particular TOPIC, at least do it properly you idiot.
I was in fact debating aftermarket cans, but if you had bothered to do a bit more research you would have found out that my decision was made to simply modify my STOCK FACTORY CANS.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=59083

Nice try though.

Old 09-30-2006, 02:14 PM
Banned
Crod is a jewel in the roughCrod is a jewel in the roughCrod is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by LUIS95993
What track do you go 175mph on?
Fontana

Old 09-30-2006, 02:16 PM
jaded996 has a spectacular aura aboutjaded996 has a spectacular aura aboutjaded996 has a spectacular aura about
There will always be the group of people who adhere to the "factory is the only option" theory. Normally they hate anything that the factory didn’t make. They usually also hate appearance mods.

For a lot of us the idea of having a car that looks exactly like someone else’s car is just not appealing to us. We like to mod, change the way our car looks performs and sounds.

When you start with a car that performs as well as the 911 in stock form its not like performance is the first area you need to go for. The car already does 1/4's in the low to mid 13's 5 or sub 5 second 0-60's (depending on the driver) and can handle it self very well on the track.

This is a fast car in stock for by any means. With his simple bolt on’s the car should be quite quick compared to most any other car on the road. There are

By wanting to address the exterior and suspension he has made quite a complete car.

Old 09-30-2006, 02:18 PM
Banned
skibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Crod
Fontana
What vehicle do you do this in? pics? Or did you "lose" them all.

Luis - I have a f40 and f50 that I race everyday on my private race track in my backyard. Plus I have 8 997 gt3's with custom trailers on order so me and some buddies can race whenever we want. And no I don't have any pictures.

Old 09-30-2006, 02:37 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by jaded996
There will always be the group of people who adhere to the "factory is the only option" theory. Normally they hate anything that the factory didn’t make. They usually also hate appearance mods.

For a lot of us the idea of having a car that looks exactly like someone else’s car is just not appealing to us. We like to mod, change the way our car looks performs and sounds.

When you start with a car that performs as well as the 911 in stock form its not like performance is the first area you need to go for. The car already does 1/4's in the low to mid 13's 5 or sub 5 second 0-60's (depending on the driver) and can handle it self very well on the track.

This is a fast car in stock for by any means. With his simple bolt on’s the car should be quite quick compared to most any other car on the road. There are

By wanting to address the exterior and suspension he has made quite a complete car.
I tend to agree with that mindset, but only in regards to aesthetic enhancements. When it comes to performance mods, engine mods etc...there are lots of aftermarket companies that make very good products. Take for instance my old 993 and the common valve guide problems that were inherent to that model. When I had my 993 motor rebuilt, I certainly wasn't going to use the same, soft valveguide material that was the reason for the teardown. So I went with all titanium pieces from AASCO.
In that case, an aftermarket part was not only required, but essential to building a stronger motor.
I simply have a problem with poser aesthetic upgrades - that's all.

Old 09-30-2006, 03:13 PM
jaded996 has a spectacular aura aboutjaded996 has a spectacular aura aboutjaded996 has a spectacular aura about
I tend to agree with that mindset, but only in regards to aesthetic enhancements. When it comes to performance mods, engine mods etc...there are lots of aftermarket companies that make very good products. Take for instance my old 993 and the common valve guide problems that were inherent to that model. When I had my 993 motor rebuilt, I certainly wasn't going to use the same, soft valveguide material that was the reason for the teardown. So I went with all titanium pieces from AASCO.
In that case, an aftermarket part was not only required, but essential to building a stronger motor.
I simply have a problem with poser aesthetic upgrades - that's all.
In my opinion it would only be a "poser" mod if he was badging the car as something it is not. All of his "aesthetic" upgrades also have functional purposes. The wing adds downforce and if it has the inlets in the posts it provides better cooling for the engine. His rear bumper provides more airflow and better cooling of the engine, mainly mufflers, also.

As far as his front end that routes air to the brakes more effectively and also provides better aerodynamics and downforce than a stock piece. The are purely aesthetic (unless they are wider or lighter than factory) but how can you argue against a nice set of rims?

Just cause they make the car look good does not make a part purely aesthetic.

Old 09-30-2006, 03:29 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by jaded996
In my opinion it would only be a "poser" mod if he was badging the car as something it is not. All of his "aesthetic" upgrades also have functional purposes. The wing adds downforce and if it has the inlets in the posts it provides better cooling for the engine. His rear bumper provides more airflow and better cooling of the engine, mainly mufflers, also.

As far as his front end that routes air to the brakes more effectively and also provides better aerodynamics and downforce than a stock piece. The are purely aesthetic (unless they are wider or lighter than factory) but how can you argue against a nice set of rims?

Just cause they make the car look good does not make a part purely aesthetic.
First of all he refers to it as a "Wanna be GT2"...IMO that's about as poser as it gets...
Second - the ducting from the aerokit is to route air to mechanical pieces that need the additional airflow. Since he does not have the GT2 mechanicals, the added airflow is actually doing nothing and increasing the drag on the car. Yes, the wing and other surfaces add downforce, but also increase drag...and without the extra hp that actually makes the car slower, not to mention the added weight.
So, without the turbos in the rear you're adding cooling for the mufflers ?? Sorry, but I wasn't aware of a muffler overheating problem with the 996's. Yes he may be getting some aditional cooling for the motor, but does it really need it in stock trim ? Also, I believe that the GT2 had an extra oil cooler up front, hence the larger intake on both sides. Unless he has that oil cooler then there's no need for the added intake(s). Also, the GT2 used those intakes for the brakes, but only if there is ductwork routing air to the rotors. I doubt he bothered to add that ductwork to increas cooling to the brakes...

Old 09-30-2006, 03:45 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Fontana
What kind of car did you do this 175mph run in? Isn't the longer straight at Fontana shorter than 1 mile?

Old 09-30-2006, 03:58 PM
Banned
What kind of car did you do this 175mph run in? Isn't the longer straight at Fontana shorter than 1 mile?
Luis - I see where this is going...I tell you what I've driven, you call BS and ask me to back it up with photos...Same **** different day. Either you believe me or not - personally it doesn't matter to me either way as gaining the approval of someone on a BBS really doesn't mean that much to me.
And when you run the oval at Fontana you can easily achieve speeds over 175mph depending on what car you're in - for instance, an Indy Lights car, or Formula Atlantic, or Cup car or.....

Old 09-30-2006, 04:00 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
I don't want pics, just wanted to know what car you did that in?

Old 09-30-2006, 04:10 PM
Banned
skibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud of
I don't want pics, just wanted to know what car you did that in?
I did 550mph on my way from Tucson to NY in seat 4a. Do I get a cookie?

Old 09-30-2006, 04:13 PM
Banned
last time i was there was a few years ago having some fun in a 333sp.

Old 09-30-2006, 04:14 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by skibum
I did 550mph on my way from Tucson to NY in seat 4a. Do I get a cookie?
I dunno - do you have a picture to prove it or did you "loose" them ?

Old 09-30-2006, 04:17 PM
Banned
No, I have pictures. I can also fax over a copy of my itinerary.

Old 09-30-2006, 04:56 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
oh Crap has a brilliant futureoh Crap has a brilliant futureoh Crap has a brilliant futureoh Crap has a brilliant futureoh Crap has a brilliant futureoh Crap has a brilliant futureoh Crap has a brilliant futureoh Crap has a brilliant futureoh Crap has a brilliant futureoh Crap has a brilliant futureoh Crap has a brilliant future
did someone fart?