996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Subaru WRX VS. 996

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 06:28 PM
joecmess is infamous around these parts
Now we are speaking in Latin?

I like the STI better than the Evo. You should have bought the STI.

Old 02-29-2004, 06:34 PM
Banned
needspeedd is infamous around these parts
i have no problem with your opinion, it really depends on what you want

Old 02-29-2004, 07:21 PM
karlooz is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by colateralgees
you know, I tried to keep it on the level....just read my posts and tell me I didn't.....but some of you guys are just as bad as anything I've seen anywhere on car boards

it's arseholes like YOU that give Porsche owners (like me) a bad name.....out of curiosity, how many gold chains do you show through your unbuttoned shirts?.....on average I mean....

and by the way, I also own an Evo, as I stated....and once and for all, for me anyway, the Evo is simply more FUN to drive than any stock 911 I've ever been in, with the exception of the 993 TT

I'd love to have both, tho', in spite of some of the detritus that passes itself off as "enthusiasts" on either side of the ownership question.

there...I feel all better now, don't you?
seriously, on the level i would like to know, to you, why it's more fun. you should get yourself into a gt3. it's raw and racy and probably perfect, except for the price doh .

with my 996, i love to hang the tail out and how rewarding it is when you get it just right around the corners. how does the EVO fair in comparison. which pcar do you own?

Old 02-29-2004, 08:43 PM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
QuickSilver

If you bought a porsche for performance only you bought the wrong car -

You can not compare the class and elegence and racing heritage of a Porsche to a subaru even if could run a 10 sed 1/4 mile

You bought a porsche for how great it looked handled and hopefully the experience -

If you really care that a subura might be as fast sell the Porsche ASAP

Old 02-29-2004, 08:52 PM
GO 6SPEED!
DEETZ is infamous around these parts

Just look at Buddy G!!
Porsche is his baby!
WRX is his winter beater LOL

you know what it means

also there is a thai restaurant here with WRX for their delivery car LOL

Last edited by DEETZ; 02-29-2004 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:55 PM
stiles_s is infamous around these parts
I recently bought a WRX Wagon as a winter/ski car to complement my '03 C2 coupe. It's nowhere near as refined as the C2, nor does the build feel compare. However, I'm sure it'll be more reliable, and cheaper to maintain.

I had a bit of an epiphany this afternoon. I finally put some good rubber on the car, and went for a flog down my favorite local twisty. The car is incredibly well sorted, and gives me the same type of rush that I get from my C2, just in a different flavor.

If you can ignore the rice boys, they are joined w/the P-cars by similar performance-focused intent.

One really fun aspect of these cars, as others have mentioned, is that I should be able to make it nearly as quick (at least in the same neighborhood) as my 996 for about 2k.

Old 02-29-2004, 09:02 PM
Banned
Originally posted by stiles_s
I recently bought a WRX Wagon as a winter/ski car to complement my '03 C2 coupe. It's nowhere near as refined as the C2, nor does the build feel compare. However, I'm sure it'll be more reliable, and cheaper to maintain.

o yeah ur real smart first of all its a wagon, second of all its a wrx. not even an sti, sorry but the sti is faster than u stock

Old 02-29-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by needspeedd
o yeah ur real smart first of all its a wagon, second of all its a wrx. not even an sti, sorry but the sti is faster than u stock
ok, it looks like we have troll/flamer looking for some flame bait. NOT WORTH IT.

Old 02-29-2004, 09:20 PM
Banned
well yeah this forum is ****ing gay and half of you guys are *******, so go have fun being gay you ****ing hairdressers

Old 02-29-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by needspeedd
well yeah this forum is ****ing gay and half of you guys are *******, so go have fun being gay you ****ing hairdressers
BWAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Old 02-29-2004, 09:47 PM
ZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud of
isn't it past your bedtime little boy?

Old 02-29-2004, 10:02 PM
Prosailortim is infamous around these parts
People never cease to amaze me. I owned a 930 turbo for 5 years prior to purchasing an Evo VIII. Like many of you have stated, it "Was a life long dream to own a Porsche". I agree, I loved my Porsche in every way.... one has to be open to new ideals/concepts and not go thru life with blinders on and having tunnel vision.

I sold my 930 to a collector, and I was going to buy a used 996TT. I had the Porsche picked out that I was going to purchase (with deposit). A Kiwi that I race (sailboats) with said that I should ckeckout the new Evolution that was introduced to the U.S. market.

