996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Got a speeding ticket in VA: Need help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 10:43 PM
evo_333 is infamous around these partsevo_333 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
First of all they cant suspend your license anywhere but in VA (so you wont be able to drive in VA for a little while). What county was this in? Fairfax county is THE worst! I am facing a 97 in a 55 in fairfax county and already have a lawyer but am prepared to do jail time (hope that I wont have to). Fair warning to all of you that drive through VA, DONT speed, especially in northern VA. Its also considered a misdemeanor. Your speed is not that bad. A good lawyer should be able to get the charge reduced and you shouldnt do jail time. How is your driving history? After all is said and done, it comes down to which redneck judge you get. Speeding tickets are the biggest scam if you ask me! When you have 600hp under your right foot its pretty hard NOT to speed.
I hear you... Fairfax is THE worst! My cousin lives there and I'm in the area every now and then. I've gotten a few tickets in past, but the last one I got was 4 years ago. Does your lawyer predict you might see jail time?

Old 12-21-2006, 01:27 AM
topspn is infamous around these parts
Jon,

Dude, I didn't even realize this was you when I posted. Damnnnnnnnnnn....sorry, didn't mean to scare you. I don't think your speed is that crazy so hopefully with a good lawyer this won't be a big deal.

Just had a meeting with Simon tonight and we're having great Korean dinner tomorrow night. Hope to see ya when you get here in January. I'm here through the holidays, and I think Simon gets back on the 2nd. I'm guessing he keeps you up on our progress in Korea?

Old 12-21-2006, 08:49 AM
blackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by evo_333
I hear you... Fairfax is THE worst! My cousin lives there and I'm in the area every now and then. I've gotten a few tickets in past, but the last one I got was 4 years ago. Does your lawyer predict you might see jail time?
He says it can go either way Gotta get my driving record to see how bad it is, lol. Needless to say, I will be staying out of fairfax county whenever possible. Going to jail for speeding on an empty highway at midnight should NOT be a jailable offense.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:10 AM
Teuton is infamous around these parts
VA is absolutely draconian when it comes to traffic enforcement. Too bad they can't do anything to stem the gang violence in the area. Oh well, I guess they can just ticket people instead (/end sarcasm).

Unfortunately, a good friend just moved to the Reston area. Up until now, I have had almost no reason to cross the river. I stay on my side, and the FFX/Arlington County traffic ****'s can have their side.

If I sound bitter, I am. I got a ticket in Arlington county on my way home from work for 29 in a 25 zone.

Pete

Old 12-21-2006, 10:31 AM
TraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of light
As absurd as it sounds alot of these small towns do not have a full time district attorney. They have a part time DA who often maintain their own legal practice.

Can you find out who the DA is and if they maintain their own private practice?

My father (78) was scared about all the horror stories of speeders going to jail. I told him i hired the DA for the local county as the attorney for his case. Its basically a revenue generator. If you can make this entire mess go way for under $500 or $1k do it.

Just think of it as another tax.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:32 AM
PTarga is infamous around these parts
As I am sure you are all aware, traffic enforcement revenue is built into every police department's budget. Small towns that don't get large grants from the state are that much more desperate for revenue. The quota system is alive and well.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:00 AM
blackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of light
I dont mind paying the fine. Its the jailtime and insurance that hurts.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by topspn
Jon,

Dude, I didn't even realize this was you when I posted. Damnnnnnnnnnn....sorry, didn't mean to scare you. I don't think your speed is that crazy so hopefully with a good lawyer this won't be a big deal.
w
Just had a meetineg with Simon tonight and we're having great Korean dinner tomorrow night. Hope to see ya when you get here in January. I'm here through the holidays, and I think Simon gets back on the 2nd. I'm guessing he keeps you up on our progress in Korea?
no worries I don't think it should be too big of a deal, just got to find a good lawyer and be done with it!

Yup, I've heard the progress in Korea. the new venture sounds interesting. I think Simon's coming up to NY this wekend, we're going to grab a bite on Friday and discuss

Old 12-22-2006, 10:35 AM
exactly......

Old 12-22-2006, 11:17 AM
ZX9RCAM is infamous around these parts
I just got my insurance bill yesterday & the ticket I got in VA (over a year ago) for wreckless driving did not affect my Texas insurance at all.....evidently it did not follow
me here....at least I am hoping...

Old 12-22-2006, 11:40 AM
gxlex is infamous around these partsgxlex is infamous around these parts
" Too bad they can't do anything to stem the gang violence in the area."

That would mean they would have to get off their behind and do some meaningful work. It's much easier to hide behind bushes and hand out speeding tickets.

Old 12-22-2006, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM
I just got my insurance bill yesterday & the ticket I got in VA (over a year ago) for wreckless driving did not affect my Texas insurance at all.....evidently it did not follow
me here....at least I am hoping...
If you have an out of state license, many times it does not transfer over. Some insurance companies dont even check your record until you make a claim.

Old 12-22-2006, 11:43 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by evo_333
I hate you, Eli
I know..... Seriously though, hire an attorney.

-Eli

Old 12-25-2006, 12:19 PM
SRC4S is infamous around these parts
Same thing happened to me on I-95 in Virginia. Cop nailed me doing 95 in a 65. He demanded I get out of the car and he told me to sit inside his car. It was a little strange b/c usually, they will write you up while you're sitting like a little puss in your own car.
While writing me up, I asked how he clocked me. and then he went onto shooting other cars passing by to demonstrate how he uses his radar. All the while, I'm thinking that this is probably one of the nicest troopers so he'll probably give me a lesser charge. NOPE. I still got the 95 in 65.
I had a mandatory court appearance. I didn't get a lawyer though. The judge gave me a lesser charge and then I pleaded guilty. Paid a fine and I was suspended from driving in VA for a year which didn't matter considering I didn't have any reason to go back there. Good thing I brought a maryland friend along to drive me out of VA b/c my suspension started immediately that day! I did end up getting 2 points transferred to my NJ record.
Long story short, I think I got lucky. I didn't use an attorney. And my charges were brought down. Worst case scenario could have been me sitting in jail as I know that the judge talked about the maximum penalty being jail time. I nearly crapped in my pants when i heard that. Whew! Now this was nearly ten years ago so YMMV.
good luck! and I agree with the rest of the board... get a lawyer.

Last edited by SRC4S; 12-25-2006 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:24 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
^^^you DEFINITELY got lucky...

I dont know about the legal advice given thusfar but I would start concidering whats "important" to you...maybe offering a HEAFTY fine and spension of license in VA if neccesary to stay out of jail...IF the case should go that far... However, it looks like you wont get completely nailed on this as your speed wasnt that bad.

Va is the worst...the only state I really do stick to 5 over...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Got a speeding ticket in VA: Need help