996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Seeking recommendations for new shocks/struts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 11:38 PM
b-man is infamous around these parts
Seeking recommendations for new shocks/struts

I'm thinking about getting new shocks and struts for my 02' C2 Coupe that has the standard (non-sport) suspension. This is for street use only and I just want something firmer than what I have now (which is what came with the car new). I'm not looking for a fancy setup like the PSS-9 coil overs, just something that will be an easy replacement with no modifications.

What do you guys recommend and where do you recommend I purchase them? Are the Bilstein Sports good?

I'd like to stick with my stock sway bars and springs just because I'm cheap. But, I might be able to be convinced otherwise. If anyone knows of a great deal on a ROW 030 kit, please let me know . . .

Also, how much does labor usually cost for a strut/shock replacement on all 4 corners?

Thanks.

b-man

Old 11-21-2006, 08:39 AM
b-man is infamous around these parts
No suggestions?

b-man

Old 11-21-2006, 09:41 AM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
b-man,
I don't have any suggestions, but I wanted to reply because your post looked lonely. I can only parrot what everyone else seems to recommend and that is to get the PSS9s. From what I understand if you just get springs your stock shocks will wear faster. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge will reply.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:08 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Yeah...you ruled out PSS9's which in my opinion are the best thing you could do to a 996.....ROW M030 will be more harsh...X73/X74 will be even more harsh...if you just wanna replace your shocks...then get Bistein standard....or even OEM Porsche, which are Bilstein. If you want firner suspension, you need new springs as well...shocks wont do what you want....sounds like you want less floating and a more planted feeling....spend the cash and go PSS9...you get the best of all worlds...better handling and better ride...

Old 11-21-2006, 07:12 PM
calicolin is a jewel in the roughcalicolin is a jewel in the roughcalicolin is a jewel in the roughcalicolin is a jewel in the rough
You only wanted shocks so I couldn't recommend any particular set. Sorry, but here's another vote for the PSS9's. I was in the same boat. Didn't think $2000+ would be worth it. But after reading post after post (on other forums too) from people who changed individual suspension components and ended up unhappy with the results, it seemed like a waste of money. So I bit the bullet. Here's what you have to ask yourself: What if you get shocks and they are too soft, or too stiff? Chances are, the one setting that they come with won't be exactly the way you want them to be. You'll have to live with it. With the PSS9's, you get 9 settings. And you can adjust the height as an added bonus.

As far as installation, it will be in the $750 ballpark, + alignment. It takes the same amount of labor to install the PSS9's as a set of shocks. It took me about 6 hours.

Old 11-21-2006, 07:22 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Installation for me was under $500 including 2 alignments....

Old 11-22-2006, 05:19 PM
C70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these parts
ROW 030 is a complete kit that includes springs + shocks AND SWAY BARS... you don't get new sways with the PSS9 kit...

also the kit comes with new bushings designed for the suspension... the ride is AWESOME and will transform the handling of the car.... it's not harsh at all... just a little stiffer but more compliant as well... for the price you just can't go wrong...

installation is cheaper than PSS9 and there is nothing to adjust once it's on... ever!

great for a more sporty street setup... but if you want adjustability for the track.. PSS9 can't be beat... but they are a lot more $$$ and maintenance/setup wise...

I went the ROW 030 option and never looked back....

Old 11-22-2006, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by C70Pete
ROW 030 is a complete kit that includes springs + shocks AND SWAY BARS... you don't get new sways with the PSS9 kit...

also the kit comes with new bushings designed for the suspension... the ride is AWESOME and will transform the handling of the car.... it's not harsh at all... just a little stiffer but more compliant as well... for the price you just can't go wrong...

installation is cheaper than PSS9 and there is nothing to adjust once it's on... ever!

great for a more sporty street setup... but if you want adjustability for the track.. PSS9 can't be beat... but they are a lot more $$$ and maintenance/setup wise...

