996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

EVO Supercharger and CA Smog

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 10:35 AM
Banned
DimNSlow has a spectacular aura aboutDimNSlow has a spectacular aura aboutDimNSlow has a spectacular aura about
Already? Doh... maybe try that Serramonte spot... I'll post here when I find out more on exactly where that pesky station is. I'd imagine there's only one Unocal station there...

Old 05-26-2007, 10:39 AM
karlooz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Itzkirb
OK, now I need to SMOG...Carlos? Anyone....

Thanks
mine's due in july but the car is track only now .

DimNSlow has a hookup. maybe try them.

funny thing, the vortech SC is CARB exempt (per vortech) but it's the GIAC remap that is not exempt.

Last edited by karlooz; 05-26-2007 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:28 AM
bowmanm98 is infamous around these parts
There are also certain counties you can register the car that do not require smog.

Old 05-26-2007, 12:37 PM
simon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to behold
I got mine through in December.

It passed the sniffer test, but was hard up against the limits.
I took it to two places, both holes in the walls. The first time I had the "supercharger" plate on the cooler and it was spotted immediately.

I removed the plate and took it elsewhere and it was pretty much just ignored.

The trick is to take it for a pre-test, not a real test.

The first place asked why it needed a pre-test, as it should "just pass". I told him it had recently thrown a couple of CEL's that I'd switched off and they'd gone away and so I was worried about that.

When the pre-test passes, ask them to do a real test on it, assuming it passes. You'll pay twice.

The second place, well, it turned out I had connections with them and didn't know it and while they suspected something might be up they passed it.

Mine also has FVD headers and pipes and definitely sounds different. So, i guess the other trick is to take it to back street places that have never seen inside an engine compartment of a 911 before. One guy said he'd be "honored" if he could drive it into the mechanics bay. Hehe.

I don't feel too bad about it, it was not a polluting "planet killer" as my buddy calls it, it was ok on the emissions.

Last edited by simon; 05-26-2007 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:54 AM
911h20 is infamous around these parts
I just had my stock 99 C2 smogged and the first thing they do is the visual and once you pass that then the pipe test. When tech looked at the engine compartment he had no idea what he was looking for, just a brief glance, 15 seconds max. With an SC you might want to remove any non Porsche stickers.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:22 AM
Mother is infamous around these parts
In arizona I don't recall them even starting the car they just hooked up with computer and took last readings and if ok on to gas cap test then visual and most techs do not know what they are looking at. I had this done 6 months ago on my toyota and could be mistaken !! Just my opinion but I think this is over kill I would not care what is under the hood if the emissions pass. I also wonder if it is possible take it through, pay the money but "NOT" having it put on the record sort of pretest is allowed. I thought the idea is to have a car that burns to the requirements is what they want, but would give you an idea which test facilites are sticklers and which are not.

Last edited by Mother; 05-27-2007 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:18 PM
simon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by karlooz
the EVO kits are not CARB exempt and i am afraid will never be. funny thing is nothing regarding CARB is stated on evoms and vfengineerings website.
I had emails from both Todd and some other guy stating that the paperwork is in fact submitted for CARB cert. I don't know whether it would retroactively be applied to us guys too. I hope it is.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:45 AM
karlooz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by simon
I had emails from both Todd and some other guy stating that the paperwork is in fact submitted for CARB cert. I don't know whether it would retroactively be applied to us guys too. I hope it is.
ya simon. i got the same story from evo too. that was 2 years ago. this kit has been out for ~5 years?

i got a evo cold air intake for my old boxster and they said CARB paperwork was submitted. that was ~6 years ago.

i WON'T be holding my breath.

Last edited by karlooz; 05-28-2007 at 12:49 AM.