996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Subaru WRX VS. 996

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 04:27 PM
gt2buyer is a jewel in the roughgt2buyer is a jewel in the roughgt2buyer is a jewel in the rough
it sounds like the lambo tread..
some guys were saying the same think to allen, that the 996 where cheaper and easyer to mod then the lambo. and lambo
had to racing heritage... so what is it....

so the evo and sti are cheaper to mod and would be the best bang for the buck... but that the same stuff i heard about the 996tt againts the lambo...

make up your minds...if you guys bought 996 because they are cheaper then a lambo, or any other high dollar supercar...y give these guys a hard time for buying a evo or sti b/c for the $$ it can't be beat..

I am new i didnot come over from anywhere i was looking to get some info....some of you really need to grow up...

Old 03-02-2004, 05:02 PM
pieball is infamous around these parts
Now you guys see what ya did?!

Old 03-03-2004, 08:49 PM
Location: West Texas, where the roads are straight and long, and the law is few and far between.
colateralgees is infamous around these parts
EXCELLENCE April 2004

In the article "The Top Ten Driver's Porsches," Feature Editor David Colman says, page 68:

"Unfortunately, the company (Porsche) has abandoned the value segment of the market to build cars affordable only to the rich. Since most of them can't drive, a proliferation of luxury items has supplanted performance options. Instead of gearsets, we get leather options. Instead of hard-core race goods, we get soft-core adorn. That's why you'll find the older, simpler, and sharper cars dominating my list. Give me a knife-edged 914-6 GT any day."

Actually, I like Jerry Seinfeld's take on the 993 Carrera RS 3.8 (1996) better, but Colman makes a point along the lines of what some of us Evo folks have been saying.

More fun. Less money. Period.

I still love my 928 too tho'....

Old 03-03-2004, 09:37 PM
bsircy is infamous around these parts
It's truly unfortunate that people on both sides of this debate have to stoop to such lows and childish name calling. These arguments are ridiculous. To compare every aspect of a 911 to an evo is just flat out stupid. I am a 20 something evo owner myself, but I didn't buy my car so that I could beat a Porsche in a race and then rub it in the face of the entire Porsche community. They are completely different cars for different people. I personally bought my car because I enjoy taking a beautiful saturday morning to carve up a nice canyon run. The evo was the car for me simply because it gave the performance/$ ratio that suits me. Would I rather have a Porsche? You bet your ***!!! I have drooled over porsches my entire life. Everytime I see one on the road I get whiplash looking at them as they go by. However, it saddens me to read the low class comments made by owners of such a classy car(likewise the comments of my fellow evo owners sadden me as well). Some of the comments here are very arrogant making it sound like simply owning a Porsche makes you a better person. Remember people.....a car does not define a person. People just need to appreciate cars for what they are. The evo is a great value for people who are interested strictly in performance. Regardless of your opinion on the aesthetics of the car I don't think that point can be denied.

Old 03-04-2004, 09:16 AM
STiDayDreamin' is infamous around these parts
I saw this link on an Evo forum I read on occasion. As a 29 y.o. professional who earns mid to high six figures I could've easily afforded a Porsche or BMW...or even a Ferrari for that matter. Don't get me wrong, all of these cars are beautiful, and performers to the extreme, and as an enthusiast I find them all extremely alluring. Why did I opt for a 31k Japanese econobox? The elitist attitude and holier than thou grand standing that run so rampant here are not at all indicative of the type of person I am, nor the image I care to reflect. But some of the members on this forum manage to do so amazingly well. Congratulations.

Old 03-04-2004, 10:30 AM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
Dear "rich" 29 year old

Do you not see the irony of your "holier than thou" statement?

Old 03-04-2004, 10:47 AM
STiDayDreamin' is infamous around these parts
Never claimed to be "rich". I do well, and have worked extremely hard to get to where I am. I included that snippet simply to assuage those members who felt that only the "less fortunate" would purchase one of these vehicles (STi/Evo). I find the attitude of SOME of the members here downright ludicrous, and was trying to speak up on behalf of an obvious minority on this board.....those who judge their wealth by the quality of their lives and not the "impress thy neighbor" factor. I apologize if my sweeping generalizations inadvertently offended one of the few open minded members here.....although I won't hold my breath awaiting any reciprocity in that regard.

