996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Sidemarker - basic question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 06:49 PM
firewired is infamous around these parts
Sidemarker - basic question

This may seem like an extremely basic question: Do the side markers blink with the turn signal?

I have only had my 911 for a couple of weeks and one of the first mods I put on to match the seal grey paint were the clear side markers. Tonight I was checking the lights and was surprised that there did not seem to be any blinkers on the side of the car like there were on my previous BMWs, and any other european car I can think of (Mercedes, Audi, VW, ect...) Mind you my car was in the garage with the key turned one click, but all the side markers did were light when the headlights, and parking lights were on.

Old 03-01-2004, 06:56 PM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
They only Blink in Europe...Here in the US they stay on with the parking lights. There is a mod you can do to make it blink...
http://wa4ekg.home.att.net/996mods/sidemarkermod.html

Old 03-01-2004, 07:02 PM
firewired is infamous around these parts
Itzkirb,

Man you have all the answers. Side blinking lights seems like a strange thing to not bring to the U.S. market.

Old 03-01-2004, 07:21 PM
GO 6SPEED!
DEETZ is infamous around these parts
do they have it for the Cayenne too?

Old 03-01-2004, 07:26 PM
AlG_not_Algae is infamous around these parts
If I need good quality high-res pics or DIY mods, I'm callin Kirb

Kirb, you make house calls ala Kevin? I want the garage switch mod and the sidemarker mod done

Seriously though, have you done the sidemarker mod yourself?

Old 03-01-2004, 07:38 PM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
haha, I'm no where near the level of Kevin yet

No, I haven't actually done the Blinking side marker yet. I've been wanting to, but I always forget. The cold weather here in the Bay Area makes me Lazy...

Hey is anyone near Santa Monica? I'll be there tomorrow night.

Old 03-01-2004, 10:04 PM
AlG_not_Algae is infamous around these parts
I know Arling is pretty close to Santa Monica. Don't know how available everyone is in the middle of the week especially with all this rain. You had to bring your weather with you huh? hehe

Old 03-02-2004, 02:42 AM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
to funny guys.. I just did this MOD last night while I was sleeping.... lol.. Kirby you should come to Fresno and will try it!! Robyn is coming Easter weekend...

Old 03-02-2004, 08:52 AM
GO 6SPEED!
DEETZ is infamous around these parts
Kevin: can you do this mod to a Cayenne?

thanks

Old 03-02-2004, 02:13 PM
Loren is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by AlG_not_Algae
If I need good quality high-res pics or DIY mods, I'm callin Kirb

Kirb, you make house calls ala Kevin? I want the garage switch mod and the sidemarker mod done

Seriously though, have you done the sidemarker mod yourself?
I've done the sidemarker mod. The instructions are very detailed. Takes less than an hour.

Old 03-02-2004, 03:06 PM
Loren is the "ONE" with all the Porsche Knowledge...

Old 03-02-2004, 03:54 PM
msindi is infamous around these parts
I personally prefer the sidemarkers as they are: NON-BLINKING

Old 03-03-2004, 02:22 PM
nova996 is infamous around these parts
I've been thinking about this mod, too. Are the sidemarker lights bright enough to be good turn signals when wired like that?

Old 03-03-2004, 02:26 PM
MKW
MKW is infamous around these parts
I did this on my prev 996. Be aware that with this mod , they blink in sync with the other turn signals when the headlights are OFF, but alternate when the headlights are ON.

Old 03-03-2004, 02:29 PM
nova996 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by MKW
I did this on my prev 996. Be aware that with this mod , they blink in sync with the other turn signals when the headlights are OFF, but alternate when the headlights are ON.
Right, I noticed that. I guess what I meant to ask is if the headlights are off, are the sidemarkers bright enough to be turn signals in the daylight. What is the voltage drop accross the main turn signals up front?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sidemarker - basic question