996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Child Seat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 10:01 AM
Greyghost is infamous around these parts
Child Seat

Does anyone have a recommendation for child seats to fit the 996?

Old 02-19-2004, 10:19 AM
Long Islander has a spectacular aura aboutLong Islander has a spectacular aura about
Are you looking for a rear-facing infant seat or a front-facing toddler seat? For rear-facing, I used a Graco SnugRide infant seat. It fits easily in the back seat of a 996 without the base. Easy to buckle in because the seat belt goes over the seat rather than through it. This is available at Babies R Us and Toys R Us. I think I only used mine 5 times before out baby outgrew it. Getting her and the seat in there was so difficult, I hardly ever bothered going anywhere in the Porsche unless it was just me alone.

Old 02-19-2004, 10:26 AM
01 C4 Cab NYC is infamous around these parts
Porsche sells a baby seat for the 996, but the seat is made by a company called Britax. So you can get it from Britax (Roundabout) if you don't feel like paying porsche's prices.
There is a kit should be installed if you will be using the baby seat in the front seat that deactivates the airbag. It is basically a buckle that the baby seat clips into. When the clip is in, the air bag is de-activated. The Britax seat does not come with the clip, but any 'male' seat belt clip will do (avail at any auto parts store)

The dealer can install the deactivation kit for you...

Old 02-19-2004, 10:47 AM
RDH
RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !
Britt...got it through Porsche

Old 02-19-2004, 10:49 AM
firewired is infamous around these parts
Porsche has just updated their car seats in the last 6 months. They still use Britax, who I can tell you as an Emergency Physician I feel makes the most rigorously tested and safest seat manufactured. Info on the specs and model numbers of the seats can be found on the Porsche site here:

http://www2.us.porsche.com/english/u...indersitze.htm

An unadvertised nice thing. Is that Porsche covers the cost of install of the front seat deactivation harness so after you get the car seat, you can just take it to your dealer and have it installed at no cost. I purchased the mid range seat which fit my two year old son, and can sit him in the front or back depending on my needs. One nice thing about the seats besides being made by Britax are they are specifically designed to fit in the Porsche's seats perfectly. I found the best price was from Suncoast Porsche at:

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...Code=POTE996SS

The mid-range porsche seat is not listed on the site because it is so new, I had to call to order it. The other listings I believe refer to the previous versions of the car seat. (I don't think they call it Zoom any longer.) So if you decide to get it just call and order with the parts number listed on the Porsche website and you will be fine.

I figure we all payed $60k and up for the car, why scrimp on a device to keep your child safe? I would rather one made by a company that has a reputation as the safest in the market, and that fits the car the best.

Last edited by firewired; 02-19-2004 at 10:56 AM.