996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

How much are you paying for the 30K service?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 06:43 PM
AsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Tippy
$150 myself
Hey Tippy...it may be more cost effective for a few us to pitch in and FLY YOU OUT to LA...bring your tools...and we will take care of your hotel and food!

just service the cars for us!

Old 03-03-2007, 04:24 PM
Tippy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by AsianImage
Hey Tippy...it may be more cost effective for a few us to pitch in and FLY YOU OUT to LA...bring your tools...and we will take care of your hotel and food!

just service the cars for us!
Sounds good.....when?....never been to LA.

Old 03-03-2007, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by PeterK
From what I've been told it is not much more than spark plugs/oil change + visual inspection
That is about it!

Old 03-03-2007, 06:35 PM
AsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the rough
Sounds good.....when?....never been to LA.
hmm..lets see how many cars we can get. How many can you do in a day?

Old 03-04-2007, 08:03 AM
Originally Posted by AsianImage
hmm..lets see how many cars we can get. How many can you do in a day?
6-8 maybe

Old 03-04-2007, 04:51 PM
6-8 maybe
Ok...so...let me just get the facts here...IF...and a big IF...IF...we were able to get 6-8 Porsches all needing the 30K service...we could fly you in for a weekend..and you would work on all the cars?

We would need...
Someone to host, someone with a fairly large garage....or large work area
The parts, all filters, etc...

lets say 6 cars average about $800 for the service at a dealer...comes out to around $4800. hmmm...I wonder.....

Old 03-05-2007, 06:08 PM
viper501 is infamous around these parts
Do it yourself. There is nothing terribly challenging to it. I just changed the plugs, oil, air filter, cleaned the throttle body and idle air control valve (non E-gas car), and changed the fuel filter. Even with the cost of the oil, I was just slightly over 150 bucks in parts and probably four and a half hours of my time.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:31 PM
PeterK is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by viper501
Do it yourself. There is nothing terribly challenging to it. I just changed the plugs, oil, air filter, cleaned the throttle body and idle air control valve (non E-gas car), and changed the fuel filter. Even with the cost of the oil, I was just slightly over 150 bucks in parts and probably four and a half hours of my time.
You would need a lift for this, don't you

Old 03-05-2007, 10:56 PM
viper501 is infamous around these parts
Lift makes (made) it more convenient but you could easily do it on jackstands or even a good set of ramps, depending on your stomach diameter. Skinny guy like me slides under the car just fine. Done many an oil change, brake swap, suspension swap, etc with only a good jack and a set of jack stands.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:17 AM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
I've done everything on the list in my drive way, using only the best stands on the market (6,000+ cap). The only difference is that it will take you more time since you have to move around on you creeper instead of walking around. Price of the cabin filter is around $50 alone, cost of the Oil is around $60-70 give or take, plus the filter $20-30ish, plugs $10'ish x 6= $60'ish. Air filter, lets add an other $20 in there.

I'm thinking that you're looking at at least $200 +tx. in parts alone....... Tippy did you change only the plugs and oil? Trying to figure out how you got $150, must be Texas pricing....

I also doubt that you would be able to spring more than 4 in a days time. I think the service time is 2-3 hours, but I'd have to confirm.

-Eli

Old 03-06-2007, 11:00 AM
wasuki is infamous around these parts
I spent about $1000

Old 03-06-2007, 02:17 PM
CABRIO C4 is infamous around these parts
Hey if Tippy is willing to fly down I'm in.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:28 PM
porschenut911 is infamous around these parts
Just got back from the dealer for an oil change, next serivce (next summer) would be 30K, they charge $1300.

- Spark plugs
- Air filter
- Pollen filter
- Fuel filter
- Oil Change w/filter
- Read out the computer
- Retorque the suspension bolts
- Brake fluid flush
- General check on all the belts, leaks, etc...

seems somewhat high to me but it's Chicago

Old 04-11-2007, 12:08 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
I still don't think you'll be able to pull more than 4 cars out in a day......

It took me and one of the shop hands 1-hour (both working on it at the same time) to ONLY swap out plugs. I would say working steady "no b.s." you can pull the plug swap in about 2-hrs. without any snags.

The rest should only take you about 1-hour provided that you're not swaping the fuel filter, or flushing brake fluid. . . .

-Eli

Old 04-11-2007, 12:41 PM
tweety is infamous around these parts
I can do this all myself in the garage and have the tools but the kicker is that in order to conform to the extended warranty I need someone with the little patch on the arm to say that the work is up to par. Kind of a CYA if something goes bad in the future.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How much are you paying for the 30K service?