996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Silicon Valley Powder Coat ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 09:18 PM
simon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to behold
Silicon Valley Powder Coat ?

Hey Guys,

I know a bunch of you have various parts powder coated.
Does anyone have any recommendations for shops in the Bay Area that can clean up a piece (walnut shell blast perhaps) and then powder coat ?

Old 02-21-2007, 09:44 PM
c4bliss is infamous around these partsc4bliss is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by simon
Hey Guys,

I know a bunch of you have various parts powder coated.
Does anyone have any recommendations for shops in the Bay Area that can clean up a piece (walnut shell blast perhaps) and then powder coat ?
If you want to stay local in Bay Area, livermore area, i would use MAAS powder coating.

Used them in the past for company work.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:18 AM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Hope you're not considering PC on the wheels. . . .

Allow me to talk you out of it if you are....

-Eli

Old 02-22-2007, 01:02 AM
simon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to behold
Not yet. It's for inside door handles on a F-348.
My wheels are losing their bead seal frequently now though, so something needs to be done too them...

If you have ideas I'm open to suggestions.

Originally Posted by FastForwardwheels
Hope you're not considering PC on the wheels. . . .

Allow me to talk you out of it if you are....

-Eli

Old 02-22-2007, 01:14 AM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Not yet. It's for inside door handles on a F-348.
My wheels are losing their bead seal frequently now though, so something needs to be done too them...

If you have ideas I'm open to suggestions.

Let me give you the bads of PC wheels

1) They are heated in the process far beyond when they should be.
2) If not applied correctly they can loose balance in the process.
3) They now will chip, vs. scratching
4) There is no advantage over painting.

If you hit your PC wheel with a hammer you'll get a chip, if you hit a painted wheel in the same fashion chances are you'll only end up with a scratch.

Rest my case....

If you're loosing air, you can simply have your bead reworked and even polished.

-Eli

Old 02-22-2007, 01:33 AM
Point very well taken. Mine are chromed by wheel enhancement's outsource but my tire installer tells me there is moisture inside and the chrome is peeling on the inside ... which sucks. He's put bead sealer on several times, tried polishing and still I get leaks. At some point I'd like to get them re-done, not sure what the options would be with reference to either fixing the chrome or pulling it all off and painting, possibly black.

Old 02-22-2007, 03:03 AM
Former Vendor
Point very well taken. Mine are chromed by wheel enhancement's outsource but my tire installer tells me there is moisture inside and the chrome is peeling on the inside ... which sucks. He's put bead sealer on several times, tried polishing and still I get leaks. At some point I'd like to get them re-done, not sure what the options would be with reference to either fixing the chrome or pulling it all off and painting, possibly black.
You'll have to have the chome stipped either way. Chrome wheels have a tendancy to loose the bead sooner. Water usually is the problem when it hides between the outer rim and the tire for hours or days at a time.

I'd suggest stripping them and starting from there.

-Eli

Old 02-22-2007, 10:11 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
C4Bliss' advice is good Simon... I've used them before as well

Old 02-22-2007, 10:19 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Not that I agree with PC wheels, but there is a low temp powder coating specifically for wheels....I went with paint just for the ease.....