996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Should I respray the front bumper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 09:31 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
$150? Is there a kid in the back with high tops and a spray can?

Forget that place. NEVER use the dealer. Find a highline shop in your area, go meet the owners and see their work first hand. That will give you confidence. They should REMOVE the bumper from the vehicle to paint, not do it on the car. And expect north of $400 for a perfect job.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:26 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Time to upgrade to a gt3 bumper!

Don't do it for $150. It's just a respray with some minimal sanding. Paint on bumper is extremely important. Good paint job will hold where as a cheap job will not when car is bumped / lightly scraped by other cars..

Old 02-28-2007, 10:30 PM
vizkiz is infamous around these parts
Peter, you could have asked me over on CFOT

I wouldn't go as far as to say to NEVER use the dealer. The guy we use does good work. We have had one person that we tried out, they did a **** job and we didn't pay them for it and had it done by the guy that we normally use. If you want perfection, see what body shop your dealer uses and see how much they can do the whole bumper for. If you wanna go on a bumper guy respray, I would wanna see an example of the guys work before getting it done, especially on a silver car, as I hear it can be quite difficult to match.

The clear bra guys we use work with 3M clear bra. They must do pretty good work, they did Wyclef Jean's Mclaren F1.

Last edited by vizkiz; 02-28-2007 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by djantlive
Time to upgrade to a gt3 bumper!
I don't think he would want to, it's an 04 Anniversary Edition.
Maybe you should try to find another 04 AE. When the guy's gonna be gone for a while, swap the bumpers

Old 02-28-2007, 10:50 PM
PeterK is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by vizkiz
Peter, you could have asked me over on CFOT

I wouldn't go as far as to say to NEVER use the dealer. The guy we use does good work. We have had one person that we tried out, they did a **** job and we didn't pay them for it and had it done by the guy that we normally use. If you want perfection, see what body shop your dealer uses and see how much they can do the whole bumper for. If you wanna go on a bumper guy respray, I would wanna see an example of the guys work before getting it done, especially on a silver car, as I hear it can be quite difficult to match.

The clear bra guys we use work with 3M clear bra. They must do pretty good work, they did Wyclef Jean's Mclaren F1.
Thanks man,

The dealer has a body shop and claims that they 99% of their load are porsches.
I'm still very concerned that the price is waaayyy too low for a good quality job.

I might actually go to my chevy dealer, they have a totally superb bodyshop, the best paint works I;ve seen were from them.

As far as clear bras, do you buy them pre-cut or cut on the spot?

Last edited by PeterK; 02-28-2007 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by PeterK
Thanks man,

The dealer has a body shop and claims that they 99% of their load are porsches.
I'm still very concerned that the price is waaayyy too low for a good quality job.

I might actually go to my chevy dealer, they have a totally superb bodyshop, the best paint works I;ve seen were from them.

As far as clear bras, do you buy them pre-cut or cut on the spot?
If it's a dealer's in-house bodyshop, the price is probably so low because they know what they're doing, have done it many [many, many] times before, and know exactly how to mix the paint for each specific color and how to paint to match the rest of the car. Others may charge more for harder to mix colors, etc.
If you're unsure, have them paint something else first.Give them the front license plate bracket you pulled off the car (or anything else you want to be GT Silver) and tell them to match it to the paint on the car. If it matches, you know they'll do good work. If not, it was worth it to know beforehand, wasn't it?

One of our salesman has the pre-cut one, and it looks great. It's just as good as the cut-to-fit ones, except when you walk up to the car, you can see the lines of the bra because they do not go all of the way to the edges of the pieces they are covering.
I would go with a cut-to-fit bra. If don'e right, it'll barely be noticeable.

Still, see what other people here say, as I'm sure there's a reason you asked them and not me over at CFOT.

Last edited by vizkiz; 02-28-2007 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:38 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Even if the dealer knows what their doing, $150 for a complete respray is WAAAYYYYY too cheap. As suggested above by ProDetail, the work done right takes time. I'd say $450 sounds about right. Make sure they're using quality paint like glasurit, spies hecker, standox, etc. I think if the car is well maintained overall, the bumoer repaint won't matter to a perspective buyer. This holds true if the repaint is done properly.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
I think if the car is well maintained overall, the bumoer repaint won't matter to a perspective buyer. This holds true if the repaint is done properly.

If you're going for resale value, get a proper repaint. If you want it to look really good, really quick, go with a sand 'n spray guy. 99% of their jobs might be Porsches, but how many of those are 'quickie' jobs just to make it look good?

Looks like I'm kinda on both sides of the fence on this. I still say to have them paint something for you first and see how it comes out.

Last edited by vizkiz; 02-28-2007 at 11:53 PM.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:57 PM
icemann633 is infamous around these parts
Honestly...

For $150 get it done. If it winds up crappy then you can get it redone...You are out 150, but being a dealer, the chances that it is a decent respray is pretty high. Also, since it is a dealer, if it IS crappy, chances are you can get some or even all of your money back...

If they only give you half back, you're only out $75....Get it done. It WILL pitt and crack again...

If you are getting ready to sell it then get a top of the line job. If not, you might as well get it looking good with minimal investment because it's all going to happen again...

Old 03-01-2007, 01:57 AM
DrPeter has a spectacular aura aboutDrPeter has a spectacular aura aboutDrPeter has a spectacular aura about
$600 in my end of town....did it. Put the clear bra on and now when I look at my bumper I dont feel sad.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:13 AM
PeterK is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by icemann633
Honestly...

For $150 get it done. If it winds up crappy then you can get it redone...You are out 150, but being a dealer, the chances that it is a decent respray is pretty high. Also, since it is a dealer, if it IS crappy, chances are you can get some or even all of your money back...

If they only give you half back, you're only out $75....Get it done. It WILL pitt and crack again...

If you are getting ready to sell it then get a top of the line job. If not, you might as well get it looking good with minimal investment because it's all going to happen again...
Well, that is a very pragmatic argument!

Old 05-12-2007, 06:08 AM
tweety is infamous around these parts
Had my nose done last week. And as mentioned, my area too is a never ending construction zone.
They pulled the nose off to do the work so there wouldn't be overspray.
All told, the work cost just short of 600 to do.

....an hour later on the way home I picked up a new stone chip!!!! F***.
The next day I went back to the shop with my head down crying about the work lost. He gave me some touch up he mixed for me and sent me off to fill in the chip over this next week. I'll go back to have them work the local area and then clear bra it.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:16 AM
CosmosC4S is a jewel in the roughCosmosC4S is a jewel in the roughCosmosC4S is a jewel in the roughCosmosC4S is a jewel in the rough
Just do it. As long as it's done right.
Everybody nowadays realize that rock chips on hoods and bumpers are inevitable. If someone knows how to check a car out, they will know how to look inside your front trunk compartment, peel the carpet back and inspect the weldings and joints for signs of damage or repair.
Many people get paranoid over a painted hood or bumper unnecessarily.

Last edited by CosmosC4S; 05-12-2007 at 11:19 AM.