996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Should I respray the front bumper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 12:10 PM
PeterK is infamous around these parts
Should I respray the front bumper

The car has 27K on it and front bumper is showing some pitting.
Local p-car dealer offered to sand it down and respray it for $150. Then I would put a clear bra on it.

Should I do it, or will it affect the resale value. The Pcar b-shop people say that nobody will be able to tell the difference between their job and OEM work.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:19 PM
potxoli is infamous around these parts
I had my boxster bumper resprayed a few years ago and you could not tell the difference from stock. If the pitting bother's you, I'd say go for it. If anything it might help resale. Also $150 is cheap!, I remember paying closer to 400 in NoVa. Sounds like a great deal.

You should think about a new style bumper maybe GT3 or turbo etc. It would be the perfect time to do it.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by potxoli
I had my boxster bumper resprayed a few years ago and you could not tell the difference from stock. If the pitting bother's you, I'd say go for it. If anything it might help resale. Also $150 is cheap!, I remember paying closer to 400 in NoVa. Sounds like a great deal.

You should think about a new style bumper maybe GT3 or turbo etc. It would be the perfect time to do it.
I'm actually afraid that it might be TOO cheap. I really need to tell them that I accept nothing short of perfection!

Old 02-28-2007, 12:55 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Respray it. If done right, it will be impossible to tell you actually did anything...

Old 02-28-2007, 01:30 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Before you respray, if you choose to do so, take pictures so you'll have evidence the car was not hit and you only painted to cover the pits.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:48 PM
jaded996 has a spectacular aura aboutjaded996 has a spectacular aura aboutjaded996 has a spectacular aura about
I wouldnt say that a respray of a front bumper would hurt resale. Usually when fenders and doors etc show signs of a respray that will make someone think that the car has been in an accident. If the job is done right there should be no evidence of a respray.

What color is your car? Some colors are harder to match than others. Also does the rest of the paint look perfect? Sometimes if you paint the front and its all shinny and bright it makes the other look dull.

Its a good idea to have the shop take pictures of the entire process, which should include the removal of the bumper, prepping, respray and reinstall. Keep all of those photos and it will prove the car has not been hit.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:46 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
I think all this worry over a repray of the bumper is a bit much....No one can tell, even a paint thickness gauge I dont think will work because the bumper is not metal...you do know that since its not the same material that the paint will NEVER be the EXACT same color....again, no big deal...if a good shop does it, they will not be able to tell.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:49 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Do it.......

Old 02-28-2007, 03:00 PM
wyo996 is infamous around these parts
Do it. The clear mask is a must because the respray will chip even worse. Will

Old 02-28-2007, 03:21 PM
ProDetail is infamous around these parts
I use to do all the paint work for the local porsche dealer before I opened my detail shop. I would say $150 is way to cheap to repair the bumper correctly. You have to find out if they are going to remove the bumper from the car or not also find out what materials they are using, to do it right what they need to do is

-remove the bumper from the car
-degrease and sand all the chips down(or they can soda blast it)
-apply a plastic adhesion promoter
-apply FLEXED primer(this will help prevent more stone chipping)
-apply base coat(color)with hardener(this helps the clear bond with the base coat)
-apply FLEXED clear coat
-install front bumper back on the car
as you can see it is alot of work and materials so for $150 I feel it is hard to do the right job(at least for a profit) we use to charge around $450. We used Spies Hecker materials and it would probably $150 just for materials. Good luck and remember you always get what you pay for.

Old 02-28-2007, 03:24 PM
great info.....yes, I was thinking more in that range to be done right....and if done right, it will look perfect....

Old 02-28-2007, 03:24 PM
porschenut911 is infamous around these parts
I'd do it for $150 or even $300. No one cares about a respayed bumper but fenders yes.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by jaded996
What color is your car? Some colors are harder to match than others. Also does the rest of the paint look perfect? Sometimes if you paint the front and its all shinny and bright it makes the other look dull.
My car is silver GT metalic. Yep, the rest of the paint looks superb, just the front bumper. A consequence of living in the never ending contruction zone.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by ProDetail
I use to do all the paint work for the local porsche dealer before I opened my detail shop. I would say $150 is way to cheap to repair the bumper correctly. You have to find out if they are going to remove the bumper from the car or not also find out what materials they are using, to do it right what they need to do is

-remove the bumper from the car
-degrease and sand all the chips down(or they can soda blast it)
-apply a plastic adhesion promoter
-apply FLEXED primer(this will help prevent more stone chipping)
-apply base coat(color)with hardener(this helps the clear bond with the base coat)
-apply FLEXED clear coat
-install front bumper back on the car
as you can see it is alot of work and materials so for $150 I feel it is hard to do the right job(at least for a profit) we use to charge around $450. We used Spies Hecker materials and it would probably $150 just for materials. Good luck and remember you always get what you pay for.
Thank you very much for very useful info. The fact that the price is so low is indeed a great concern to me. I'm gonna print out your list and take it to the dealer to make sure I'm getting the right quote.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by wyo996
Do it. The clear mask is a must because the respray will chip even worse. Will
Is there a particular company the sells kits that are better than others?
I've installed a clear bra on my vette and installation went pretty smooth. I think I paid something like $20 for that kit from ebay.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I respray the front bumper