996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Buzzing from up front... fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 02:41 PM
DJbrand1 is infamous around these parts
Buzzing from up front... fuel pump?

Hey all,

Just recently I was out driving and hear this high pitched whine/buzzing. I pull over thinking maybe one of the radiator fans was busted, but the more I am leaning around the car trying to locate it, it is loudest right by the front right tire well. Sounds like its comming more from the middle of the car. What is under there besides the fuel pump? That is the only thing I can come up with, unless its some kind evap system? The car runs and drives fine. Thanks for your help and suggestions. About to take the car to the dealer so it doesnt die on me when I am driving it, if it is the fuel pump.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:54 PM
cgmeredithjr is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DJbrand1
Hey all,

Just recently I was out driving and hear this high pitched whine/buzzing. I pull over thinking maybe one of the radiator fans was busted, but the more I am leaning around the car trying to locate it, it is loudest right by the front right tire well. Sounds like its comming more from the middle of the car. What is under there besides the fuel pump? That is the only thing I can come up with, unless its some kind evap system? The car runs and drives fine. Thanks for your help and suggestions. About to take the car to the dealer so it doesnt die on me when I am driving it, if it is the fuel pump.
My GT2 does the same thing every once in a while and I too thought it was the fuel pump...but it is submerged in the tank so you should not be able to hear it. It sounds like some kind of mechanical whirring, buzzing noise. I have heard the same sound from other 996's...who knows?

Cleve

Old 11-03-2006, 11:19 PM
I called up my service guy, he thinks it maybe some kind of coolant booster pump for the radiators. Im not sure if he know's what he's talking about or not. Anyone know what kind of pumps/motors would be up front?

Old 11-06-2006, 05:31 PM
So it is definitely the fuel pump. Do these cars have the little trap door to access the fuel pump without dropping the tank, or does the fuel tank indeed need to be dropped? Thanks.

Old 11-09-2006, 07:41 AM
GOB
GOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud of
I too have a bad fuel pump. Its easy to replace, but requires a trip to the dealer afterwards. Under the battery tray, there is an access door, but requires a special Porsche tool to remove it. Afterwards, the fuel level sender needs to be calibrated at the dealer with 12 liters of fuel in the tank.