996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 C2 Exhaust Tip Options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 10:47 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
996 C2 Exhaust Tip Options

The tips on my '04 C2 look brownish. I'd like to get a chrome or polished looking tip, or ideally daul tips as on the C4S or 997S.

Anyone have any suggestions/ pics/ ideas?
CATTMAN

Old 02-25-2007, 12:56 PM
John Romano is infamous around these parts
As Newport says, "step into my office."

Old 02-25-2007, 10:24 PM
porschenut911 is infamous around these parts
There are many DIY articles to get those to shine again, try renntech.com

Old 02-26-2007, 12:28 PM
SilverBlue is infamous around these parts
"Quad tips": Dansk product at performanceproducts.com. They're OEM quality.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:31 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
The Dansk look nice, but I am sure there is a DIY technique to clean or polish the tips I have.

I tried renntech, and other sites, but cannot seem to find a DIY solution anywhere- can anyone help here?

Old 02-27-2007, 06:37 PM
phaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond repute
Mine became brown from exhaust residue. I simply used some polishing heads on my dremmel and polished them back to new. fairly easy.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:05 PM
PeterW is infamous around these parts
Me too, took me about 30 mins. Those tips looked brand new after the polished.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:22 PM
Can you share the details? "Polishing heads on a dremmel"- I need to buy a dremel, some polishing heads, and what kind of polish?

As much detail as possible would be awesome.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:25 AM
phaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond repute
the dremel is a wonderful tool. any dremel you buy to my knowledge comes with a starter pack that has several cutting tools and a few polishing wheels/heads. they are just soft cottoney wheels/heads. just googled and came up with this site which illustrates what i am talking about http://www.mytoolstore.com/dremel/sandband.html. any of those soft polishing heads/wheels and some polishing compound such as they have listed should do the trick. just make sure not to put too much pressure on it and just let the dremel do the work.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:11 PM
Thegman is infamous around these parts
I removed my stock tips and had them polished by a local polishing shop and they went from stainless steel to chrome(not really). It was amazing how much better they looked. Now I just put a little MAAS Metal Polish on them and they gleam (both inside and out).j

Old 03-02-2007, 09:35 AM
Awesome advice, guys, thanks.

I bought a scotch pad and some EagleOne Nano Polish (for Chrome/Mag/Alum). Rubbed the polish on the tips with the pad, then wiped clean with a microfibre towel. The brown look is gone, now it's just shiny brushed stainless.

I may have a shop take a polishing wheel to it, or have them chrome dipped- we'll see. But as of now, they look great, and it cost $4 for the polish, and about 10 minutes.

Great DIY!