996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Seeking recommendations for new shocks/struts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 10:37 PM
viper501 is infamous around these parts
X74 and do the install yourself. Its a two hour job with simple hand tools. ROWM030 would be a good option too ( and cheaper ).

Old 11-23-2006, 09:06 AM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Viper,
What does the X74 consist of?

Old 11-23-2006, 01:02 PM
C70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by newport996
FYI..install on my PSS9 was cheaper than SPRINGS ONLY on my Boxster....they said if it was a coilover, its cheaper...they are easier....from the tech that installed springs only on my Boxster....as far as having more oversteer....I have NONE....all my oversteer is gone.....and if I want sways, I'll get GT3's...not M030's....I dont know where you think the fuss is? You set it and enjoy....wanna change your setting, turn a ****....
so you have NO Oversteer... you mean after PSS9 you have MORE understeer??

if you want GT3 sway bars your car is gonna drive like crap if you don't put them on the last setting and you'll have to not only spend $$$ on the GT3 sway bars but uprated endlinks as well more $$$... the whole PSS9 GT3 sway bar is a LOT OF $$$ compared to row 030 and I don't care what anybody tells you ... setup of ROW 030 is MUCH cheaper and easier than PSS9 with GT3..

the PSS 9 GT3 + endlink package your looking at over $3K..... $1K for ROW 030 and all its factory designed components seems like a real bargain...!

X74 is a great suspension for the track... on the street you will be scraping!!!

Old 11-23-2006, 01:29 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Not gonna get in a pissing match....for the original poster....if you want the best for your car, the tuners all will tell you the PSS9 is the best suspension for the street....there is no "special tuning" or adjustment....My car handles like its on rails, and the ride is smooth, you CANNOT get that combo with the ROW M030...ever wonder why Porsche wont sell that to you in the US? Maybe because they know its not suitable for US roads, and only available FROM PORSCHE in Europe where the roads are MUCH better. C70 Pete, its not what someone is telling me, its what I know FROM EXPERIENCE....PSS9's are EASIER to install, and there is no setup....I paud LESS than $500 for install INCLUDING balancing and 2 alignments....if it was sooo difficult, why would a reputable shop do it for this? They would lose money....and by the way, I DIDNT buy the PSS9 from that shop, so they had no reason to give me a "deal" on the install.....Bottom line...Call around, talk to lots of people that have done it...I know SOOOOOO many people with PSS9's on their 996's and not one has any complaints.

Old 11-23-2006, 03:45 PM
C70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these parts
There is no doubt the PSS9's are the better setup... nobody is denying that... but what you say about cost and installation... well that is YOUR opinion...

I don't know why ROW 030 isn't sold here but I can tell you that my car rides fine with them and LIKE YOU I'M SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE.... if you don't want to spend the $$$ and want a porsche solution I can't see how you can go wrong with the ROW 030... they are both good but it is YOUR OPINION that there are no complications with PSS9's.... I've heard of many complaints and setup issues.... a good shop with proper experience is very important in setting this stuff up and if you've got one your lucky... .cause there have been many others who are not that happy with constatnly adjusting and setting things up.... in the end how much $$$ do u want to spend.... for $1K you get a porsche solution and you can't go wrong with that given it's less than 1/2 the price of PSS9....

Old 11-23-2006, 03:52 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
OK....agree with almost all that is said....except the complications of the PSS9....its not that complex...maybe I did get lucky...teh shop that did my install (Lucent) does LOTS, so they knew how to set it up...Its an easy fix to the install question....call around and see. I did...I know for a fact the PSS9 is cheaper (and easier) to install than teh ROW M030....ROW M030 is a good suspension, as just about any factory performance upgrade....Porsche knows what they are doing....but Bilstein is an OEM supplier of that system (at least in part), so I am sure they know how to make a great system as well....the height adjustability is great, as is the ride adjustabilty which is actually the shock dampening.

Old 11-23-2006, 10:29 PM
racerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to behold
Spend the money and do it right. PSS9's w GT3 Sways. Do both or just put a set of H&R springs on to look cool. C70Pete's comment, "if you want GT3 sway bars your car is gonna drive like crap if you don't put them on the last setting" - I hate to tell someone they're wrong on a public forum, but....YOUR WRONG.

For saftey reasons, Porshe and most manufacturers design in a bit of understeer as it makes a car "safer" in the hands of non-drivers. To correct this you need a stiffer rear, ie more preload/rebound in the rear and a higher sway bar setting on the rear as well. I forget what my PSS9's are set at, but I know the fronts are at lower settings thatn the rear and my sways are 1 from soft front, 2 from stiff rear. My car handles like it hotrod 914!

Check ebay for deals if you can't afford it new, I've seen GT3 sways w/ links for $300 and Bilsteins for $1200! Used of course, but its better than none!

Good luck!

Old 11-23-2006, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by racerjsz
Spend the money and do it right. PSS9's w GT3 Sways. Do both or just put a set of H&R springs on to look cool. C70Pete's comment, "if you want GT3 sway bars your car is gonna drive like crap if you don't put them on the last setting" - I hate to tell someone they're wrong on a public forum, but....YOUR WRONG.

For saftey reasons, Porshe and most manufacturers design in a bit of understeer as it makes a car "safer" in the hands of non-drivers. To correct this you need a stiffer rear, ie more preload/rebound in the rear and a higher sway bar setting on the rear as well. I forget what my PSS9's are set at, but I know the fronts are at lower settings thatn the rear and my sways are 1 from soft front, 2 from stiff rear. My car handles like it hotrod 914!

