996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Subaru WRX VS. 996

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 11:05 AM
Location: West Texas, where the roads are straight and long, and the law is few and far between.
colateralgees is infamous around these parts
maybe things are a different reality where you are, I don't know...but I'm almost 51, I don't wear caps backwards or otherwise (usually), the only neon I love to see is in Vegas, I only use coffee cans for holding coffee and nuts 'n bolts, and I rarely listen to music in any car I drive because I'd rather listen to the car...much less to a 15-inch woofer in the trunk

as far as the appearance of the cars, obviously that's up to personal taste...."clown car" in my opinion is a bit harsh, at least for the Evo's and Scoobies in stock trim....go check out the WRC Group N category results sometime....the cars look the way they do for a reason...if they didn't need to be homologated to be legal, they'd probably look a little different

anyway, if it's all down to appearance, you're entitled to your opinions...but it just seems to me you can't quite stop there...you keep getting that "didn't lust for a Subaru" type dig in your posts...

so OK, we get your drift

Old 02-29-2004, 11:07 AM
Location: West Texas, where the roads are straight and long, and the law is few and far between.
Originally posted by Prosailortim
I have to agree with colateralgees, it's all about the fun factor. Porsche's are beautiful in every aspect.... and I miss my 930 (except for the maintaince). The Evo has alittle history behind it as well, hence is why I purchased one. Porsche's are a dime a dozen where I live, while Evo's are not.

I will have $42,000 dollars into my Evo including purchase price, engine mods (400+ WHP), stereo, clear bra, and alarm system. I can tell you one thing, it feels just as good as a Porsche does at 160 MPH, very soild.

So for those of you who might want a second car that can carry 4 adults and more than an overnight bag in the trunk, checkout the Evo or the STI.... you might be surprised.
nice points...it's a big club, and there's room for everybody!

Old 02-29-2004, 11:12 AM
jasonc32amg is infamous around these parts
Re: C'mon the Sti and EVO VIII are great cars...

Originally posted by Alan
for their price. But, fundamentally they are harsh, tin cans that have peaky engines. Yes, they accelerate and handle, but at what price. They are noisy, unrefined, harsh riding, and cheap.
They are characiture cars - when I see them I expect to see clowns jumping out of them.

They are cars that are not fit for anyone over the age of 20, and tell me, is there a secret club membership that dictates that all drivers must wear their baseball caps backwards.

Kiddy cars for the kiddies.

Sorry, I don't believe Your C4S story - what C4S driver would waste their time or risk their license.
Believe what you like, ignorance is bliss I suppose, and you sir are in nirvana. Here's your precious c4s: http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2206a.shtml
Nice...but where's the beef? Here's the numbers for a stage one equivalent Evo:
http://www.vishnutuning.com/lancer_stage_zero_2.htm
Now, I'm going to assume you can read and this will substitute for your utter lack of real world experience...before you call someone a liar get your **** straight moron.

My only point initially was that the used TT represents a much better value than a new c4s, I offered my story to give some qualitative texture.

Old 02-29-2004, 11:32 AM
alamein is infamous around these parts
both the EVO VIII and WRX STI have impressive performance and easy (& cheap) upgrades. they're pretty good cars at that price point.

That said, they are pretty ugly imo plus they are not competition for Porsches or even M3s. apples to oranges ... rice to filet mignon.

Old 02-29-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by alamein
both the EVO VIII and WRX STI have impressive performance and easy (& cheap) upgrades. they're pretty good cars at that price point.

That said, they are pretty ugly imo plus they are not competition for Porsches or even M3s. apples to oranges ... rice to filet mignon.
depends on how you define "competition" I guess...

Old 02-29-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by SANDOVAL
Your Evo is the supped up pinto of 2004.

I didn't realize that Pinto's came equipped from the factory with Brembos, forged con rods, cast or forged aluminum suspension pieces, magnesium valve cover, aluminum front wings (fenders) and hood, iridium spark plugs, Recaro seats, viscous center diff and LS-rear diff, close-ratio 5-speed, MOMO steering wheel, quick-ratio rack & pinion steering, various aluminum engine accessory mounts and pulleys, electronic brake distribution, twin-scroll turbo, aluminum strut tower brace, etc...not to mention a heritage of WRC and Group N World Championships...

point being, the Evo has it where it matters when the object is fun and not primarily impressing the neighbors...