I went the ROW 030 option and never looked back....
Nothing wrong with M030 BUT they are not cheaper to install....quite the opposite....PSS9's are easier to install....coilover goes in as one unit...springs/shocks must be installed as seperate units...plus you still need to do teh install of the sway bars which if you dont track the car, YOU WONT NEED....mainenance is the same...no extra setups...and you can adjust your ride to YOUR taste.....IN MINUTES....have a smooth ride to your favorite twisty road, thej stiffen it up for the best handling in minutes...but I have not needed to adjust my ride in 3 years....Also you get the ride height YOU want....go 19's later? You can adjust....not low enough? too low? all to your taste.....I have NEVER tracked my car and the PSS9's are amazing...I commute 100 miles a day in my car and the ride is better than stock, lowered with 19's....

Old 11-22-2006, 06:25 PM
amestyan is infamous around these parts
PSS9s are the only option in the long run

Old 11-22-2006, 06:42 PM
C70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by newport996
Nothing wrong with M030 BUT they are not cheaper to install....quite the opposite....PSS9's are easier to install....coilover goes in as one unit...springs/shocks must be installed as seperate units...plus you still need to do teh install of the sway bars which if you dont track the car, YOU WONT NEED....mainenance is the same...no extra setups...and you can adjust your ride to YOUR taste.....IN MINUTES....have a smooth ride to your favorite twisty road, thej stiffen it up for the best handling in minutes...but I have not needed to adjust my ride in 3 years....Also you get the ride height YOU want....go 19's later? You can adjust....not low enough? too low? all to your taste.....I have NEVER tracked my car and the PSS9's are amazing...I commute 100 miles a day in my car and the ride is better than stock, lowered with 19's....

sorry man... I think your opinion of PSS9 is *very* biased... I know for a fact that the PSS9 cost more to install because there is more to do in a coilover setup...

the sway bar of the ROW 030 kit will take away some understeer and that is a HUGE benefit when driving these cars...

I know a few p-car mechanics who *don't* like the PSS9 for the street for many reasons... right now your probably running a lot softer than a ROW setup which explains why your car is "soft" and can run on 19's with no degradation of ride because your bound is softer than the bound of ROW 030 which may give you a nicer ride but depending on your settings will result in inferior handling and road feel even though you've spend twice the $$$ and you will still have more understeer than a ROW030 kit...

cosmetically the pss9's will give you less ride height if that is what you want... ROW 030 is factory stuff and it's a bargain for what you get... no muss no fuss...

my 2 cents...

Old 11-22-2006, 06:53 PM
calicolin is a jewel in the roughcalicolin is a jewel in the roughcalicolin is a jewel in the roughcalicolin is a jewel in the rough
If you've ever installed the PSS9's, you will realize that there is less to install. You said it yourself, there is no swaybar. I'm curious, what specifically is there more of to do?

Old 11-22-2006, 07:08 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
I've heard the PSS9's are around 2000.00 plus install. Approximately how much is the ROW 030 kit?

Old 11-22-2006, 07:25 PM
ROW 030 kit is $1059 I believe....

The PSS9's simply require more work to install and setup correctly AND corner balance if you want an installation that will benefit the equipment you spent so much on... talk to your porsche tech I'm sure he will agree...

the best price is from Alegra motorsports....

<theo@alegramotorsports.com>,

Old 11-22-2006, 07:39 PM
You don't have to corner balance the ROW 030 kit? "Setup" consists of turning a **** to select a damper setting of 1-9. That, and deciding how low you want your car to be.

Anyway, since price is a major factor for the poster, and height & damper adjustability is not, I believe the ROW 030 kit would be the best choice for him. Save the thousand bucks if you don't want the adjustibility.

Old 11-22-2006, 07:47 PM
FYI..install on my PSS9 was cheaper than SPRINGS ONLY on my Boxster....they said if it was a coilover, its cheaper...they are easier....from the tech that installed springs only on my Boxster....as far as having more oversteer....I have NONE....all my oversteer is gone.....and if I want sways, I'll get GT3's...not M030's....I dont know where you think the fuss is? You set it and enjoy....wanna change your setting, turn a ****....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Seeking recommendations for new shocks/struts