996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

horn honking when using remote lock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 09:02 PM
calh4289 is a jewel in the roughcalh4289 is a jewel in the roughcalh4289 is a jewel in the rough
horn honking when using remote lock

I have a 99 c2. Normally, when I use the remote lock I only get the lights to flash twice with no honking unless a door isn't closed.

For the last few days the horn has been honking (single) when I lock the car. Is there something wrong or is this normal

thanks,
Jarrod

Old 11-28-2006, 09:13 PM
phaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond repute
with my boxster the horn honking at locking means that the alarm is not activating. there are a million points in the car that could be deactivating=something with the trunks, one of the car doors, etc. with mine I added an aftermarket radio and apparently the alarm makes contact with the stock radio somewhere. therefore when i removed that head unit and put in the aftermarket one the circuit was broken as it did not properly contact the new radio. i get honks every time I lock and I need to insulate it or something to make the alarm set again but I have been quite busy.

anyways, that should answer your question as I would imagine it would work the same way on the 996 as it does on the 986.

Old 11-28-2006, 10:50 PM
porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !
Glove box and center console lid are also 2 other contact points. Make sure your glove box is closing all the way, I saw one where it was hanging kind of low even when closed, and if you listen carefully, you could manually push it more closed and here it activate a switch, if this applies to your car. One other one is the gas flap locking arm, if the centering rose comes out, it might not be engaging.

Old 11-29-2006, 12:01 AM
John Romano is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by phaphaphooey
with my boxster the horn honking at locking means that the alarm is not activating. there are a million points in the car that could be deactivating=something with the trunks, one of the car doors, etc. with mine I added an aftermarket radio and apparently the alarm makes contact with the stock radio somewhere. therefore when i removed that head unit and put in the aftermarket one the circuit was broken as it did not properly contact the new radio. i get honks every time I lock and I need to insulate it or something to make the alarm set again but I have been quite busy.

anyways, that should answer your question as I would imagine it would work the same way on the 996 as it does on the 986.

The same thing happened when I had the Alpine installed.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:32 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
I thought that pressing key one activates the alarm, pressing it twice activates the alarm without the internal motion sensor activated (the horn also blips on). But, the security is still activated.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:28 PM
whatever is infamous around these parts
mine is doing the same with the kenwood deck. Good to know.
I kind of like the horn honking. It let's you know if the door is locked without having to stare at the blinking lights.

Old 11-30-2006, 09:43 AM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
If nothing was done to the car recently, probably just check all the compartments in the car. Perhaps one is a bit open...

On the flip side, I wish I had the horn blip!

Old 11-30-2006, 07:18 PM
calh4289 is a jewel in the roughcalh4289 is a jewel in the roughcalh4289 is a jewel in the rough
thanks for all of your comments. I went thru the car and made sure that there were no obstructions (doors, console, hood, engine, gas etc.) It seemed to do the trick and I havent had the honking since. Thanks again for your help.

Old 11-30-2006, 07:57 PM
phaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond repute
i need to pull out my head unit and insulate the contact point so i get my alarm back. anyone remember seeing any faq's about this?

Old 12-01-2006, 10:30 AM
every day is infamous around these parts
If you want the horn to beep when you lock the car you can do this (copied from someone else's post). I did it and it works great!

The advice from my Porsche Tech mate was to modify the microswitch for the centre console storage thingy so the car sees it as being open, when it's not.

To do this you have to either bend the thin metal actuating arm out of the way, or cut it off completely - what I did.
If you unplug it, the car is smart enough to think it's a broken sensor and ignore it...giving no bleep/honk.

By leaving the switch plugged into the loom, the car thinks the switch is there and working OK, but the lid of the storage bin is open. Even when it isn't.

This works on my car...and gives a honk from the horn about 4 seconds after remotely locking with the key.

You have to remove the console - or part remove it - to access the switch...handy as I was changing the centre console for a colour coded one at the same time.

According to the Porsche Tech, this method has no adverse effects on the alarm operation, other than not letting you know if something else is not closed properly.