996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

service history

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 01:20 PM
tweety is infamous around these parts
service history

I have a question about service history.
Other machines that I have picked up used have come with no history. I would then go to the service counter and present the VIN to the person and they would provide me with the how's and when's for what was done to the car.
I went to the Porsche counter and they told me that they could only tell me about recalls but not whether the car has had any required service or not. I was told that it wasn't possible to do.
Are they blowing smoke or is there another way around this to locate the cars service history???

Thx.

Old 12-01-2006, 02:32 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
uh, yeh. At least every major service is recorded via VIN and is located centraly somewhere. I would try another dealer and see what they say, where are you located?

Old 12-01-2006, 02:48 PM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
When I did a PPI on my car, the dealer was able to pull up the times my car went in and what they were for.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by Redridge
uh, yeh. At least every major service is recorded via VIN and is located centraly somewhere. I would try another dealer and see what they say, where are you located?

I am in Houston. I have been to one of the 2 shops here locally which as it turns out, are both owned by the same primary company.
Carfax told me nothing which if you think about it...it is only as good as the information put in, if anything at all.

Old 12-03-2006, 05:31 AM
Tool Pants is infamous around these parts
Any dealer can obtain recall and warranty info even if it was done by another dealer.

Service work, like an oil change, can only be obtained from the dealer doing the work.

At least this is the way it has been for the 7 plus years I have been around.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:55 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
Any dealer can obtain recall and warranty info even if it was done by another dealer.

Service work, like an oil change, can only be obtained from the dealer doing the work.

At least this is the way it has been for the 7 plus years I have been around.
Yup, I'll second this. It's pretty easy to find out the service records too. Look up carfax to determine where the car was registered. Call the dealer in that area and he'll have the service records.

The warranty work can be retrieved at any dealer as said by Tool Pants.

Old 12-05-2006, 04:03 PM
Picked up the car from Greenwich CT Saturday. The motor is leaking on it just like so many RMS issues already talked about.
The dealer locally will be working on it this week. Minor issue to me thanks to the board here and knowing about the leak in advance. Similar deal as was on a Jeep that I owned.

So I drive her home and put about 1600 miles on her in one stint. Funny how being locked up in a car for over 20 hours will knock the new car smell out of it!!!

Hang on folks....I still have to provide pics....I know-I know!
Patience. Daylight is scarce.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:49 PM
Banned
blakshukvw is infamous around these parts
....and this is why it's important to have your car serviced at a reputable shop that signs, stamps, an dates your maintenance logs for you. All major maintenances are recorded in their including brake services. These records are so important and mean everything when pricing a car to sell and when buying.