996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Supercharger owners (or not) please chime in

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 01:08 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Nope. It has a slight rattle to it when the engine lid is open, but it's not audible when closed. Sounds like they did something weird with the mount. You may want to look at other's installs to see if your is the same. If you can't find any pics, I will take some for you.

Could you EVO supercharger guys to me a favor? I have an EVO supercharger owner's registry thread going in the 996 section. Would you mind checking in and posting there? It's very simple and will only take a minute.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:55 PM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
hey my2000carrera,

i am doing my research and i have the same problem. everybody hears the metal hitting metal sound in our supercharged VF cars and i had my engine removed (dropped) to some minor repairs and guess what they found? some of the sound is coming from the lower section of the supercharger hitting the frame!!! so to answer all the questions, if you're heading the metal to metal hitting sound, it's probably your supercharger hitting your subframe. i talked to a few people on how you solve this problem, one is to cut the frame so it doens't make contact any more and i think RedRdige ended up just squashing that part of the frame with a hammer so it doens't touch.

also, an upgraded motormount may help to minimize the engine movement/vibration so it's less likely to touch

Old 01-05-2009, 02:18 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Jason, the noise Im refering to is a knocking noise internal to the SC itself... It appears to be normal. ( check this vid... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urda3ZqrGU0) The SC noise hitting or resting on the frame is a different issue. BTW, you have the internal oil setup, our setup gets its oil from the engine... not sure if this noise is oil pressure related since at idle it is the least amount of oil pressure. Im gonna go 15w-50 on the oil to see if it makes a diff, from what I heard the Vortech likes the thicker oil... and I would rather run with the higher oil pressure with this setup.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:30 PM
my2000carrera is infamous around these parts
Jason,

my problem was the motor mounts were worn out. I replaced them with standard OEM mounts and that noise went away. The charger itself still has an internal noise at idle but it work fine.

Tony

Old 01-05-2009, 08:24 PM
Breakthru is infamous around these parts
Hopefully i don't get laughed at this question, but will the car pass smog with a sc installed?