996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Supercharger owners (or not) please chime in

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 03:53 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Talking Supercharger owners (or not) please chime in

My questions/comments are:
1. When there is an S/C mechanical failure, shouldn't there be a filter or a
screen of some sort for the oil lines so that the
engine is protected from S/C debri.
2. With the S/C spinning at 50,000 rpm, there's gotta be some metalic
residue from the S/C that can flow back into the engine. Agree/Disagree?
3. Is this rattle/knocking noise normal?
4. What type of oil do you guys use? I use 0w-40, but thinking go thicker to stop some of the oil that just started to weep out.
from S/C and other areas of the engine (mostly from the top of variocam and
variocam sensor area).

I do have to say people on this site are awesome and respect the opinions (aside from 1 or 2 or...),
I appreciate the input/comments.

I would like to post some pics but can't upload... But the oil leak comes from underneath the S/C so, I guess you get the picture.

Last edited by Redridge; 03-22-2007 at 02:10 AM.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:05 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
There should be no leaks. Is it leaking around the oil fitting? Might need snugging up, but be careful as the brass is easily broken. Or is it commping from the bottom of the intake connection to the compressor? Also, any crap from the SC that would get into the oil will flow directly to the oil pan, making it harmless. You may has a slight rattle ar idle when old, but that is quickly gone once wamed up. Unless you normally store your car in sub ZERO temps, do not use 0W40. In Chicago, I use 15W50 year round. Occasionally I have used 5W50, but prefer the 15W50.

Old 01-06-2007, 05:17 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
There should be no leaks. Is it leaking around the oil fitting? Might need snugging up, but be careful as the brass is easily broken. Or is it commping from the bottom of the intake connection to the compressor? Also, any crap from the SC that would get into the oil will flow directly to the oil pan, making it harmless. You may has a slight rattle ar idle when old, but that is quickly gone once wamed up. Unless you normally store your car in sub ZERO temps, do not use 0W40. In Chicago, I use 15W50 year round. Occasionally I have used 5W50, but prefer the 15W50.
no, it is not leaking around the oil fittings, those are good. it is leaking at the bottom between the S/C and the S/C bracket (def between two metal joinings).
This S/C has 300 Miles on it. It should be new unless this is a refurb . I did get this system at that S/C group buys. Maybe, I got a rebuilt special. So you S/C doesnt rattle? Mine is loud enough to hear it from the drivers seat, and I have sport exhaust.
How is the oil flow on this S/C? Is the Oil intake on top of the s/c then exits via gravity to the front/bottom of the engine. If thats the case then the engine oil filter should cover the S/C debris then.
I live in NJ and thinking about 15w-40. is 15w to heavy for NJ. 5w or 10w are the norm around here. I dont drive it in winter. Its a weekend car.

Old 01-06-2007, 07:52 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
The unit is either bad or installed wrong. Have it redone or a new one put in. It should not be heard over the exhaust or leak any oil.

Old 01-06-2007, 11:08 PM
simon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to behold
Mine rattles slightly from a cold start and under load with low revs, like crawling along in 1st gear at idle. Very slight, other than that it's barely noticeable.

I do have an oil leak as well, not sure where it's coming from at this point, it's only a couple of drops and it only started just before christmas. I just drove a round trip of 1000 miles in it and it used virtually no oil so it must only be very slight.

My cam covers leak as well, so I'll need to get under it soon and check all the nuts and bolts are tight. I think PSS9's on a very stiff setting and San Jose roads are shaking this baby apart.

Old 01-07-2007, 02:56 PM
AsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the rough
I have heard rattles from a buddy's BMW E39 540 that has the VF supercharger. When he had it installed it was pretty loud. We all thought it was something wrong too...at idle it made a little clanking noise...like a loose bearing.

It was supposedly "normal" so...

EDIT- here is the video I posted on Youtube. The car had less than 100 miles on it post install. You can hear the noise in the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urda3ZqrGU0

Old 01-07-2007, 03:17 PM
simon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to behold
When I had my original install done the SC sounded just like that.
Sharkwerks said they'd seen a couple with the same noise and it generally goes away after 500 miles or so. Mine didn't so James and Sharky pulled the SC and put in another one that made no noises.

