996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Subaru WRX VS. 996

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 05:48 AM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
Satori - I am offended by your need

to inject some intelligence into this debate. If I can't be stupid on the internet, where can I be stupid?

Seriously, I think your comments are on the mark.

Old 03-01-2004, 07:22 AM
Pioneer Member
Scott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond repute
Well, I'm disappointed in my Porsche brethren for not bringing this up, but I'm sorry EVO and WRX fans, there is one reason to buy Porsche and it's not the straight line. Go get any comparison and even the base C2 beats the STi and the EVO around any track.

http://www.track-challenge.com/main_e.asp

Use this site for your first reference and then go google the others.

The EVO and the STi DO NOT compete with 911's.

Most WRX and EVO drivers seem to think that 1/4 mile rules the world. If that's the case, buy a Vette, because most slightly modded vettes will hand all of us our *** in the 1/4 mile (including my Twin Turbo).

Come on Porsche folks, it's more than just style, it IS in fact performance, and they don't have it. That's why you paid more money for your cars. It is for me anyway.

I've tracked my C2 and my Turbo with many EVO's and a couple of STi's and none of held their own.

Old 03-01-2004, 08:08 AM
Prosailortim is infamous around these parts
Satori,

I agree 100% with you, the Porsche is a refined luxury sports car to which the Evo cannot compare with. The Evo is filled with cheap plastic, cloth, harsh ride, squeaks and rattles (mine doesn't rattle or squeak) and a very ****ty radio. That's not what I'm debating, or what brought me to your forum.

What I read on the Evolution forum brought me here to your forum. One of your members made a statement that an Evo could never pull on a C4, which is a false statement. Also, putting the Evo in the same category as a "Hopped up Pinto" or a "Circus Clown Car" also offended me. The Evo is a very worthy road car, run against one at the track and see for yourself.

As far a warranty issues go I have not had one problem with my car after 6,000 miles. The people that have the problems are young kids trashing the car. AWD systems aren't meant for drag racing/launching from a dead start. Of course something is going to break, and in the case of the Evo it's the clutch. Much less expensive that the drive train. I saw an Evo at a dealership that had 650 miles on the odometer with a fried clutch. It was owned buy a young kid. Now if you were Mitsubishi or Porsche, would you warranty that item because of excessive abuse?

Out of the box the Evo is a very capable road machine, with $7,000 to $10,000 in mods the Evo becomes a whole different animal/beast. Yes it's a raw car, that's what I love about it.... it's basic and simple. It's a very rigid car, have you ever personally seen the spec's on one of these? Take a look at one when it's up on a rack, it's very impressive for a relative inexpensive car.

I also agree that Evo is given a bad name from immature kids who purchase and trash these cars. I decided to purchase an Evo over the Porsche for many different reasons. One being cost and expense of modifying. Second being, I'm remodeling my house and third being the cost of invetro fertilization. Yes, someday I'll have another Porsche. In the mean time, the Evo is satisfactory substitute for my "Need for Speed".

In ending, the Evo doesn't ask for a place at the table with other high performance imports, it takes it.

Sadnoval, I'll see you in a few weeks at Crystal Cove. I'd like a ride in your Porsche.

Old 03-01-2004, 04:36 PM
Banned
eride996 is infamous around these parts
you don't buy a Rolex because it tells time better than a Timex....silly rabit tricks are for kids...

Old 03-01-2004, 04:52 PM
BiggerTwin is infamous around these parts
Caught a C4S in my Audi S4 today

Know what? We had a great ride together moving through slower traffic on the Long Island Expressway. Sometimes he let me get in front, sometimes I let him take the lead. We both got off at the same exit and he had the Cinnamon Brown interior I wanted to see so we pulled over and he let me sit in his car. He wasn't defensive that my less expensive S4 could keep up nor was my desire to buy a 911 diminished in the least by our relatively similar performance on public streets. We were just two enthusiasts enjoying our cars and little camaraderie.

Not only was he a good driver (safe and fast), he was a gentleman and genuinely nice guy for stopping to talk to me. If you are on this board, thanks again. Cinnamon Brown has now become my interior color of choice. Now I only have to decide on wood or carbon fiber trim. Life is tough

Alan

Old 03-01-2004, 08:12 PM
Banned
sticky is infamous around these parts
evo's, sti's, and the like can be classified under cheap speed. They are easily modded, wondeful. I don't care, in a porsche you pay for exclusivity and a racing heritage. What kind of prestige does owning a mitsubishi or subaru carry? They are fast, cheap, little cars, that are great bang for the buck. Other than the price for performance, there is absolutely NOTHING going for it.

Old 03-01-2004, 08:58 PM
stiles_s is infamous around these parts
Sticky, you could turn your statement around and it would appear that we bought our Porsche's primarily for the exclusivity and racing heritage (Cayenne? :P) -- the "prestige".

Some of us don't care what other's think about the cars we drive, we just want to drive cars that are great to drive. These cars come in all shapes and sizes. I for one would rather drive our WRX than our Audi S4 (a car with better build and higher "prestige"), and the "fun factor" of the WRX isn't too far from my 996, especially when the weather turns sour.

There seems to be a continuum from driving enthusiast to poseur. I haven't met a driving enthusiast who didn't appreciate the new crop of rally inspired cars from Japan. I've met a lot of poseurs who have no idea what possessed me to buy a *subaru* (gasp).

