996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Look what I did on Sunday....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 05:10 PM
John Romano is infamous around these parts
Look what I did on Sunday....

I installed these AWESOME Sandoval calipers, and SS lines this Sunday. I started at about 11AM and torqued the last lug bolt at about 11PM. I would have finished about 8 hours sooner had it not been for the little fitting at the end of the hard line that connects to the rubber brake line I was replacing, on the right rear caliper. I dicked around with that thing trying every invention I could think of to get a strong enough grip to break the line free. I eventually ended up walking to Sears and buying the biggest channel locks they had. It was the only way I could finally get enough of a grip on that mangled little fitting for it to let go. It snugged back up just fine, no leaks, it just looks like it was chewed on.

In the end it was worth it. The SS lines give the pedal a nice firm feel. And Eric did a very high end job powder coating and rebuilding the calipers. I even sprayed the rotor hats black.

Old 02-13-2007, 05:18 PM
996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough
The calipers came out nice. Thats what color I want to put on my Silver Cab Yellow . Looks sweet man.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:06 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
That's a nice job man. I bet it felt weird walking to Sears to get a tool. I can hear it now:
John to Salesman: I need channel locks to fix the brake lines on my Porsche.
Salesman to John: Yeah right, and I need some vice grips to fix the radiator on my Ferrari.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:03 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
NICE....looks good....

Old 02-13-2007, 08:17 PM
zdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud of
+1.

I am in the middle of doing mine......VHT hot paint in yellow and VHT hot clear......doing the S/S brake line too........will post when done and show off my "new" 18 wheels......thx Alex.

later

Old 02-14-2007, 09:29 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
great job, Is there any special size tools needed, torque/allen wrench. what was the damage? PM me if you dont want to disclose price, thanks.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Thanks guys...

No special tools needed except for those monster channel locks I mentioned. I would not recommend this project as DIY without them, and a good, well-mounted vise. I've run into the same problem on other cars I've modded. Those little fittings at the end of the hard lines can be a nightmare. Other than that, installing the calipers (with new pads while I was in there) and the lines was very easy. I don't remember the size of the allen socket I used - it was the biggest one in my set - a few combo wrenches, a pair of needle nose pliers, a brake pad spreader (great tool to have around) and my Corona brake bleeder. Indeed my brake bleeding system requires two people to use (my seven year-old son did just fine), but it is practically free (and you have to empty the bottle first). I use about two feet of clear tubing; attach one end to the bleeder fitting and stick the other end in the beer bottle so that it is below the level of the two inches of brake fluid it contains. My son pumps the brakes while I open and close the fitting until all the air bubbles disappear. Make sure you refill the reservoir after each caliper.

Also, if you are changing lines and calipers, accept the fact that the brake fluid is going to run out and don't try to stop it. Let it drizzle into a plastic container. Brake fluid can peel your paint off, no point in fighting with it.

Total cost involved:

Brake calipers from Eric Sandoval. He did an amazing job and he does it the right way. He takes the calipers apart, has them powder coated and then rebuilds them with new seals and boots. You are basically getting a set of brand new calipers, beautifully powder coated for $500 plus exchange. He might be asking more after my set though.

Brake pads - $160.00

SS lines - $120.00

Brake fluid - $32.00

In addition, I spray painted the rotor hats black. So, add another 10 bucks for paint and masking tape. So, all together I spent $822.00.

Another $100 a wheel to paint them, and $30.00 for the black lug nut caps.

The whole mod: calipers, lines and wheels - $1,252.00

I just got a screaming deal on a Turbo front bumper. I’m having it painted now and will install it this weekend if I have time. Then I’ll post some pics.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:42 PM
Banned
ss360 is infamous around these parts
looks really good!

Old 02-14-2007, 11:54 PM
porschenut911 is infamous around these parts
Very nice, I like it!

Old 02-15-2007, 12:29 AM
ericdee has a spectacular aura aboutericdee has a spectacular aura aboutericdee has a spectacular aura about
Nice!!! Now you just need a cap. Details...

Old 02-15-2007, 04:15 PM
jnx
jnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to behold
Great job man. It looks perfect with your wheels.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:49 PM
Thanks!! I just dropped the car off at the bodyshop to have the turbo bumper installed while I'm out of town for the weekend. Should have it back on Tues and I'll take some pics. Yellow looks really cool behind those black wheels. I'm very happy with this mod.

Ericdee, what caps?

Old 02-16-2007, 10:54 PM
99carrera is infamous around these parts
That looks awesome.. you just gave me a new idea for a new project...How much did you spend on the powder coat?

Old 02-17-2007, 12:23 AM
Originally Posted by 99carrera
That looks awesome.. you just gave me a new idea for a new project...How much did you spend on the powder coat?
500. I listed the total cost above.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:48 PM
RTRWASH is infamous around these parts
Very unique... I like the yellow/black/silver!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.