996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.
View Poll Results: Which upgrades to do.
Yes! Do an air intake system.
21.95%
No! Don't waste the time.
9.76%
Get the FabSpeed High-Flow Mufflers.
21.95%
Get the FabSpeed Bypass pipes. Go Loud!
9.76%
Get the PSE exhaust.
65.85%
Leave the exhaust alone.
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

996 Performance Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 10:19 AM
Greyghost is infamous around these parts
996 Performance Upgrades?

I am considering the following so let me know what you guys think.

UPGRADE ONE: FabSpeed Air Intake.
Is it benefitial? I have heard that the only benefits are the sound... more throaty, and better throttle response. If there are other manufacture's products that are better, let me know. Any comments?

UPGRADE TWO: Mufflers.
Fabspeed makes a nice high flow muffler and bypass system. The muffler I have been told can be bit resonant at some RPMs and can get annoying. The pipes are killer but loud as hell.

I am also considering the Porsche Sport Exhaust (PSE). Any thoughts?

Last edited by Greyghost; 02-29-2004 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:25 AM
msindi is infamous around these parts
depends how loud you wanna go...the cold air intake definitely helps breathing whwether you do Fabspeed or PSE mufflers...

Old 02-29-2004, 12:17 PM
NYSEGuy is infamous around these parts
I'll let you know wednesday what I think of the exhaust. I'm getting the Fabspeed maxflo exhaust put on the car, and supposedly the combo of that and the intake give you 20 horses.

Ed

Old 02-29-2004, 12:24 PM
Poursha is infamous around these parts
This is my second Carrera with PSE and the sound is absolutely wonderful. The best option I've had on any car!

Not what I would call a performance upgrade, since Porsche doesn't make any power improvement claims, but it sure does sound faster, and gets your heart beating faster!

Old 02-29-2004, 12:32 PM
earlyapex is infamous around these parts
First of all, I would be not set out to get more hp out of your engine with simple intake and/or exhaust changes. There is very little to be gained. You can, however, change the sound of your engine and that is a very personal choice. Most folks are very happy with the PSE and FabSpeed exhausts. I personally don't like the sound of loud intakes so I wouldn't change OEM one. Are there members in your area that can let you here there setups?

Old 02-29-2004, 01:39 PM
arthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nice
I installed the PSE about a month ago now and absolutely love it! When it was initially installed it wasn't as loud as it is now. The other night I went over to a mates place, and upon leaving he said "I just want to sit here and wait till I can hear the exhaust sound no more". Well lets just say he could hear the exhaust a good 800 metres up the road. It was night time, less traffic, but he also lives in a hilly area. The exhaust note is wonderful

Old 02-29-2004, 01:46 PM
karlooz is infamous around these parts
i got the GHL mufflers and they are a pretty good performer. the butt dyno measured about a 30hp increase just kidding. i did notice that i had better throttle reponse and it felt peppier. i am, however going to install a PSE as soon as it arrives (thx nova996). the GHL sound good, actually alot better than the stock pre'02 exhaust but wasn't loud/sporty enough for me. having heard the PSE, that is what i want. i may attempt the full install for the geek factor.

i got the fabspeed cold air kit w/BMC filter. was it worth the retail price? no. was it worth the $200 used form a board member? yes. there is no way it is worth close to 400 for hose and faux carbon bits. THEY ARE NOT CARBON FIBRE. for fabspeed's base kit, sans BMC filter, it would be worth $100, tops. if one had the time, or inclination, one could replicate the system for less than 100.

having said that, the kit did enhance throttle repsonse and in my coupe, barely made it louder.

Last edited by karlooz; 02-29-2004 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-29-2004, 02:39 PM
RDH
RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !
Wheres the choice for the Super Charger ?

Old 02-29-2004, 02:55 PM
longhorn911 is infamous around these parts
My car came with PSE and the EVO cold air intake. The PSE is awesome! I have nothing to compare the cold air intake to, but those familiar with the stock intake like the sound of the EVO. It's a very controversial topic as to whether the EVO adds any perfomance increases or not...

Old 02-29-2004, 03:06 PM
msindi is infamous around these parts
I think the Fabspeed intake is only $225 without the filter...you can get a K&N for cheap from pelican parts or another catalogue...
Also, try EVO or Stephen at Imagine Auto (I got my Fabspeed exhaust from him as well as my GIAC and other stuff - grat to deal with!!) as they might be able to discount the cold air intake kit...

Old 02-29-2004, 05:04 PM
karlooz is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by msindi
I think the Fabspeed intake is only $225 without the filter...you can get a K&N for cheap from pelican parts or another catalogue...
Also, try EVO or Stephen at Imagine Auto (I got my Fabspeed exhaust from him as well as my GIAC and other stuff - grat to deal with!!) as they might be able to discount the cold air intake kit...
my apologies, from fabspeed's site, 225 + 120 for the BMC, total 345. i called joe fabiani to ask him if there are discounts for 6speeders and he would only comp the shipping . on a kit that doesn't cost much to make, i would imagine a larger discount from a board sponsor but any discount is certainly not expected.

Old 02-29-2004, 08:13 PM
mb996 is infamous around these parts
The PSE is the perfect companion to the X74...this should be the standard C2 configuration.

Old 02-29-2004, 10:17 PM
Fanman is infamous around these parts
I have the Fabspeed intake, with exhaust & headers done as well. There was no discernable difference in power (but the exhaust sounded great) until I did the ECU. Definitely mod the ECU if you want power from these mods.

Old 03-01-2004, 04:37 AM
Greyghost is infamous around these parts
WHo has a good deal on the PSE?

Old 03-01-2004, 05:04 AM
arthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nice
Britt,

I got mine from Brandywine. I found their service to be quite good and prompt. I paid $1550.00 + $30 for switch. Give Justin Lane a call 610-886-1000. I know a few others have used Brandywine for PSE too.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 Performance Upgrades?