Last edited by colateralgees; 02-29-2004 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-29-2004, 12:13 PM
BiggerTwin is infamous around these parts
Are some people so insecure they have to keep beating a dead horse?

The Japanese rally car replicas compete with Porsches and M3s as transportation. They will all get you to the supermarket to buy a bag of groceries with equal efficiency. Anyone who watches the World Rally Championship, one of the most popular sports in the ROW, will understand that the WRX and Evo have a considerable amount of cachet despite their plebian roots and modest price. Anyone who knows anything about sports car will know that Porsche has about as much cachet as any manufacturer in the world.

Style, luxury, and prestige – Porsche and the other German manufactures clearly win on this one. Bang for the buck performance- the Japanese by a long shot. Relative competitive performance – depends on the individual car and driver.

For someone making substantial 6 figure income, pick whichever car you like best and leave the other guy alone to enjoy his choice. For someone making modest 5 figure income, buy Japanese and enjoy your car but don’t knock a Porsche because it is really in a different league.

I owned a WRX, don’t wear my hat backwards, made my living in a courtroom, and don’t have to defend my choices to anyone. This “my car is better than yours†thread is childish at best and ludicrous when comparing inexpensive rally replicas to the venerable 911.

Just my two cents. I could be wrong.

Alan

Old 02-29-2004, 12:24 PM
Old 02-29-2004, 01:13 PM
Re: Are some people so insecure they have to keep beating a dead horse?

Originally posted by BiggerTwin
The Japanese rally car replicas compete with Porsches and M3s as transportation. They will all get you to the supermarket to buy a bag of groceries with equal efficiency. Anyone who watches the World Rally Championship, one of the most popular sports in the ROW, will understand that the WRX and Evo have a considerable amount of cachet despite their plebian roots and modest price. Anyone who knows anything about sports car will know that Porsche has about as much cachet as any manufacturer in the world.

Style, luxury, and prestige – Porsche and the other German manufactures clearly win on this one. Bang for the buck performance- the Japanese by a long shot. Relative competitive performance – depends on the individual car and driver.

For someone making substantial 6 figure income, pick whichever car you like best and leave the other guy alone to enjoy his choice. For someone making modest 5 figure income, buy Japanese and enjoy your car but don’t knock a Porsche because it is really in a different league.

I owned a WRX, don’t wear my hat backwards, made my living in a courtroom, and don’t have to defend my choices to anyone. This “my car is better than yours†thread is childish at best and ludicrous when comparing inexpensive rally replicas to the venerable 911.

Just my two cents. I could be wrong.

Alan
pretty much what I said to begin with...except I think the income thing is (or could be) irrelevant...I can afford either, but the Evo, for me, is more pure fun...the fact it's a fraction of the price is just a bonus

one other caveat....the "rally car replicas" are not really replicas per se....they are pretty much what they race in Group N

Old 02-29-2004, 01:14 PM
karlooz is infamous around these parts
DEAD HORSE! i agree. hey if you think that you EVO is better looking than my 996 then, whatever. that's your opion.

i also agree that, for me, it's not an image thing. some think that it shows that "you have arrived". who gives a ****. i have wanted a 911 since the first time i saw one at 5 years old. i could care less if someone oggles my car or even looks down on me for thinking i am too austentatious (sp?). i got my 996 used for LESS than 40K. i am not a MR.moneybags kinda guy unlike some on this board.

(aside: hey, now i can supercharge my 996 and have stock 996TT performance for the same amount for a souped up EVO)

i really don't care that you could buy 3 EVOs for one new porsche. are dealers still marking them up and holding out for 40K?

MY point is WHY are the EVO guys trying to convince me that their car is "better" than mine? i am not going onto your board and trash your "pride and joy", so WHY are you here? are you gonna force your aesthetic sensibilites onto me? no amount of money can make me think your car is more beautiful than mine. all of your arguments are falling onto deaf ears.

we all bought our cars for different reasons and leave it at that. if i wanted a gruppe c, dtm, touring car, sedan wannabe sports car, etc..., then i wouldn't have bought a porsche (my second, boxster being my first).

FWIW, i have driven my friend's WRX, stock, and you can't convince me that it's tinny box feeling cabin has a better build than a porsche. it is raw definitely. if that's what you want then bully for you

i am quite impressed how much performance you can pack into those engines for the price! why does everything have to be so expensive for porsche tuning? it also sucks that around here 80-100bucks/hour is the going rate for indy porsche shops and for other speed shops is 30-50/hr

blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah,...

