996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Got a speeding ticket in VA: Need help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 12:51 AM
evo_333 is infamous around these partsevo_333 is infamous around these parts
Got a speeding ticket in VA: Need help

Just as the title suggests... I was driving from north carolina back to new york and got pulled over for a 86 in a 55 (reckless driving). I actually saw the cop driving on the other side of the road when he "supposedly" clocked me. There was a large median between the two-way road and there were some cars around us, so I'm quite skeptical about the accuracy of his radar. Plus, I know I wasn't going that fast as I was travelling the same pace as the other cars (albeit we were travelling over the speed limit). I hate to say it but I felt like it was another p-car profiling from a small town cop (had this happen to me before).

Now, I have a mandatory court appearance in the middle of nowhere (accomack, VA) and I need to find legal counsel. UGH Has anyone dealt with a similar situation? Or better yet, any VA people know of any good legal help? I really need to find a good lawyer and have this done with... I don't want to show up to court as its almost 7+ hours away from me, but I don't know if I can get out of it...

Any help would be appreciated... Rep points for all responses (within reason)

Old 12-20-2006, 01:22 AM
simon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to behold
Bummer about the ticket.

I did a quick search on Lawyer.com and came up with these.

http://www.lawyers.com/Traffic-Viola...law-firms.html

Is it possible to request the court move the hearing to a location closer ?
I've heard of a few people here that got tickets and had the venue changed due to hardship.

I doubt the cop would drive 7+ hours just to show up in court near you.

Worth calling a few lawyers in the area though, maybe one of the knows the cop.

:-)

Old 12-20-2006, 01:31 AM
Alex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant future
Quick, get a GA license.

Old 12-20-2006, 01:46 AM
AsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the rough
I dont know the specific laws in VA..but I can possibly help you.

If he got you on RADAR...easy ticket to win especially of your story is correct.

Before you PM me...you have to make the decision...are you serious about fighting this ticket? Meaning taking time off from work..going to court at least a couple more times etc? If you are truly serious...I can help you.

There are a couple of things you need to do to prep your case...but the way you got popped sounds pretty easy to win, unless the judge is being a jerk and is not hearing it. As you know..you can present the best case there is and still lose....so no guarantees.

Send a PM with your # and I will give ya buzz. Here is one hint...

MATH is your friend..and Miles Per Hour also equals Feet per Second...therein lies the answers to beating this ticket!

Old 12-20-2006, 02:02 AM
Alex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant futureAlex has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by AsianImage
Here is one hint...

MATH is your friend..and Miles Per Hour also equals Feet per Second...therein lies the answers to beating this ticket!
Would you mind elaborating?

Old 12-20-2006, 02:08 AM
AsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Alex
Would you mind elaborating?
it would take me too much time to type it out...but I used this to beat my speeding ticket.

It just made me think and the principle applies to lots of situations that you can use to beat a speeding ticket.

it is also a known fact that RADAR tickets are the EASIEST to win...the hardest to win is when a cop PACES you....those are almost impossible to win. Radar is easy because there are soooo many variables that can give an innacuarate read. Plus cops have to prove they are trained properly, the correct model that is recognized...last time he was certified etc..and in LOS ANGELES for sure...cops have to show a survey of the street he RADAR on. You cannot just radar any highway you want. You have to have a survey done on the road before it can be radared. Soooo...I dont know if that is true in VA.

Old 12-20-2006, 03:20 AM
NDP23 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by AsianImage
it would take me too much time to type it out...but I used this to beat my speeding ticket.

It just made me think and the principle applies to lots of situations that you can use to beat a speeding ticket.

it is also a known fact that RADAR tickets are the EASIEST to win...the hardest to win is when a cop PACES you....those are almost impossible to win. Radar is easy because there are soooo many variables that can give an innacuarate read. Plus cops have to prove they are trained properly, the correct model that is recognized...last time he was certified etc..and in LOS ANGELES for sure...cops have to show a survey of the street he RADAR on. You cannot just radar any highway you want. You have to have a survey done on the road before it can be radared. Soooo...I dont know if that is true in VA.

VA is a complete different story.......Who pulled you over? State Trooper? I can point you in the right direction. I will try and PM you the info for a good lawyer. There is a very slim chance I might be able to help you out with out a lawyer. Depends on who gave you the ticket.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:26 AM
mjl
mjl is infamous around these parts
VA absolutely sucks when it comes to speeding tickets. I'm in MD and never do more then 20 over the limit in VA., especially the small hick towns.
A friend of mine with a new Z06 just went through the same thing,(30+ over the limit, reckless driving) spent serious $ on an atty and got no break in court. He was paced though, and his atty says he would have gotten it reduced if it was radar. You have to get a good atty - if you need rec.'s I can also get you name/number.
Good luck.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:39 AM
tweety is infamous around these parts
I too got a ticket in VA on the way home with my new toy of only 12 hours.
It was a Sunday morning and there wasn't a soul around but me and the plane above. The radar never went off and the cop that pulled me over was a few miles down the road AFTER I had slowed down.
I was doing 130-135 at the time and he gave me 80/65 or else I would have to come back to court for the reckless driving.
How are you sure that you didn't get tagged from above? The signs are everywhere and the 3 lines on the road aren't hard to miss unless you are moving like I was.

I was on 81S about 12-20 miles from the border, about to leave the state.

Last edited by tweety; 12-20-2006 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:45 AM
TraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of light
My father got nailed with a speeding ticket and mandatory appearance. hire a lawyer to make the appearance for you. Its not worth a day of your time or aggravation

http://www.speedingticket.net/cf/VA_Result.cfm

Old 12-20-2006, 12:03 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Take you advise from someone who's gotten almost every ticket in the book. That's right I think I'm pretty close to 35 tickets now.

With something like this it's in your best intrest to hire a lawyer. You can have one represend you, no need to appear, if he's good he'll try to make your trile date on one when the cop is off-duty. He might also plea bargan it down to a simple infraction or nothing at all with a "court cost" fine.

Trust me on this one, you dont' want a RD on your record, some states will carry double points on this offence.

-Eli

Old 12-20-2006, 12:45 PM
UCrazyKid is infamous around these partsUCrazyKid is infamous around these parts
It sounds to me that this ticket might be too serious to use this resource, but others might be interested.
http://www.ticketassassin.com/

Old 12-20-2006, 01:39 PM
well..sounds like VA is pretty harsh....maybe my advice wont help since the state is strict.

FWIW if you are still interested in fighting this sans lawyer...I can help. At least with a consultation...

Old 12-20-2006, 01:48 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
I beat a speeding tickets by asking for the calibration records for the radar. In NJ it is mandatory to have radar calibrated annually... good luck

Old 12-20-2006, 02:18 PM
ZX9RCAM is infamous around these parts
I got a ticket in Va. the morining after I bought my 996 on the way home
to Houston....99 in a 65.
He also said that he had "paced" me at 100.

Obviously wreckless driving & officer said I would probably have to appear.

I pulled this man's name off the internet & he took care of it for me.

John Graham.......email is [grahams@smyth.net]

I had heard horror stories about it being as serious as a DUI.

I believe I paid him in the neighborhood of $400.00 to take care
of everything for me.....I did not have to go back & it was worth it!!!

The fine was $616.00, but it
was a lesson learned.....dont speed through Virginia........

Let me know if you have any other questions & I'll try to answer them.

- Cam

Last edited by ZX9RCAM; 12-20-2006 at 02:21 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Got a speeding ticket in VA: Need help