Check ebay for deals if you can't afford it new, I've seen GT3 sways w/ links for $300 and Bilsteins for $1200! Used of course, but its better than none!

Good luck!
Sorry bud...

I'm not wrong... this is the opinion of those I know personally that have done it.... experience experience experience - again we have varying opinions here from people who have done it..... just trying to help out the guy looking for suspension options.... AND DON'T BUY ANY USED STUFF OFF EBAY EITHER... kind of makes you wonder why somebody else is selling their PSS9's and GT3 sways don't it? maybe they didn't like them.... it's a great track setup but for street... well that's your risk...

Old 11-23-2006, 11:52 PM
racerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to behold
You need to talk to someone that understands chasis set-up, not someone that want their street car to look cool. Again GT3 bars will not make the car ride like crap. And for the money the Pss9's are the best all around option. Call a reputable shop before you buy or ride with someone.

Buy new absolutely, but the poster seems to be cash concious. Keep in mind, some guys have to return their leased cars and take off perfectly good parts.

I know from experience as well......

Old 11-24-2006, 12:26 AM
Banned
DimNSlow has a spectacular aura aboutDimNSlow has a spectacular aura aboutDimNSlow has a spectacular aura about
Goodness, looks like I just came when the time is right

My 2 cents from what I learned as I was doing the exact same research.

M030 ROW is the least aggressive setup, minimal lowering and suspension improvement, cheapest to buy ~$1K new

X74 has the GT3 sway bars, really aggressive. No adjustment, so if you think the ride is too rough, you're kinda stuck. ~$2K from Carenwal last time I checked.

Pss9. Most adjustment, can fine tune your ride just the way you like it. Does not require new sway bars but it can be a plus if you have the extra cash. Lowest price I found online is ~$2K. Pretty much recommended by every one I talked to, including Vivid and Sharkwerks.

Installation should be the same for all 3 of these set ups. 4 shocks, alignment... don't really see where the price difference will be.

My recommendation: Pss9 seems like the best bet.

Another note: many people are selling X74, Pss9, M030, and stock parts because they are either returning their car to stock to sell, think the suspension is too soft, hard, whatever. Lots of reasons.

Either case, I feel much safer buying from someone here than on eBay. Used from here may be the way to go.

There seems like there are lots of people on this board who don't keep their aftermarket toys for very long. You can find some great deals here. I kind of wished I waited for a pair of used Fabspeed and Evo Venturi, would have been 50% off with only 5k on it, then again, I'm happy with what I got and can't complain.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by DimNSlow; 11-24-2006 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:52 AM
DrPeter has a spectacular aura aboutDrPeter has a spectacular aura aboutDrPeter has a spectacular aura about
I put the x74 on my car, Love it. Best mod that I have done (maybe tied with PSE.) It consists of for units;one peice per wheel. No adjustments, bolt off bolt on. Got it from GERT, he offers slightly better prices for 6-speeders.

It was designed by porsche to be the suspension that should have been on the car. I feel that it rides smoother than the stock that was on it before. And it makes the car look fast even when it is sitting still.

When looking into the Pss9, I figured I wasn't tracking the car and really did not want to try and figure out what was the best PSS9 adjustment nor would I want to change it from that best adjustment.

ROW seemed too incomplete for me.

Old 11-24-2006, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by racerjsz
You need to talk to someone that understands chasis set-up, not someone that want their street car to look cool. Again GT3 bars will not make the car ride like crap. And for the money the Pss9's are the best all around option. Call a reputable shop before you buy or ride with someone.

Buy new absolutely, but the poster seems to be cash concious. Keep in mind, some guys have to return their leased cars and take off perfectly good parts.

I know from experience as well......
Well... I can see we've all have some different experiences but similar opinions... caution to the poster.

Old 11-24-2006, 02:36 PM
The ROW suspensions are not sold on US cars because of our federal regulations concerning bumper heights. No other reasons. For the money, the ROW M030 offers a slightly lower ride height (below U.S. regulations), slightly stiffer components and slightly less compliance than a standard U.S. suspension. The sways are exactly the same from the U.S. M030 to the ROW M030 to the X74. No difference whatsoever. In fact, I've got an extra set of sways from my X74 kit that I didn't have/need to install because my US M030 is the same sway bar.

Cost of installation should be substantially the same for any of the different kits. Frankly, its an easy DIY if you have a couple hours and at least a set of jack stands and a friend. A spring compressor will make removal of the rear shocks a little easier though ( you can get one from Autozone or the like for rental / borrow ).

And yes, the PSSS-9 is really the nicest way to go for a street/track set-up, but the cost is double the ROW M030. The X74 I bought was used by another member who loved it but whose wife didn't. He changed to the PSSS9 to satisfy her requirements. I got the X74 for about what a ROW M030 would cost and I love it. The wife doesn't mind it either ( she has been assimilated ).

Old 11-26-2006, 10:07 AM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Viper,
Is the X74 that much stiffer and lower than the M030?

Old 11-26-2006, 12:00 PM
IIRC, the X74 is about 30mm lower than the ROW M030, which, again IIRC, is about 10mm lower than the U.S. spec M030 and standard suspension. The exact numbers are out there somewhere (probably on Renntech.org) but as I recall, the X74 dropped me about 40mm.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Seeking recommendations for new shocks/struts