996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Finally did it...SSK install - comments, impressions,thank yous and pics!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 06:37 PM
AsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the rough
Finally did it...SSK install - comments, impressions,thank yous and pics!

So first of all thanks to all that helped me on this project...

THANK YOU to Eric for a great deal on an excellent product.

THANK YOU to Arling at Lucent Motors for being professional and courteous to me when I was asking dumb questions regarding the install. I was planning on taking my car to his shop for this install...until I got some help. But...I will definitely have Arling help me on future mods.

and a big THANK YOU to daytrader aka Peter for opening his home, tools and his skills to a complete stranger. What a nice guy...

ok here are the pics:

pulling it out..

fresh from the box

out the center console comes..

naked

new piece.

pretty much done...

another tip...when doing the install...with a helper or friend? SHUT UP and STOP YAPPING! Man...Peter and I were talking so dang much...we added like an extra hour to the install. I could of shaved off at least 30 mins if we just stopped yapping.

But I guess it is easy when you have cool people that are easy to talk to. =)

Old 12-24-2006, 06:48 PM
PeterW is infamous around these parts
That's funny, I just got mine done today.

The instruction was very good and took me less than 2 hours to finish it (no problem at all!)

The shifter now feels heavier, shorter travel, but more precise. I like it and I would highly recommand this mod as a "must have", especially as a DIY project!

Eric, also thank you for the great deal!

Happy Holidays
Peter

Old 12-24-2006, 08:40 PM
daytrader is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the nice words from AsianImage. I had a great time. Really glad to get chance to meet a member from this forum in person. AsianImage is a gentleman. He trusted me enough with his lady for me to worked on.

Hopefully, I will meet more members like AsianImage. Merry Christmas to all.

Old 12-24-2006, 09:23 PM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
great job on the ssk install guys! u have ballz to work on your cars..

Old 12-24-2006, 09:27 PM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
Great job, my first one was long, next was easy, now i have to do another one..LOL

btw.. what unit are u using for your audio? it fits on the bottom
console? do you still need your radio? why dont you remove it and ut cup holders

Old 12-25-2006, 03:21 AM
AsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 02barebones996
great job on the ssk install guys! u have ballz to work on your cars..
That would make me ball-less...since I did nothing but distract him from working faster! hahahaha...yeah I am a big chicken. I need someone else with the ***** to work on cars.

I am sure Daytrader's install is going to be done in less than an hour since he already did it once and he doesnt have me talking in his ear!

Old 12-25-2006, 03:22 AM
Originally Posted by alex911s
Great job, my first one was long, next was easy, now i have to do another one..LOL

btw.. what unit are u using for your audio? it fits on the bottom
console? do you still need your radio? why dont you remove it and ut cup holders
I have an Alpine monitor..it is a stand alone monitor hooked up to a 6 DVD changer. Does not have any audio functions or nav. Just a monitor. The original owner wanted to retain all the factory controls and factory radio etc.

Old 12-25-2006, 03:25 AM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Daytrader,
Believe us, you will never meet anyone else like AsianImage

Old 12-25-2006, 11:31 AM
Jurichar is infamous around these parts
Asianimage....How do you like the SSK??

Old 12-25-2006, 12:00 PM
SRC4S is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Jurichar
Asianimage....How do you like the SSK??
If he's not posting back, it's probably b/c he's out driving

Old 12-25-2006, 12:05 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
glad to see stuff like this, I usually rely on myself for installs. It nice to see fellow 6speeders helping out.

Old 12-25-2006, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by SRC4S
If he's not posting back, it's probably b/c he's out driving
lol good point!!!

Luckly bastard...we have a foot of snow on the roads here

Old 12-25-2006, 02:03 PM
Yo Jurichar...I love it. I am a believer...I am drinking the KOOL AID...what a mod.

The feeling is so different and positive from the factory. I havent gotten to really rip on a freeway and really rail the gears but so far..in regular stop light jumps..the shifts from 1-2-3 are AWESOME. Man...I am a true fan of this mod from now on. SSK all the way...and with the price special..and good people on the board willing to help complete strangers...what else can you ask for right?

Great way to start my xmas and new years! New mod and a new friend. All is well in my world.

Old 12-25-2006, 02:22 PM
awesome.......

Cant wait for spring now!!!

Old 12-25-2006, 04:35 PM
Brucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to all
I know my friend Vince (vincentdds) will have his for sale in a week or two. I drove his GT2 and hated the way it felt! he drove my car with the RUF setup and feels way better. So this week we are taking the B&M out and installed the RUF unit..

the B&M is just too notchy for me

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally did it...SSK install - comments, impressions,thank yous and pics!