:-)

Old 01-07-2007, 07:26 PM
Thats good to know AI... thanks for that vid. Yeah mines sounds like that. the car pull like a freight train and works great.
Simon...you mentioned your S/C rattles at idle was this the first or second S/C.

Just to let you know guys... I was out driving the 3.4 today. I was at a light trying to make a left when a turbo passed by. So I made a right instead and followed it. He pulled to an exit to the highway and was driving pretty aggressive, so I can see that he wanted to blow me away. I was right behind him all the way up to 135. I pulled over to the right and shut it down. I dont really know how hard he was trying, but I know I was. I never let the tach dropped below 5000. Im not saying that the 3.4 was faster but it sure held its own. We eventually met up again down the highway and just nodded at each other. But I had the bigger
I was in awe of what this little 3.4 just did. Now Im a believer.
I went back home and put it on the lift, the leak was minimal... maybe I should go 15w-40.

Last edited by Redridge; 03-22-2007 at 02:12 AM.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:24 PM
jungzilla is infamous around these parts
mine also has a slight rattle at idle even after 12k. seems to be the same kind of sound that everybody else has. no oil leak.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:30 PM
Chasen1211 is a jewel in the roughChasen1211 is a jewel in the roughChasen1211 is a jewel in the rough
a quick question, for the superchargher owners, do you guys have a 100 octane program or options like that with the ecu??? sorry for the hijack...

Old 09-21-2007, 07:07 PM
my2000carrera is infamous around these parts
I just got my car back with the Evo supercharger installed, does everyone's still make that noise or does it go away?
It really doesn't sound right. I love the way it pulls but its somewhat embarassing at a stop light.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:39 PM
mine has stopped making noise, I guess it took some time to break in, especially at the track

Old 09-22-2007, 09:15 AM
Mother is infamous around these parts
1. When there is an S/C mechanical failure, shouldn't there be a filter or a
screen of some sort for the oil lines so that the
engine is protected from S/C debri.
A. If you had a failure it would be nice just never heard of any.

2. With the S/C spinning at 50,000 rpm, there's gotta be some metalic
residue from the S/C that can flow back into the engine. Agree/Disagree?
A. I agree only in that over millions of years things just seem to disintegrate. Nothing worth mentioning.

3. Is this rattle/knocking noise normal?
A. Some say yes but mine does not so far.

4. What type of oil do you guys use? I use 0w-40, but thinking go thicker to stop some of the oil that just started to weep out. From S/C and other areas of the engine (mostly from the top of variocam and
variocam sensor area).
A. It's a personel preference for me MOBLE 1 (15-50) it's over 115 degrees hear in summer. If from SC out line then tighten fitting, change fitting or install a Nicked sealing washer.

I do have to say people on this site are awesome and respect the opinions (aside from 1 or 2 or...),
I appreciate the input/comments.

I would like to post some pics but can't upload... But the oil leak comes from underneath the S/C so, I guess you get the picture.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:04 AM
whats good about this setup is that all of the SC debris falls into the oil pan so that the oil filter will certainly catch them,, Evo recommend changing oil at 3k-5k miles. Theres def some break in period for these SC, Evo sez 200-300 miles, but mine stopped knocking at 2K miles. i like, 15-15w it gives more oil pressure and no oil weeps, Im gonna go back to 0-40w, just to see the diff, but I like 15-50w. While your engine was out, you should of looked at your oil seperator, there are some oil weepage here. the variocam covers weeping is common, tighten them up or, or put some new gaskets. The sc leaking.. the sc is a 2 (not including the bracket) piece and there is a seal between the pieces, they rebuilt mine and put a new seal on it and the leak is gone...I thought my leak was associated with the knocking noise but when I got the SC after the resealing it was still making noise and eventually faded... mine was leaking on the bottom, same as yours.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:33 AM
my2000carrera is infamous around these parts
Did anyone have clearance issuses with the sc unit? I spoke with my shop and they said part of the reason my is so loud is because the sc is resting on the frame. Is this normal or could it be the motor mounts? (My car is a 2000 C2 Cab with 67k on the clock.)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Supercharger owners (or not) please chime in