996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Tubi vs. AP (sorry to beat a dead horse)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 09:41 PM
stsanford is infamous around these parts
Tubi vs. AP (sorry to beat a dead horse)

Hi,
I'm now ready to do some serious modding on my 2000 C4 Cab. Needs a new top, 30,000 maintenance and a new bumper from a slight parking accident, so I figured I would do the wheels and exhaust thing while I was at it.

I was looking at AP, although I thought it was a little too "farty" sounding. The $695 price was a huge draw, but I don't see that price anymore, so I figured I'd revisit the Tubi exhaust. Damn that sounds fine. Very exotic and yet racing Porsche sounding.

How does the AP exhaust stand up to the Tubi. Would love to hear comments about each. I'm planning on making the order this week.

Thanks!

Old 01-15-2007, 10:51 PM
Banned
skibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud of
I have the AP headers and the quality is great. Never heard their mufflers in person but the clip sounds good.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:09 PM
icemann633 is infamous around these parts
I've never heard the AP but i love my Tubi

Old 01-16-2007, 12:16 AM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
I've heard AP on Rogers car, I think it sounds great and really good for the money. Tubi is hard to compare, it has a very distinct sound almost like an italian exotic, plus it's probably 4 times the price of the AP quality is really top notch.. on the other hand if your doing more mods on your car like flash, filters, suspension, and didnt want to spend too much, i would compare the AP to a little more reasonable brands like Evoms exhaust, Fabspeed, GHL etc.. I'm pretty sure Tubi will set you back big time

Old 01-16-2007, 12:22 AM
Jurichar is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by stsanford
Hi,
I was looking at AP, although I thought it was a little too "farty" sounding.
LOL....some stuff just never dies

Old 01-16-2007, 07:42 AM
Thanks, sorry about using "farty" again, I remember someone else used it and I figured I'd pigguback on that sentiment, but I didn't mean to be offensive. From the AP video, the sound just sounded maybe a little too much "look at me" whereas the Tubi did sound more Italian Exotic.

I know that the Tubi is more expensive, but didn't someone here mention that Brandywine has it for $1750. That's not too bad especially since I have failed to find the AP exhaust for the $695 it was months ago...

I'm just doing the following on the car this month:
New top (window de-laminated)
Exhaust
30K tune-up and repair for a CEL P0130
Fix the coolant reservior issue

Next month will be (hopefully, depending on how bad this month goes over budget!)
Wheels and Tires (18")
Aerokit II nose and side skirts
necessary re-painting.

I am starting to really lean towards Tubi I think. The only reason I was thinking AP was savings...

Thanks for all your input!

Old 01-16-2007, 08:41 AM
i300zxtt is infamous around these parts
The tubi has no documented power increase, while the AP does. Also, think about the weight of both, does anyone know this?

If you don't care about hp increase or weight, you might as well get a PSE or a Gemballa exhaust with the in car switching ability.

Old 01-16-2007, 01:49 PM
How accurate is the video of the AP exhaust? Is it really that "burbully"

I thought the Tubi did have HP gains...

Old 01-18-2007, 12:49 AM
Banned
DimNSlow has a spectacular aura aboutDimNSlow has a spectacular aura aboutDimNSlow has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by alex911s
I've heard AP on Rogers car, I think it sounds great and really good for the money. Tubi is hard to compare, it has a very distinct sound almost like an italian exotic, plus it's probably 4 times the price of the AP
What?!?! Alex, where did the 996TT go?!?

The AP exhaust will be quieter than the Tubi. I would say the Tubi sounds fantastic, the AP is a bit on the lower end in terms of sound, but definitely no where as loud as the Fabspeed, just a low note around 1-3K.

The "farty" sound comes from the fact that the exhaust is low, but quieter than others. Though the fit for the AP is not exact, while the Tubi fits like a surgical instrument, then again, the Tubi is 3 times the cost.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:54 AM
Banned
DimNSlow has a spectacular aura aboutDimNSlow has a spectacular aura aboutDimNSlow has a spectacular aura about
In terms of HP gain, you're not really going to feel any real gains unless you also do intake and ECU.

The AP and Tubi are lighter than stock, I think about 15 lbs savings.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:33 PM
SilverBlue is infamous around these parts
Roger,

Maybe it's time for us to do sound clips side by side. Do you have some recording gear?

Yup, call Jonathan Miller at Brandywine. He's the one who sold the Tubis to me.

John

Old 01-18-2007, 08:38 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by SilverBlue
Roger,

Maybe it's time for us to do sound clips side by side. Do you have some recording gear?

Yup, call Jonathan Miller at Brandywine. He's the one who sold the Tubis to me.

John
I don't... maybe we can drop by Sharky's some weekend together (when Alex is workin') and have him take some vids. I don't know how well my Casio digital camera will work replicating the sound of the cars

How have you been? I've been so busy at work I haven't said hi in ages! I'm always lookin' for your car when I take 3rd st from FC to 101N.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:41 AM
SilverBlue is infamous around these parts
Scott,

The Tubi exhaust is almost the priciest muffler system out there. I think the Ruf is the only one that tops it. I don't regret one bit of the extra dough spent on it. Put it this way, with our cabs, the exhaust sound is a huge part of the joy. Since the Tubis went in, I don't bother to turn on the radio but a fraction of the time anymore. I love the symphony coming from behind. It's an unleashed wild animal.

In terms of performance, none of the mufflers will give you a noticeable increase by itself. It goes as a team with a software upgrade and intake change. And you will notice the difference after that.

Roger, we've gotta have lunch or visit Sharky. My cab is done. I'll give you the details in person.

John

Old 01-19-2007, 02:41 AM
Chasen1211 is a jewel in the roughChasen1211 is a jewel in the roughChasen1211 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by DimNSlow
What?!?! Alex, where did the 996TT go?!?
He had to change his underwear, so the turbo had to go, just like the cayman... j/k

Old 01-19-2007, 12:03 PM
i300zxtt is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SilverBlue
Scott,

The Tubi exhaust is almost the priciest muffler system out there. I think the Ruf is the only one that tops it.
Nope,

JIC Ti Exhaust is ~4000.00, Jubiliy is aprox ~2200....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tubi vs. AP (sorry to beat a dead horse)