I test drove one, and the dealer I was at wouldn't let me drive it hard.... I was skeptical.

Then I found Huntington Beach Mitsubishi, the owner (Tom) let me have his (daily driver) for a test drive.... I was then sold. It out handled the 930/996 TT.

I can afford a Porsche new & used, I choose to spend my $$$$ in different fassion than building my ego. I don't need a Porsche as a "***** Enlarger" I've been there & done that. Evo's aren't "Ricers" as some may think.... they are for the enthusiast.

FYI for the people that don't know, "Ricers" are cars that people take from stock (ie... Civic's) and try to make them something they are not. Big exhausts, body kits, stupid wings, graphics, crappy stereos.... etc.

The Evolution is far from being a "Ricer" gentlemen (It has a legend as well).... Yes, Porsche's are beautiful cars and they have quite a legend (I love them and always will) but times are changing. The Asian markets are catching up with the Euorpean automobiles.

My point is, I've owned both.... No doubt the Porsche is a great every day comfortable, and very prestigious sports car. I'm not your every day run of the mill 44 year old male either. I don't sit behind a desk, and I'm not a narrow mined "Pompous ***". I enjoy true "By your seat performance" I race sailboats professionally 3 months out of the year. I'll drop some names of the people I race for Larry Ellison, Roy Disney, and you know what.... they think my "Clown Car/Pinto" is a kick in the ***.

I feel the same way that I did when I owned my 930 turbo.... everytime I look into my garage I say "Damn Life is Good".

Old 02-29-2004, 10:11 PM
Banned by Moderators
SANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura about
I hear you man it's a fun car to drive... I get it we are about to buy a Cooper S for this very reason... But this was not a thread about is your car cool or not. It was why Quicksilver should not feel like he through his money away. These are two different cars all togeather. Anyway you should head over to Crystal Cove on Sat mornings 7-9 I would love to take a ride in your baby.

Old 02-29-2004, 10:36 PM
Prosailortim is infamous around these parts
Sandoval,

My buddy told me about that car meet. He told last time he was there (Approximately 3 weeks ago) they had a few Evo's onsite. I can't be there until the end of next month. I 'm in the midst of remodling my house & from the 12th thru the 22nd I'll be in Puerto Vallarta racing "Mexorc Race Week"

PM me and tell me your name so I can find you..... Thanks

Old 03-01-2004, 02:54 AM
Satori is infamous around these parts
Okay, I've tried very hard to just let this slide but I simply can't anymore. There are some people who insist on acting like children on both sides of the fence here.

I'm an Evo driver and I love my Evo to death. I absolutely HATE rice boyz. I've driven exactly one Porsche in my life, a 928S – can't remember the year, only that it was modified.

Here is the bottom line -- without touching on the performance of these cars because we all know what the score is there; the Evo is filled with cheap plastic, cloth, harsh ride, squeaks and rattles and a very ****ty radio. A Porsche is filled with leather and everything is tight fit with a ride that feels like you are literally driving on smooth glass. Quality pervades on every front even down the the feel of the volume ****. The Porsche is just as purpose oriented as the Evo, but it's a totally different purpose! I can't believe an Evo driver would compare his car to a P-car. The Evo is a very unrefined car, and that's one of the things I love about it. There is something about the rawness of it that really turns me on.

Now with that said, try taking your Evo to the dealership to get a squeak or rattle taken care of. It won't happen. Imagine that the clutch on your new Porsche went out after only 10k miles and the dealership refused to cover it under warranty. Won't happen.

I'm sorry, I don't know how to exactly articulate my point here as there is such a broad difference between the two that it's just beyond my ability to quantify how stupid it is to even debate it. I think the admin, Darren, is the only person in this thread that even came close to it.

For the Porsche owners getting all hot about the Evo guys, you are the ones that are trying to compensate for something. For the Evo fans comparing your cars performance to that of a Porches, you may as well try to say your minivan is better than a Rolls-Royce because it has more interior room. You guys all have some growing up to do yet. It just goes to show that ignorance doesn't discriminate based on the size of your wallet.

It is not my intent to attack anybody here, I only want to help a few people see that this is just kind of dumb to even be debating.

As for daddy buying you a performance car of any type; dumb and dumber. It saddens me to know that I'll be seeing yet another destroyed high performance vehicle being hauled to the bone yard on a flat bed in the near future. What a waste.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Subaru WRX VS. 996