996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Wheel dilema... what to get?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 03:36 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Brucem
a TON of race teams use Fikse wheels... very very long track record to back that up! very durable and everything Fikse does is done IN HOUSE.. alot of other companies use other vendors to have thier wheels made. They can control thier quality to thier standards! Pricing of the wheels is about $1000 or so per wheel. They are made to order, so depending on the offset desired or wheel lip wanted they can do it how you want it! I don't know if they are best bang for the buck, but I know you don't hear about people complaining that the wheels bent, or leaking air, or clear coat coming off. They do not do Chrome wheels, but polished

So in terms of one of the lightest strongest wheels... not many compare.. check out alot of the ALMS teams, the prototypes (75% of them) were running Fikse

Hope that helps
That can be said for 3 out the the 4 choices....If I am correct OZ is what they use in Formula 1, and BBS has a LONG racing heritage....Both OZ and BBS will be less than a grand a wheel...so bang for the buck may be one of those....

Old 02-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Brucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to all
Originally Posted by newport996
That can be said for 3 out the the 4 choices....If I am correct OZ is what they use in Formula 1, and BBS has a LONG racing heritage....Both OZ and BBS will be less than a grand a wheel...so bang for the buck may be one of those....
yes true, but the OZ wheels you buy are not the ones they race with.. same thing for "alot" of the BBS wheels.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:51 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Brucem
yes true, but the OZ wheels you buy are not the ones they race with.. same thing for "alot" of the BBS wheels.
Yes and I dont ever recall seeing the same wheels on the ALMS Audi R8 or R10 on a A4, or the wheels on the RS Spyder on a 996....Most "race" wheels are not the same wheels you buy for street cars. So again the same can be said for the Fikse's....I am not brand hating, but they all are great wheels....he can't go wrong with any of them.

Old 02-19-2007, 04:04 PM
Brucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to all
no no... he can't.. but the same fiskes that are on my car... is the same wheel you see on the track cars.. difference is just that alot of them are center lock.. otherwise the whole wheel is the same..

all i all you can't lose... choose what you like best for a look you want

Old 02-19-2007, 04:31 PM
arenared is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by newport996
I would go 19" Champions....very light, great looking wheel...but to be honest, you cant go wrong with those on your list...i would also look into Kinesis...
I'll second the vote on Champions. My 18" RG5s are 8" and 10" and weigh 18lbs and 19lbs. They are 1-piece forged in Japan. Plenty of tire choices in 25" diameter in 18s. They are lighter than the others and the quality is first rate. That's not to say the others are bad one bit at all. The BBS RS-GT and Fikse Profil 10 are also some of my favorites from a looks point of view. If you have a lot of potholes/crappy roads where you drive, I would seriously consider 18". If not, then whatever floats your boat.

Old 02-19-2007, 04:37 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
All those brand wheels mentioned here are great... I dont think you can really go wrong with any of them. At this level you have to go with what looks good on your car and be happy!!

Old 02-19-2007, 05:09 PM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
A lot of great wheels mentioned!

www.cargraphic.de is my favorite...(now the Turbo's on Techart Daytonas though...)

I would go 18". They handle better and look good too...especially if you are after the sport car look (and not the "luxury sport car" look.)

For example here's our family's ex-Carrera with 18" Cargraphic Racing wheels:

(More pics in the signature link)