996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

How much are you paying for the 30K service?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 01:11 PM
Banned
Eric523 is infamous around these parts
At our shop, 30K includes...

Diagnosis system: Read out fault memory.
Replace engine oil, seal ring and filter.
Replace polyrib belt.
Particle filter, replace filter element.
Air Filter: replace filter element.
Fuel system: visual inspection for damage, routing and secure fit of the line connections.
Vehicle underside and engine compartment, visual inspection for leaks (oils & fluids) and chafing damage (lines & hoses)
Power assisted steering, check fluid level.
Coolant hoses: check condition, Radiators: visual inspection for external contamination, Coolant: check the level and antifreeze protection.
Parking brake: check free play of the parking brake lever.
Brake system: visual inspection of the brake pads and discs for wear.
Brakes hoses & lines: Visual inspection for damage, routing and corrosion. Check brake fluid level.
Clutch: check the play and pedal end position.
Throttle actuation: check smooth operation, check full throttle position.
Steering gear: visual inspection of the bellows for damage.
Tie Rod ends: check play and dust bellows.
Axle joints: check play, visual inspection of the dust bellows for damage, check the screw connections of the running gear adjustment facility, front & rear for secure fit.
Drive shafts: Visual inspection of the boots for leaks and damage.
Tires & spare wheel: check the condition and tire pressure.
Exhaust system: visual inspection for leaks and damage
Suspension: visual check for damage and wear.
Check the door, lid locks and safety hooks of the front lid for secure seating and function.
Seat belts: check function and condition.
Vehicle lighting: check function and adjustment. Check signal horn.
Windshield washer system, headlight washer: check fluid level and nozzle settings.
All other electrical equipment and warning and indicator lights,: check function.
Oils & Fluids - Visual inspection of levels.
Road Test: Foot and parking brakes (also actuation travel), engine, clutch, transmission, automatic speed control, steering, heating, a/c system and instruments: check function.
Consultation

Price runs $213 for parts,$241 for labor. Total of $455 +tax

Old 02-24-2007, 11:56 PM
PeterK is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Eric523
At our shop, 30K includes...

Diagnosis system: Read out fault memory.
Replace engine oil, seal ring and filter.
Replace polyrib belt.
Particle filter, replace filter element.
Air Filter: replace filter element.
Fuel system: visual inspection for damage, routing and secure fit of the line connections.
Vehicle underside and engine compartment, visual inspection for leaks (oils & fluids) and chafing damage (lines & hoses)
Power assisted steering, check fluid level.
Coolant hoses: check condition, Radiators: visual inspection for external contamination, Coolant: check the level and antifreeze protection.
Parking brake: check free play of the parking brake lever.
Brake system: visual inspection of the brake pads and discs for wear.
Brakes hoses & lines: Visual inspection for damage, routing and corrosion. Check brake fluid level.
Clutch: check the play and pedal end position.
Throttle actuation: check smooth operation, check full throttle position.
Steering gear: visual inspection of the bellows for damage.
Tie Rod ends: check play and dust bellows.
Axle joints: check play, visual inspection of the dust bellows for damage, check the screw connections of the running gear adjustment facility, front & rear for secure fit.
Drive shafts: Visual inspection of the boots for leaks and damage.
Tires & spare wheel: check the condition and tire pressure.
Exhaust system: visual inspection for leaks and damage
Suspension: visual check for damage and wear.
Check the door, lid locks and safety hooks of the front lid for secure seating and function.
Seat belts: check function and condition.
Vehicle lighting: check function and adjustment. Check signal horn.
Windshield washer system, headlight washer: check fluid level and nozzle settings.
All other electrical equipment and warning and indicator lights,: check function.
Oils & Fluids - Visual inspection of levels.
Road Test: Foot and parking brakes (also actuation travel), engine, clutch, transmission, automatic speed control, steering, heating, a/c system and instruments: check function.
Consultation

Price runs $213 for parts,$241 for labor. Total of $455 +tax
Well, let me ask you this question then. You don't seem to be replacing the spark plug. According to the owners manual these shouldn't be replaced. However, my dealer is insisting on changing them. What gives?

Old 02-25-2007, 02:44 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by PeterK
Well, let me ask you this question then. You don't seem to be replacing the spark plug. According to the owners manual these shouldn't be replaced. However, my dealer is insisting on changing them. What gives?
you read all that? Spark Plugs a Must!

Old 02-25-2007, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by Redridge
you read all that? Spark Plugs a Must!

Well, my service manual indicates that this is the case for the Turbo/GT3/GT2 cars. The spark plugs should be replaced at 60,000 for C2 and C4 cars. I'm confused.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:47 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Careful Eric,

They are very quick to ban people who don't sponsor these boards....

Just trying to save you the hard-ship,

-Eli

Old 02-25-2007, 02:28 PM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
I got quoted around $1,000 today from my dealer service manager in Northern VA? So, is it safe to assume that around $500 - $600 is a fair market bid to recommend/request? I have an 03 C4S, so I'm not sure as well if it is supposed to cost more for these cars vs. C2/4's. Any input/guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:58 AM
Banned
All of our services follow Porsche maintinence schedules. At 30k we will visually inspect the plugs and reccommend that they be replaced if needed.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by FastForwardwheels
Careful Eric,

They are very quick to ban people who don't sponsor these boards....

