996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Agency Power exhaust installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 11:48 AM
wittenbergj is infamous around these parts
Agency Power exhaust installed

Took advantage of Vivids special and bought the Agency Power exhaust last week and installed it on Sunday at a corner garage with the help of a local mechanic, install time was about an hour and change.

After all I have read about aftermarket mufflers I was a bit worried about it being too noisy. Its just right, makes the exhaust note a bit deeper and not offensive. Bit of a drone between 2700 and 3300 RPM but that’s a good excuse to get on it.

About the power change, car feels a bit more perky, but that may just be the cooler weather in Texas. I bought it to make the car sound like it should.

2002 996 – daily driver and kid shuttle

Old 10-03-2006, 11:52 AM
Neighbor is infamous around these parts
Where in Texas are you? I'm in Dallas and would love to hear it.

Old 10-03-2006, 09:43 PM
Gcookie is infamous around these parts
How is it on I35? 70-80 are you getting the drone? Thanks...

Old 10-04-2006, 01:44 PM
wittenbergj is infamous around these parts
Update: been riding the bike with the nice weather in Dallas but took the car to work today. Heading up the toll-way at about 75 on a very light throttle the car is very quite, as soon as you get on it a bit it starts to drone for a second or 2 then it goes away.

Old 10-04-2006, 11:31 PM
capt601 is infamous around these parts
any chance of some sound clips. Ihave been thinking about this exhaust and have been waiting to hear from others who have installed it.

thanks

capt601

Old 10-05-2006, 03:24 PM
STDFAST is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by wittenbergj
Took advantage of Vivids special and bought the Agency Power exhaust last week and installed it on Sunday at a corner garage with the help of a local mechanic, install time was about an hour and change.

After all I have read about aftermarket mufflers I was a bit worried about it being too noisy. Its just right, makes the exhaust note a bit deeper and not offensive. Bit of a drone between 2700 and 3300 RPM but that’s a good excuse to get on it.

About the power change, car feels a bit more perky, but that may just be the cooler weather in Texas. I bought it to make the car sound like it should.

2002 996 – daily driver and kid shuttle
what are you going to do with your old exhaust. I'd like to purchase them. Let me know if you're interested...

Old 10-05-2006, 04:44 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by STDFAST
what are you going to do with your old exhaust. I'd like to purchase them. Let me know if you're interested...
PM sent. check it.

Old 10-15-2006, 06:20 PM
Gcookie is infamous around these parts
Just installed AP exhaust also. In a 02 Coupe, finally I don't sound like a VW starting up! Very little difference inside as to sound, which is good! In back, you can hear faint roar special under a underpass with RPM! Drops weight off the rear as well... Very satisfied with the exhuast... Wanted powerful, but mature sound, not too abusive to others...I got it!

Old 10-18-2006, 06:58 PM
Banned
DimNSlow has a spectacular aura aboutDimNSlow has a spectacular aura aboutDimNSlow has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by STDFAST
I just bought an Agency Power exhaust too. Just brought my 996 in to the dealer to have them install it while they are fixing a couple other problems. I'm pretty excited.

On a side note: my loaner 2006 Boxster exhaust sounds better than my stock exhaust... a bit sad really.

Speaking of stock exhaust, you sure you still want it STDFAST? I'll have one too pretty soon lying around.

Old 10-19-2006, 09:48 AM
STDFAST is infamous around these parts
Hey... Thanks, but I was able to find 2 stock exhaust. Good lookin' out though...

Old 10-20-2006, 03:38 PM
Banned
DimNSlow has a spectacular aura aboutDimNSlow has a spectacular aura aboutDimNSlow has a spectacular aura about
I'm getting my car back in an hour with the creaking/squeaking gone and my Agency Power exhaust installed... so excited.

I love the interior of the 2006 Boxster loaner, I'm just not used to the tiptronic and the lack of ANY rearward visibility when the top is up. I almost took it into a wall in my garage in reverse trying to manuver out this morning.

Maybe I just can't drive...

Old 10-20-2006, 05:00 PM
capt601 is infamous around these parts
how do you all compare it to the fabspeed exhaust? I am still leaning towards the Agency Power exhaust, but would like to hear one in person get a good sound clip to hear it.

thanks.
capt601

Old 10-20-2006, 05:40 PM
Banned
I actually just got my 2000 996 C2 back with the Agency Power exhaust installed from the dealer (30-45 mins ago).

First Impressions:
The first thing I noticed before I even started was that the AP exhaust is bigger (but much lighter, I had to carry my old exhaust back, and boy those were bricks!) than the stock exhaust. The bigger AP exhaust means the rear black plastic wheel well fender panels between the exhaust and the wheel could not be reinstalled.

Fine by me since I never look down there and it actually does not affect the performance or the aerodynamics of the vehicle. Plus now I finally understand why they polished the mufflers because from the wheel well you can kind of see them. It is nice they are polished.

Starting the car:
When I turned on the car, instead of sounding like a Honda (so hearing nothing except the engine), there was a deep tone/growl when the car started up.

At low RPM the exhaust has a low rumble/growl that sounds fantastic (but may get annoying). However, with the windows up I can't really hear the exhaust anymore. At highway cruising speeds I can't tell the difference between my stock and the AP exhaust, until I hit the gas.

The AP exhaust does not have the Lambo, Ferrari exhaust howl, but I personally like the deep note better.

The Sound:
AP actually has a pretty accurate exhaust sound on their site, it's the one where the car accelerates away from a stop. If you turn your sound up, you can definitely hear the deep growl I was talking about. It is deeper on low rpms though than my computer speakers made it.

Vs. Fabspeed:
One of my friend has a Fabspeed exhaust installed on his 2000 C4 Cab. The best way I can describe the exhaust is it sounds similar to the stock e46 M3. Very metallic at high full throttle but not much low end tone. Given, I haven't heard his exhaust for about 3 months so this may not be a fair 1-on-1 comparison.

I was told though the AP exhaust is not as loud as the Fabspeed. Since I already think the AP exhaust is more than loud/aggressive enough for me, I am glad I did not get the Fabspeed.

Extra Horsepower:
I did not buy the exhaust for the claimed hp gain but wanted to see if I can feel it anyways during my drive back on the highway from the dealer. I did not feel squat = I did not notice my car going any faster or accelerating any quicker.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by DimNSlow; 10-20-2006 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:31 PM
Banned
Additional notes I noticed today:

The exhaust on the passenger side does not fit perfectly, and slightly touches the firewall on the inside of the rear fenders. Also the pipe is bent slightly differently and one pipe is a bit longer than the other out the back. Not really noticable unless I really stare at it.

I went back to the dealer and they said that the mufflers are mainly stamped out and made in mass production. It is a common problem with aftermarket exhausts that they may not have as tight as a tolerance as the stock mufflers.

Oh well... I guess that's all part of the aftermarket biz.

Old 10-21-2006, 05:58 PM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
I had the EVOMS exhaust before, and fits perfect, sounds perfect not too loud, and definitely feel the HP bump.. but then i had the intake as well

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Agency Power exhaust installed