996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

VIN/ID sticker paranoia...normal to not get one on new car/maintenance booklet?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 12:56 AM
mozhacker is infamous around these parts
VIN/ID sticker paranoia...normal to not get one on new car/maintenance booklet?

All other paranoia questions now being answered, I've not got just one left that concerns me the most.

Bought a new '04 C4S two weeks ago - while I didn't get to see it rolled off the truck, the odometer milage was right around what I'd expect for a brand new car.

Didn't even think it was strange until I read some archived threads, but from everything I've read, with a brand new car you're supposed to have:
a) VIN ID plate on driver's side front under windshield
b) VIN ID with build month on sticker on driver's side door
c) ID sticker with all factory installed option codes stuck under front hood
d) ID sticker with VIN, engine code, etc. stuck on first page of maintenance book

For my car and the owner's package I was given, the sticker that is supposed to be under the hood is ripped off, and I have no ID sticker in my maintenance book.

Is this normal? Should I be paranoid/worried that something shady is going on here?

Old 03-08-2004, 05:24 AM
msindi is infamous around these parts
Have your local dealer or PCNA check the VIN# and give you a list of all the options that came on the car

Old 03-08-2004, 10:37 AM
Poursha is infamous around these parts
There is normally an option sticker on the bottom side of the hood and one in the maintenance manual. When I bought my Carrera in September, the sticker wasn't in the manual, and they couldn't find it when I noticed this a few days later. The sales guy said the tech who prepped the car probably threw it out (thanks!)--it comes from the factory hanging under the hood by the other sticker. I asked them to get me a replacement, but they tried and couldn't.