996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

ROW M030 Suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 03:52 PM
Buhin is infamous around these parts
ROW M030 Suspension

I know this point has been discussed a lot - and I have searched and read quite a bit - and it has me thinking to install either the M030 or X73/X74 suspension to my '03 C4 Cab to get better performance handling.

Question, is this something that has to be / should be only installed by a dealer/independent shop or is it something that can be done DIY?? I see the options available from Gert at Carnewal and would like to have a go at it if a "reasonably" competent person can do it.

Anyone done it by themselves before? Anyone have any DIY instructions? HELP....

thanks,

Mark J in Boston

Old 02-05-2004, 04:34 PM
Vlar is infamous around these parts
This can be a DIY job with proper tools (4 jack stands, spring compressor, etc)., but you will need a 4 wheel alignment after install. I had Euro ROW M030 (bought from Gert) installed in November---price range quoted for install and alignment varied between 750 to 1500 (dealer). I spent 850 and had "conservative" setting for alignment. Dropped car about 3/4" and really firmed up without diminishing ride quality. Highly recommended if not for major racing/track purposes. V

Old 02-08-2004, 12:03 AM
karlooz is infamous around these parts
i just installed h&r springs myself

you can do it with a good assortment of tools:

air tools + compressor
socket set - regular and deep metric sockets
large pry bar (to force the supension arms down)
tie rod/ball joint removal tool - $85 from performance products (i didn't use one but it was a bear to separate the ball joint from the wheel carrier)
torque wrench
etc...

go HERE for a short write up

i suggest getting a subsciption to alldata diy for the torque specs and procedures

PM me if you want some details of my install

Old 02-08-2004, 01:31 PM
oalvarez is infamous around these parts
ordered my RoW M030 from Gert at carnewal.com, couldn't be more pleased with his knowledge and service. he did not have any in stock, ordered the part and it was on a Fedex plane 2 days later. it is being delivered tomorrow, 2/09. as for the install, the cheaper of my two alternatives will save me $200, and while that is some money, i've decided to let the local (pasadena, ca) dealer do the install/alignment (6 hrs at $100/hr, $150 alignment). i just think that i will be so much more comfortable knowing that they did it, the whole thing that is.

by the way, do not order the parts from your dealer, believe me on this one.

best of luck to you my friend on the DIY if u decide to do it.

Old 02-08-2004, 01:39 PM
JASCLASS is infamous around these partsJASCLASS is infamous around these parts
Mark, the X73 is for the 996TT/C4S, I know people with the X74 and its really a nice setup, the ROWM030 is a more subtle change, X73 here in the turbo and got it from Gert, great setup and very happy with it so far.

Old 02-08-2004, 02:06 PM
Greyghost is infamous around these parts
After seeing both this weekend I like the X74. I have ROW M030 and am contemplating a change.

Old 02-08-2004, 03:02 PM
oalvarez is infamous around these parts
Greyghost: ck the reply:)

Greyghost-
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by greyghost
My first Mod was getting it lowered with the ROW M030 Eruo springs, about 1 inch in in front and ¾" in rear. You may want the X74 suspension or maybe even the extreme PSS9s
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

your car is simply beautiful. my RoW M030 arrives tomorrow (2/09). by the looks of the pics, the car does not seem 3/4 - 1/2 lower. is that because it's still settling down or is it definately noticeable in person?

no turning back for me now......great ride you have there.

Old 02-08-2004, 04:49 PM
Greyghost is infamous around these parts
I have had the ROW installed for 4 months now so I think it has settled. It is strange but it seems like the rear sits too high. I don't know if it is an optical illusion because of the AeroKit or what. I am going to get prices on X74 tomorrow just to see.

Old 02-08-2004, 08:18 PM
JASCLASS is infamous around these partsJASCLASS is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by greyghost
I have had the ROW installed for 4 months now so I think it has settled. It is strange but it seems like the rear sits too high. I don't know if it is an optical illusion because of the AeroKit or what. I am going to get prices on X74 tomorrow just to see.
Brit, The X74 is real nice, puts you right around GT3 spec.

Old 02-13-2004, 09:56 AM
Buhin is infamous around these parts
Thanks for all the comments. Am pretty sure I am going with ROW 030 and have it installed by an independent shop after all. Still thinking of the X73/74 option, but most of my driving is on the crappy roads here in New England and too concerned that ride quality will just be too stiff.

thanks,

Old 10-01-2010, 12:15 PM
aehrath is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Bizarre... I had mine installed by a local guy and it appears that the front has a 1.5 inch gap vs. the rear having a .75 inch gap (wheel to fender). It is to the point to where the headlamps point a little too high at night. Anyone else experienced this? What could be wrong?
Cheers, Alex

Old 10-01-2010, 05:15 PM
02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold
Instead of measuring the gap, take measurements from the top of each wheel arch to the ground (with tires inflated to factory specs). I've found this to be more indicative of the stance of the car relative to the road. Let us know what you find out.

Using Suncoast's website information as a guide, expect the front to be about 10mm (about 1/2 inch) lower to the road than the rear with the M030 RoW. My '02 Cab, with stock US suspension has equal measurements front and rear, about 26-1/2" as I recall. If your measurements find the opposite (front taller than rear)...

Old 10-02-2010, 12:19 AM
aehrath is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 02TX996Cab
Instead of measuring the gap, take measurements from the top of each wheel arch to the ground (with tires inflated to factory specs). I've found this to be more indicative of the stance of the car relative to the road. Let us know what you find out.

Using Suncoast's website information as a guide, expect the front to be about 10mm (about 1/2 inch) lower to the road than the rear with the M030 RoW. My '02 Cab, with stock US suspension has equal measurements front and rear, about 26-1/2" as I recall. If your measurements find the opposite (front taller than rear)...
Front is 25 3/4, driverside rear 25 1/4, passenger rear 25 5/8.... weird...
Heelp... checked it over with my mechanic today it all looks installed properly... I am running out of ideas

Old 10-02-2010, 01:48 PM
John L is infamous around these parts
I also installed ROW M030 and it's a DIY for sure. It'll take a while the first time you do it but it was really straight forward and I'm glad I did it myself. I took it for alignment after a week or so, it settled and is a big improvement over my worn out stock set-up. I see the set-up on sale for less than $1k and thats a great deal.

The X-74 probably would have been a better alternative in retrospect but I don't track my car, yet, and this was some of the best mod money I have spent on my car . Dollar for dollar it made a huge difference and I wish I would have done it sooner.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:17 AM
GREERJ1 is infamous around these parts
Mark J:
I put mine in in my driveway, four jack stands, borrowed spring compressor from advanced autoparts. Very easy job. Might have a bit more complexity for the fronts with the C4. The set up is not to harsh for our local roads and very decent enough for several track days a year. If you are mechanically inclined, this is a DYI. I got a quote from the dealer in Portland Or, gave it to Reitzel in Norwell and they honored the price. There is a kit that Porsche has a part number for that Reitzel was unaware of. paid 1,100 shipped to Norwell, ma.
Jim Greer

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ROW M030 Suspension