Old 03-01-2004, 10:30 PM
Noel is infamous around these partsNoel is infamous around these parts
Sticky, you sound like a ignorant retard. There is plenty of racing heritage behind Mitsu and Subaru. Here are the Impreza highlights:
2003: Petter Solberg 2003 WRC Champion
2001: Departing Subaru star Richard Burns takes the drivers' title, scoring one win in New Zealand
2000: Third in constructors' title, scoring three wins
1999: Impreza scores four wins
1998: Colin McRae scores three wins
1997: Scores a win on its debut in Monte Carlo on its way to the constructors' title

They are fast and little for a reason and it is unfortunate that you will never understand the Evo or Sti. The idea that a car comes without a radio is probably a very foreign concept to you. To say the two cars have no racing heritage is utter stupidity. Both the cars are modeled straight after two race cars. I'm not trying to say that there is more racing heritage between the two of them than Porsche, but you cannot deny that there is some racing heritage behind the two cars. Tune in to Speed Channel on March 14th at 9:30pm Eastern time and you'll see some racing heritage.

Last edited by Noel; 03-01-2004 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:46 PM
Banned
sticky is infamous around these parts
Come on now, porsche's racing heritage is more than just a decade. Listing a win from 1997 hardly qualifies as heritage.

I understand the evo and sti perferctly, cheap little cars with good performance. Don't even kid yourself into thinking the econo sports cars they sell have anything in common with the WRC rally cars. The gear boxes on those cars cost more than 4 evo's put together.

Old 03-01-2004, 11:05 PM
I listed only what the Impreza has done since its debut in 97'. I'm talking about Subaru and Mitsu as companies having racing heritage not just the Sti or Evo. And in no way am I trying to say that either Mitsu or Subaru have more racing heritage than Porsche, because they don't. And I know that those rally cars cost a fortune and that a 30k street car will not be even remotely close to the race car. But the same concept/idea is used for those two production cars. Keep in mind that the 911 Carrera is far from a race car.

Old 03-02-2004, 08:01 AM
EVO8 WHOA is infamous around these parts
[QUOTE]Originally posted by colateralgees
[B]Came over here from a link at an Evo site.

I currently own an Evo VIII, a 928 S4 and an SHO. I've owned or ridden lots of street bikes. I've driven quite a few enthusiast's cars over the years, everything from American muscle in my high school days ('69 - '71...the heyday of muscle) to various performance cars including M3's, M5's, a couple 911's, big Mercs, Corvettes, etc etc. Let me say that I have the very highest regard for Porsche automobiles. I love exploring my black S4 and marvel at the quality. It's an amazingly well-built car in so many ways, and yes, it is beautiful to look at, in my opinion at least.

To me, it is now all about the "fun factor." Image, in any form, just doesn't provide any grin any more. It's the seat-of-the-pants results that matter most to me now. And the hands-down winner thus far in my life is the Evo VIII. For me, now, it is the top of the heap. I've recorded 1.03g lateral acceleration in the thing, on the road, and it's basically stock. My wife and I drove it up and back to Indy last September for the USGP, and we took 2-lane roads almost exclusively. Over 3,300 miles in 5 days. It was glorious

Can it pull a 996? I really don't care....I'm having too much fun regardless.

We all just need to understand the common bonds that bring us to places like this in the first place. Life is too short to give yourself heartburn over someone else's perceptions.

What Porsche do you have? well that doesnt matter, the fact of the matter is my Bro had a 911 Turbo with the K29 turbo big *** intercooler, stronger waiste gate spring, guess what, Toasted him with my Little clown car evo haha, all i have done is fuel managment, exhaust, boost control, so you tell me bout my subs and intake huh? oh ya and my car gos into Quantum racing in a few days and is getting an engine that even the Carrera GT cant keep up with so let me know when you get a car worth racing cool? oh and even the EVO and my motor combined, it still wont come close to the price tag of any 911 but will still smoke them. You tell me you wont waste yur time with these cars, it so happens my friend just got a Murcielago, A NISSAN Skyline ordered from japan and an EVO VIII. I dont know you just got me goin when you stereo typed bout all Japanese cars being ricers...

But if you live in ohio, hit me up in May and i will race you, i lose my evo either today or tomorrow for 2 months due to a new engine, driveline, suspension, just to make it a good highway monster.

Thanks
Dean

Last edited by EVO8 WHOA; 03-02-2004 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by sticky
That is the entire point, I would never go so far as to compare a C2 to a GT3 cup car. You can compare a GT3 RS though, and it won't be too far off a comparison to the real thing.

Keep in mind I am not putting down the STI and EVO here by saying they are cheap speed. They are GREAT performing cars that are a great value. That is what the cars excel at. Comparing them to a 911 doesn't make sense.

right.

Old 03-02-2004, 09:34 AM
Banned
eride996 is infamous around these parts
damn you guys are still talking ****. who cares, i say brunettes are better in bed, my friend says that blondes are. whats the difference we like what we like. can't we just all get along....

Old 03-02-2004, 11:02 AM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
" oh ya and my car gos into Quantum racing in a few days and is getting an engine that even the Carrera GT cant keep up with so let me know when you get a car worth racing cool?"

Doesn't anyone think before they write this stuff

Old 03-02-2004, 11:03 AM
Banned by Moderators
SANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura about
I think he was talking about a C2... I can't defend the ignorant

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Subaru WRX VS. 996