Just trying to save you the hard-ship,

-Eli
Thanks, I'm very aware of this. However, I think both the price, and the description of the 30K service were the topic of this thread.So I see no wrong in posting a description and a price for the service. No contact info was listed or a shop name, so I hope I'm not stepping on anyones toes....

Old 02-27-2007, 02:17 PM
grahamtwatson is infamous around these parts
What does "visually inspect the plugs" mean? If you are looking at the business end of the plugs, you have to have teken them out, in which case why wouldn't you put new plugs back - it's the same amount of work.

If you are visually inspecting them without removing them, can you really tell anything useful?

Cheers,
Graham

Old 02-27-2007, 02:42 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by grahamtwatson
What does "visually inspect the plugs" mean? If you are looking at the business end of the plugs, you have to have teken them out, in which case why wouldn't you put new plugs back - it's the same amount of work.

If you are visually inspecting them without removing them, can you really tell anything useful?

Cheers,
Graham
We will take out one plug and inspect it for wear, then make our recemmondation. Yes, it may be the same amount of work for us to do, but feel it is necessary.

Our feeling is, the average customer looks at his manual and reads that the plugs don't need to be changed at 30K. We don't try and sell him on plugs upfront until we have evidence that they need to be changed.

The average 6speeder is not your average Porsche owner. Most of you would change out your plugs early if you had the chance. However, we also have to account for the penny pincher's that think we are being untruthful and trying to upsell them on parts and service they don't need.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:21 PM
We will take out one plug and inspect it for wear, then make our recemmondation. Yes, it may be the same amount of work for us to do, but feel it is necessary.
Could you inform me on your experiences on the rates at which you felt like the car needed new plugs at 30K?

I'm not a total cheap-***, but I kind of think that even cheapest spark-plugs should last more than 30K. Porsche is using Beru plugs and these should be high-quality stuff.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:32 PM
AsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the rough

Our feeling is, the average customer looks at his manual and reads that the plugs don't need to be changed at 30K. We don't try and sell him on plugs upfront until we have evidence that they need to be changed.

The average 6speeder is not your average Porsche owner. Most of you would change out your plugs early if you had the chance. However, we also have to account for the penny pincher's that think we are being untruthful and trying to upsell them on parts and service they don't need.
I see Eric's point...as the whole ripping off a customer and "upselling" is a sticky subject for the dealers and mechanics. People dont want to get ripped off...so everyone has to be careful. I had a very similar situation...when I had my BMW.

So I had a E39 540iA...these car have a very well known problem. The cooling system. The radiator, water pump, expansion tank etc one or all of these will go out around 50k. This is a problem that BMW readily knows about...and under a CPO they fix it. Sooo...my car was around 54K and the radiator finally broke and leaked. I brought it to the dealership..and $50 bucks later for my deductible I was off and running. THREE MONTHS later..the car overheats again...steam everywhere...I get the car towed...and what do you think it was? EXPANSION TANK! I was sooo mad. I had a long talk with my service advisor..I said, you replaced my whole new radiator and you didnt do the expansion tank? I was pretty pissed thinking what a half *** job that was...until he explained it to me...he CANNOT tell me to fix anything that is NOT broken..because it can be construed as upselling. So he as service advisor looked at the car and fixed exactly what was wrong. Even though history says he should of changed out the expansion tank and even the water pump but...at the very least the expansion tank.

So I learned the lesson. When doing service..you have to ASK..and get a look for yourself.

Sooo..let say you take your car in for 30K and the manual says change the plugs and they get pulled and they are PERFECT condition? Do you still want them to charge you for new ones? Even though they are perfect and show no signs of problems? We here are 6speed are enthusiast...and yeah if given the choice we would probably change it out. But to a regular joe...they may not appreciate the advice or "upsell" he gets...

Old 02-27-2007, 09:25 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by AsianImage

Sooo..let say you take your car in for 30K and the manual says change the plugs and they get pulled and they are PERFECT condition? Do you still want them to charge you for new ones? Even though they are perfect and show no signs of problems? We here are 6speed are enthusiast...and yeah if given the choice we would probably change it out. But to a regular joe...they may not appreciate the advice or "upsell" he gets...
Trust me, if you're doing the work yourself then you're going to want to pay the 60-120 on plugs so you won't need to pull them out again.

-Eli

Old 02-28-2007, 12:12 PM
Banned
Could you inform me on your experiences on the rates at which you felt like the car needed new plugs at 30K?

I'm not a total cheap-***, but I kind of think that even cheapest spark-plugs should last more than 30K. Porsche is using Beru plugs and these should be high-quality stuff.
We change them out about 95% of the time. When the customers are given the option they usually go for it. The plugs last for 30K just fine, but 60K is the next interval that most people would change them. They may begin to affect pefrormance before 60K comes around.

I would change them at 30K in my car.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Tippy is infamous around these parts
$150 myself

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How much are you paying for the 30K service?