996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

rotting smell in trunk?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 05:31 PM
tweety is infamous around these parts
rotting smell in trunk?

A few days back I started to smell a rotting stench in the trunk of the car and in the monring when I first started up the car.
I searched all over in the trunk for a leal or something that would hint of where the smell was coming from. This afternoon I found the problem.
The smell has been with me for almost 5 days and I thought that it was from the car and then I thought that it was from something bad in the garbage can. Turns out I had hit something on the road and didn't know it at all.
Inside the passenger side intake was a full size robin, complete with CSI-type maggots. Yummy.
There was no sign of damage to the intake or near the opening in any way so I must of hit this just at the right time as I was driving to/from work. Smack the bird just right and grill it slowly over a red hot radiator. 5 days later you have the makings of portable road kill.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:08 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
In the wierdest way possible...you may want to get a new car...I know someone that left a stick of butter in a car for a week and he ended up selling the car as it made him sick to drive in...

Old 02-26-2007, 07:00 PM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
lol! at least you found the problem!

Old 02-26-2007, 09:53 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Make the best out of a bad situation and slap some BBQ sauce on it. Hmmmm

Old 02-26-2007, 09:57 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
mmmm mmmm mmm mmmm GOOD!

Ill take a wing! (front arm thing I guess...)

Old 02-27-2007, 08:53 AM
tweety is infamous around these parts
Not to sound dumb but how the heck can a bird get hit? I have seen dozens of near miss birds but haven't seen one actually strike a car let alone get caught in one like this. It isn't like the bird jumped in to make a nest since the car is in my garage or the parking garage at work. Once the car would start you would think that it would have jumped out.
Today I am serving up grilled maggots. No way in heck was I going to reach in and pull those out.
Leaves, sticks, garbage bags...sure thing, but maggots.....um, no.

New question.
I haven't looked under the nose yet but is there an easy way to pull that part of the car loose to access the radiator and clean it? I would like to pull the smaller leaves that are stuck in there and now obviously, some feathers.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:17 AM
GTEE83 is infamous around these parts
We found a bird in our right-hand radiator air intake when we bought the car. We pulled it out and checked to make sure everything was still intact, but it definitely did not fester under there like yours did.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:29 PM
NIKAS is infamous around these parts
Gruesome! I get tree frogs occassionally...they reak when they die!

Old 02-27-2007, 04:52 PM
ZX9RCAM is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by tweety
Not to sound dumb but how the heck can a bird get hit? I have seen dozens of near miss birds but haven't seen one actually strike a car let alone get caught in one like this..
Come on Tweety, I have hit a Buzzard on 3090 while on my ZX9R, the dang thing bounced off my right arm & hit the road..

It was gone by the time I came back from the other end.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:50 PM
Yoshinoya is infamous around these parts
oh man that sucks, at least you found the problem. Anyone else find the irony, the sn is Tweety and you hit a bird ??? just thought I'd point out the obvious

Old 03-02-2007, 05:45 PM
Thegman is infamous around these parts
Here's an expensive solution. Buy a Speed Lingerie bra which has the netting over the intakes. No bugs or debris (or birds) get through and it prevents rock chips as well.

Old 03-03-2007, 01:36 AM
SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Onetime
Make the best out of a bad situation and slap some BBQ sauce on it. Hmmmm
, You Texas Boys are used to BBQ'ing that roadkill... Gave me a good laugh though!!!!

Old 03-03-2007, 05:28 PM
whatever is infamous around these parts
yikes... too bad it didn't cook through or else it would smell good instead of rotten...