996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Subaru WRX VS. 996

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 10:31 PM
QuickSilver is infamous around these parts
Subaru WRX VS. 996

One of my friends just bought a Subaru WRX. He is teasing me that with less than $10k mods on his car, I can only eat the dust behind. I have to admit WRX is a nice car in many ways(performance, H.P., suspension, handling...)

Well, I am wondering now.......
Why did we spend $70 - $90k on our p-cars?

Please, please tell me something I can convince him and myself that the money we spent is worthy.

Old 02-25-2004, 10:48 PM
Banned by Moderators
SANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura about
Why because these are more then cars. Growing up I only dreamed that some day I would have a PORSH. I had the cheesy poster hanging in my room sat in my dad's 912, 911's... And now I get to share in this great fellowship that Ferd. Porsche created for us.

Take that WRX that will be a POS in 10 years and your Porsche will belong to an entry level enthusiest 's new baby... It is about the art of the vehicle not the power for the buck... If that were the case I can start listing the cars that are more powerful for half the cost...

Go out in your garage and look at what you have that will give you the answer! You own a POR-SHA! Nothing more to say.

Last edited by SANDOVAL; 02-25-2004 at 10:50 PM.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:03 PM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
I've said this before, it's not always about HP, 0-60 times or cost. It's about style...

Yea, maybe his car cost less and can go faster...but if i'm going to a fancy restaurant I'd much refer to pull up to the valet in a Porsche than a WRX and i'm sure my date would also.

Style baby!

It's not just a car, it's a lifestyle.

Last edited by Itzkirb; 02-25-2004 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:38 PM
Cool996 is a jewel in the roughCool996 is a jewel in the roughCool996 is a jewel in the roughCool996 is a jewel in the rough
WRX and mitsubishi evo are fast, but they are both ugly compared to a 911.

Old 02-26-2004, 12:32 AM
NERVOUS is infamous around these parts
Who cares which car is faster... At the the end of the day, you drive a Porsche - That is why you paid what you did for it!

Take it from me... I drive a non-Porsche car that is faster than 95% of the Porsches on the road. In fact, just last week I repeatedly pulled multiple car lengths on a late model C4S from a 60 MPH roll. However, when we slowed down to line up again and exchange thumbs-up you want to know what I was thinking as I looked over at him and his Porsche? Yep... "Damn, I sure wish I had that car!"

Also, the next time your friend backs you into a corner with the 'bang-for-the-buck' argument just ask him if he wants to trade cars - Your 'slower' Porsche for his 'potentially faster' Subaru - I bet he would start singing a much different tune then!

Old 02-26-2004, 01:01 AM
keoni1978 is infamous around these parts
well said!! which car would you rather be seen in?!?! a WRX is like a woman with a body of a god but face from hell! and a Porsche....well shes just FINE

Old 02-26-2004, 01:08 AM
QuickSilver is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by NERVOUS
Who cares which car is faster... At the the end of the day, you drive a Porsche - That is why you paid what you did for it!

Take it from me... I drive a non-Porsche car that is faster than 95% of the Porsches on the road. In fact, just last week I repeatedly pulled multiple car lengths on a late model C4S from a 60 MPH roll. However, when we slowed down to line up again and exchange thumbs-up you want to know what I was thinking as I looked over at him and his Porsche? Yep... "Damn, I sure wish I had that car!"
Yeah, Supra !
I had a '96 Supra Twin Turbo, white/black, 6-speed. I really miss it.
It is indeed another superb car on the road !

Old 02-26-2004, 02:42 AM
BiggerTwin is infamous around these parts
I owned a WRX

I had an M3 and WRX last year. While I had the money and desire to trade the M3 in on a Carrera, I thought it was more important to upgrade my winter beater so I got rid of the WRX and replaced it with a new S4. I am now back shopping for my Porsche.

The WRX has great driving dynamics but its build quality and luxury are well below German car standards. My wife put the heel of her shoe through the Subaru's carpet the first week I had the car. While it is nice to have bragging rights, most of our driving isn't at 9/10ths and ride quality, interior appointments, style, feel, and intangibles are generally more important than the power and handling that are available but not being used.

Your friend has a nice car. Yours is nicer.

Alan

Old 02-26-2004, 04:55 AM
ZX7R is infamous around these parts
Wanna accelerate fast - get a bike - nothing can touch you then....

Sometimes I get together with some people who have muscle cars and ricers etc... and talk cars - They always state they wish they had my Porsche even though some of their cars are faster...

They always offer a trade - my 996 for their bucket...but no thanks...

Old 02-26-2004, 05:11 AM
firewired is infamous around these parts
I just sold my E46 M3. I had chosen that over the 996 911 mostly for the "bang for the buck" argument. A fully loaded M3 cab came in less than the entry ticket for the C2, as well as the BMW comprehensive service warranty can now be extended from 50K to 100K so you pay for no service, oil changes etc...,

Well after driving the M3 for a very short time I went back and spent a day in a 911. There just was no comparison! Needless to say I took delivery of my car 4 days ago. I was fortunately able to find a buyer who would pay surprisingly close to what I paid for the M3. I was able to find a 2003 for close to the same price as the M3.

I find the 911 a whole different experience. Not to sound corny, but it seems much more like a fine instrument solely designed for one purpose, driving. I don't care that the M3 is 0.2 sec faster 0 - 60. The 911's specs are close on paper with acceleration, braking, etc..., but I guess there are a lot of things that can be ironed out when evolving a car for 40 years.

The things I like about the 911 are: the gear box, the clutch, the brakes, that sweet sounding engine, the seats, the way every instrument is designed around the driver, and simply looking at the car standing still. The M3 failed to close the deal for me, and I imagine that every other car though close on paper, be it: WRX. G35, Z car, may have a hard time giving the complete experience.

Old 02-26-2004, 05:45 AM
pieball is infamous around these parts
The WRX is a tripple bagger! Enough said.

Old 02-26-2004, 05:52 AM
Fire Eater
MLA911 is infamous around these parts
Well, I am wondering now.......
Why did we spend $70 - $90k on our p-cars?

Because WE can....and he can't!!

Old 02-26-2004, 06:03 AM
Greyghost is infamous around these parts
You know, these guys are right... it's a style thing. If you think the WRX is the only one of these cheap beaters that can take out a Porsche, just wait, more are on the way. You could always go get a supercharger on your 996 or go to Turbo but what is the point.

I have to tell myself all the time that "I have a beautiful car with classic lines that I have adored since childhood... man I am so lucky!" Just go out and look at your Porsche shining in the garage, is there a better feeling in the world?... except sex with a beautiful woman?

Old 02-26-2004, 07:51 AM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
"You could always go get a supercharger on your 996 or go to Turbo but what is the point. "

yeah, i (SC'd 996) ran against a modded WRX and the thing pretty much hung right with me! he was surprised though cause he also had a 996 and says his wrx crushes it.

Old 02-26-2004, 09:59 AM
jol
jol is infamous around these parts
Silly question. Park them side by side, there's the answer to your question. If it still bothers you go out and buy a WRX as a second car, they are cheap enough.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Subaru WRX VS. 996