Old 02-29-2004, 01:42 PM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
This message is for jasonC32amg

I really didn't call you a liar, but if it makes you feel better...OK you're a moronic liar.

I'm sure that as you "pulled" on that C4S, at I assume high speed, you had the time to look at the driver, and to determine that he had a frustrated look on his face.

Maybe the guy was constipated or maybe he was just plain annoyed at having some punk (you) who probably can't drive (you) risking an accident to prove his manhood on the street. There are certain cars I stay far away from and top of the list are EVO's - why? Because most of the 20 year olds driving them are out to prove something and I have no intention of helping them. My bet is that Porsche driver was just plain pissed at having to deal with another loser.

C32 AMG Renntech - what a laugh, probably a 240 with all the right "badges"

If you don't own a Porsche go back and play with the other children

Old 02-29-2004, 01:57 PM
Re: This message is for jasonC32amg

Originally posted by Alan
I really didn't call you a liar, but if it makes you feel better...OK you're a moronic liar.

I'm sure that as you "pulled" on that C4S, at I assume high speed, you had the time to look at the driver, and to determine that he had a frustrated look on his face.

Maybe the guy was constipated or maybe he was just plain annoyed at having some punk (you) who probably can't drive (you) risking an accident to prove his manhood on the street. There are certain cars I stay far away from and top of the list are EVO's - why? Because most of the 20 year olds driving them are out to prove something and I have no intention of helping them. My bet is that Porsche driver was just plain pissed at having to deal with another loser.

C32 AMG Renntech - what a laugh, probably a 240 with all the right "badges"

If you don't own a Porsche go back and play with the other children
Actually I pulled by him at a moderate pace...he then instigated.

As far as my c32 goes, you really have issues guy. I'd welcome you to ask Hartmut over at Renntech if he's tuned my car.

As for the ad hominems, you've demonstrated nothing but ignorance and continue to do so.

Old 02-29-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by karlooz
DEAD HORSE! i agree. hey if you think that you EVO is better looking than my 996 then, whatever. that's your opion.

i also agree that, for me, it's not an image thing. some think that it shows that "you have arrived". who gives a ****. i have wanted a 911 since the first time i saw one at 5 years old. i could care less if someone oggles my car or even looks down on me for thinking i am too austentatious (sp?). i got my 996 used for LESS than 40K. i am not a MR.moneybags kinda guy unlike some on this board.

(aside: hey, now i can supercharge my 996 and have stock 996TT performance for the same amount for a souped up EVO)

i really don't care that you could buy 3 EVOs for one new porsche. are dealers still marking them up and holding out for 40K?

MY point is WHY are the EVO guys trying to convince me that their car is "better" than mine? i am not going onto your board and trash your "pride and joy", so WHY are you here? are you gonna force your aesthetic sensibilites onto me? no amount of money can make me think your car is more beautiful than mine. all of your arguments are falling onto deaf ears.

we all bought our cars for different reasons and leave it at that. if i wanted a gruppe c, dtm, touring car, sedan wannabe sports car, etc..., then i wouldn't have bought a porsche (my second, boxster being my first).

FWIW, i have driven my friend's WRX, stock, and you can't convince me that it's tinny box feeling cabin has a better build than a porsche. it is raw definitely. if that's what you want then bully for you

i am quite impressed how much performance you can pack into those engines for the price! why does everything have to be so expensive for porsche tuning? it also sucks that around here 80-100bucks/hour is the going rate for indy porsche shops and for other speed shops is 30-50/hr

blah,blah, blah,blah, blah,blah,...
Where is the comprehension here? Nobody ever made an argument elevating the aesthetics of the Evo over the 911 unless I missed a post.

Old 02-29-2004, 02:09 PM
karlooz is infamous around these parts
oh so i guess, all you were speaking of is purely performance and aesthetic DO NOT count where others were speaking for the whole car. i was talking about the car a WHOLE, aesthetics AND performance.

Last edited by karlooz; 02-29-2004 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-29-2004, 02:42 PM
alamein is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by colateralgees
depends on how you define "competition" I guess...

EVO/WRX = pizza

Porsche = lobster

they both taste good though

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Subaru WRX VS. 996