Old 03-04-2004, 02:05 PM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
Collateralgees - your point is well taken

Yes, quite often less money can be more fun, but your "proof statement", (the quote from Excellence's Top ten drivers Porsches) does not support your comment.

The overall concensus of the reviewers has 5 of the Porsches on sale right now as the top ten drivers' cars. They are the 996 C4S, 996tt, 996 GT3, Boxster/S, and the antithesis of "less money more fun" the Carrera GT which is #1 on all the reviewers lists.

So for all the leather and non-performance goodies that you get (pay for) on a current day p-car, the modern generation of Porsches are great fun and among the best of the best (according to those who ought to know).

You also failed to mention that the car that David Colman loves most dearly is the "VW-Porsche 914" Sorry, been there and owned one. Sure rather have my C4S.

BTW, Porsche has not "abandoned the value segment" - it has never been there.

Old 03-04-2004, 04:26 PM
PeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud of
Interesting how most of the post on this thread is done by people w/ less then 10 posts.

seems like the evo board has moved their discussion on this board.

I love my Porsche. But there is no need to put down other cars by calling it "rice" just because SOME owners of that car puts ugly *** wings and body kits on their cars. Evo's and Sti's are wonderful cars w/ a racing heritage of their own and I personally would love to have a Sti as a second car. They're more affordable( I would hate to see my self snobby enough to call a 30 thousand dollar car CHEAP as I see some friends have to save to buy a 15 thousand dollar civic) then Porsches, yes. But they're fast , fun, easy to mod, and w/ great handling chariteristic of their own.
We love our Porsches and they love their Evo's. Who cares which is a better car, we love our car for different reasons.
I am not saying that I will be trading my Porsche in for one of those any time soon. But if I was a proud owner of a Evo or Sti. I'd love it just as much as I love my Porsche because they have a uniqness of their own.
Let's stop arguing about this and go out and enjoy our cars.
Peter

Old 03-04-2004, 07:53 PM
Satori is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by PeterC4C
But there is no need to put down other cars by calling it "rice" just because SOME owners of that car puts ugly *** wings ...
No, that ugly *** wing actually comes stock on the Evo.

Seriously though, I like the way you think. It’s my opinion that a few hot headed individuals started getting defensive about their cars and began hurling somewhat generic broad sweeping insults at what car the other drives which only causes more defensiveness among other, usually more level headed persons. It seems now that calmer heads are prevailing as the flames die down.

It’s easy to get caught up in. I read one post out of context and became rather defensive. I had to sort of step back and read the rest of the thread before I was able to put things in perspective. It’s human nature. We love the things we have and we are proud of our toys. It’s not easy to keep your cool while someone is telling you that the object you admire so much isn’t worth a certain measure of respect.

Old 03-04-2004, 08:07 PM
Satori is infamous around these parts
... just to make it a good highway monster.

Thanks
Dean
If you wanted a great highway monster you should have gone with the Supra TT. There are few things on the road at any price point that can score points against a well moded Supra on the highway.

Old 03-05-2004, 10:45 AM
PeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud of
Originally posted by Satori
No, that ugly *** wing actually comes stock on the Evo.

No, Actually, I like THAT wing. I was'nt talking about evo's specificly, I've seen some ugly *** wings that makes the car look like a shopping cart. And I've seen some very very nice wings like this one made by someone I went to high schoo with.

Peter

Last edited by PeterC4C; 03-05-2004 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:49 AM
996turbo is infamous around these parts
I have a '04 WRX STI also and must admit it's one of the funnest toys I have ever owned. STI is to the WRX what the GT2 is to the turbo. I spent less than 2K on engine mods and can run 12.7 1/4's all day long and tare up the canyons with the all wheel drive. The WRX has a lot in common with Porsche...flat engine turbo, it's own version of variocam, DCCD, and a super sweet tranny. It does not have the quality of a German car but it's an engineers dream. Nor does it have the Pimp factor of the P-car but it still puts a grin on my face every time I drive it. Let's just say it has inner beauty...

