996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

EVO Supercharger and CA Smog

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 01:28 AM
karlooz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by AsianImage
If the EVO has a CARB exemption you should be fine. As for visual..it depends on who is doing it.

Trust me there are alot of guys that look in that engine and as long as it was all done right, they cant even tell the difference. They are usually looking for CAIs..and fart can exh...

I thought the Evo kits were CARB exempt...?
the EVO kits are not CARB exempt and i am afraid will never be. funny thing is nothing regarding CARB is stated on evoms and vfengineerings website.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:09 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by karlooz
i think smog is required after 4 years and i am almost positive it's not after 7 years. my smog is coming up in march. even if we find someone who will turn a blind eye at the visual test, no one knows if it will pass the sniffer. i can only guess that it will since most of the mapping change is when the car is WOT. the smog roller test is done at 15 mph and 30 mph and at part throttle so the engine is at vacuum. maybe if the car is reflashed back to stock.... hmmm
Hey Karlooz,

Actually two guys now with the SC that bought cars out of state (so they had to get it done every 2 years) have already passed the emissions test and um... somehow the visual as well. It's amazing how people really don't know much about these cars and if you're lucky well you should be ok. Their set ups were the SC, headers and a muffler but with stock cats. Amazing how clean these cars burn!

Old 01-05-2007, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by sharkster
Hey Karlooz,

Actually two guys now with the SC that bought cars out of state (so they had to get it done every 2 years) have already passed the emissions test and um... somehow the visual as well. It's amazing how people really don't know much about these cars and if you're lucky well you should be ok. Their set ups were the SC, headers and a muffler but with stock cats. Amazing how clean these cars burn!
yo a lex.

that's good to hear. i guess i just have to take a risk. the problem is what is the penalty if the tester fails you?

Old 01-05-2007, 01:01 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
yo a lex.

that's good to hear. i guess i just have to take a risk. the problem is what is the penalty if the tester fails you?
Well _never_ go in saying I want to "smog".. just ask for a "pre-test". Say you just bought the car and wanted to know

Old 01-05-2007, 01:12 PM
AsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the rough
the EVO kits are not CARB exempt and i am afraid will never be. funny thing is nothing regarding CARB is stated on evoms and vfengineerings website.
hmm...good to know. Without a CARB exempt..you may get busted down the line. When I had my BMW...I know all DINAN stuff..even the SC were Carb exempt and did not void warranty..and IIRC the VF SC kit for the E39 5 series was really close to getting a carb sticker...

Old 01-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by sharkster
Well _never_ go in saying I want to "smog".. just ask for a "pre-test". Say you just bought the car and wanted to know

good tip. thx

Old 01-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by AsianImage
hmm...good to know. Without a CARB exempt..you may get busted down the line. When I had my BMW...I know all DINAN stuff..even the SC were Carb exempt and did not void warranty..and IIRC the VF SC kit for the E39 5 series was really close to getting a carb sticker...
that's cool that dinan covered all the bases. my personal feeling is that evo doesn't really care.

Old 01-07-2007, 03:24 AM
Tool Pants is infamous around these parts
The visual inspection should be done first, because if you do not pass that then there is no reason to put your car on the dyno.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:42 AM
ChromeHearts is infamous around these parts
theres plenty of places in SoCal that will pass it... if you're interested PM me.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:01 AM
Banned
DimNSlow has a spectacular aura aboutDimNSlow has a spectacular aura aboutDimNSlow has a spectacular aura about
i think smog is required after 4 years and i am almost positive it's not after 7 years. my smog is coming up in march. even if we find someone who will turn a blind eye at the visual test, no one knows if it will pass the sniffer. i can only guess that it will since most of the mapping change is when the car is WOT. the smog roller test is done at 15 mph and 30 mph and at part throttle so the engine is at vacuum. maybe if the car is reflashed back to stock.... hmmm
I thought it was every 2 for used cars...

Old 01-18-2007, 03:50 AM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DimNSlow
I thought it was every 2 for used cars...
Its every 2 years, but...if your car is purchased used and is older than 4 years old. If new, no smog is required for 4 years, then every other year after that.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Banned
DimNSlow has a spectacular aura aboutDimNSlow has a spectacular aura aboutDimNSlow has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by newport996
Its every 2 years, but...if your car is purchased used and is older than 4 years old. If new, no smog is required for 4 years, then every other year after that.
So I think both Robyn and I fall under the every 2 year category... Kirb, you still got a year or so left right?

Old 01-18-2007, 11:12 AM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
Nope, this will be the 4th year, haha

Old 01-18-2007, 12:02 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Itzkirb
Nope, this will be the 4th year, haha
I heard there is this Unocal station at Serramonte right by the Mall that does no real visual. So if you can just pass regular smog, you're set.

I have not gone there yet but my coworker has a Celica that basically was completely retuned, new headers, SC, all the works. I figure if that can pass it, pretty much anything we have can.

Old 05-26-2007, 09:44 AM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
OK, now I need to SMOG...Carlos? Anyone....

Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EVO Supercharger and CA Smog