Last edited by 996turbo; 03-05-2004 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:11 AM
Noel is infamous around these partsNoel is infamous around these parts
996Turbo I just PM'd you.

Old 03-05-2004, 11:32 PM
Porschephile is infamous around these parts
The whole problem is some people aren't true automotive enthusiasts. There are also lots of Porsche owners, as well as other car owners of other manufacturers, that aren't enthusiasts. I, myself, am a Porsche enthusiast 1st. I love them to death and have since I was only about 4y/o. However, I am also an automotive enthusiast and can appreciate any car. I like the evo, have ridden in a few, and test drove one. It is definitely a great performance bargain. It does have a good racing history, and they can be modded fairly cheap for some serious power (SCC got ~360rwhp w/ int/exh and cams!). Personally, they don't look the best to me (evo looks better than the STI IMO) but, calling it a "clown car" is kind of disrespectful/insulting.

You guys need to stop referring to all Japanese cars as "ricers". That's insulting and grouping all Japanese cars with those that have been modified cosmetically with little to no thought of actual performance (IE - CRX w/ subs and 6" muffler tip). I'll tell you this much, there are some Japanese sports cars that should be taken seriously and respected. True, many of them don't have anything near the racing history of the 911 but, some of them do have a racing history (skylines have been racing since the early 70's). There are many different models that have proven very reliable, with very robust drivetrains capable of making huge levels of power. Don't let the fact that these sports cars are Japanese blind you to their potentials or capabilities. You might be surprised. Case and point, I'm building a Datsun 240z. It is powered by an rb26dett, which is the Nissan Skyline GTR engine. It's a DOHC 24v twin turbo 2.6l i6. My car is stripped and looking at being 2200-2400lbs with the new drivetrain in it. In stock form with free flowing intake/exhaust and large intercooler, the engine will put out ~350-400rwhp (dyno proven on tons of rb26's). ~350rwhp in a ~2k lb car w/ 8k redline stock for under ~$10k is a hell of a performance bargain. Yes, it's not a new car and I have to build it myself, but come on, I know some of you guys have to respect that kind of performance regardless of what country it's from. In stock form, the rb26 is capable of making and withstanding 500-600rwhp with minimal mods (fuel system, small tt upgrade, bolt-ons, more boost )

I have to say, one thing that is definitely going to cause an argument is people comparing a car like the evo or sti to something like a 911. Come on, they are completely different cars and not built for the same purpose. I'm not saying they are inferior, or anything like that, but the 911 has been around a long time, and has been refined through professional racing for ~40yrs. The evo/wrx have their own racing histories, and have been very successful but, that racing history doesn't equal that of the 911. The 911 has been to Lemans, sebring, daytona, monte carlo, paris-dakar.......... It has a long, successful history and has more than earned it's respect as one of, if not the best sports car in the world.

Right now, I'm sticking with Japanese sports cars because I can build a fast, satisfying car for fairly cheap until I can afford a new Gt2, Gt3, 930, 965, 951S, etc. Does that diminish my burning desire to finally own a driveable Porsche (my last 914 was anything but!)? No. Once I acheive ownership of one if not all of those Porsches, will I just give up or overlook other sports cars? No. I appreciate ALL sports cars. Even if I bought a new Gt2 tomorrow, I would still buy a mk4 tt Supra, tt 300zx, import an R32/33/34 Skyline, etc as well. I don't know about anyone else but, to me, there is something extremely satisfying about buying a $15k 300zxtt [example], spending $10-15k in suspension/brake/power mods and having built an extremely powerful car that still performs well in handling/braking for a fairly cheap total price.

Now, anyone want to donate a Gt2 to my "cause".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Subaru WRX VS. 996