996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Fun Little Project (Stereo)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Bill W is infamous around these parts
Another good way to protect the carpet instead of duct tape (which might leave residue) is to use tin foil and spray it with a non stick cooking spray. I would not leave the duct tape on there for an extended period as the chance of a sticky mess increases each day the tape is left on.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
yeah...brave. looking forward to the next sequence!

Old 03-02-2007, 10:03 PM
Jurichar is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Bill W
Another good way to protect the carpet instead of duct tape (which might leave residue) is to use tin foil and spray it with a non stick cooking spray. I would not leave the duct tape on there for an extended period as the chance of a sticky mess increases each day the tape is left on.
i've gone the tin foil route before but i just dread tearing it and causing a leak...which i have done. I've found that duct tape is much less likely to leak. And a little goo-gone whips up ducttape residue. Whereas fiberglass resin is pretty much a new addition to your car

I should have sprayed it with pam though...that's a good idea. It can be a little dicey to remove it.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Mother is infamous around these parts
Man more guts then I have, I am just curious if the Alt will handle the extra for the amps and where is the extra battery going just kidding .. may the force be with you.

Old 03-03-2007, 12:38 AM
Just laid down the overlayer of glass, but i ran out of resin...and then the camera battery died. So i'll post up pics tomarrow!

ordered my subs too. Went with image dynamics id-8. Turns out i couldn't spring the $2000 for focals

Old 03-03-2007, 03:34 AM
ChromeHearts is infamous around these parts
Image dynamics make good subs though

Old 03-04-2007, 12:22 AM
UpDate 3/2

i added another layer of glass last night...unfortunatly the camera was dead so i didnt get any pics of how that went. But Basically just cut 3 big pieces and bonded them to the interior of the mold.

I then pulled the molds out and did a test fit witout all the tape .

Last edited by Jurichar; 03-04-2007 at 12:27 AM.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:30 AM
Here is some pics out of the vehicle. I painted another quick layer of resin over top of everthing. Its a little easier to fill all the nooks and crannys when they're out of the car.

I like these pics...gives a good idea of why fiberglass is SOOOOOO much better than a wood enclosure!

Old 03-04-2007, 02:07 AM
1999 C4 Cab 6 Speed
my996 is infamous around these parts
Hey Jurischar, where in Michigan are you?

Old 03-04-2007, 07:29 AM
grand rapids....you??

Old 03-04-2007, 09:43 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
this is a really interesting project. i've never seen how a custom fiberglass enclosure is built. this is great seeing it from the beginning. keep up the pics.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:02 AM
trovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nice
you one brave man and i admire you for it. keep us updated. good thing you have a convertible or your car will smell bad for a long time from the fiberglass.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:08 AM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
I agree with trovan, you are a brave soul. How do you know how big to make the enclosures? Do different subs have different requirements?

Old 03-04-2007, 11:15 AM
1999 C4 Cab 6 Speed
my996 is infamous around these parts
Jurichar, I am from Bloomfield but presently living in New York City. I was going to suggest, but it might be too late seeing as how far you have progressed, that you make a mold of the area you want to have for the enclosure. For instance, in the area you have taped, you could make a cheap mold using plaster or paper Mache, that way you don't have to have the resin set up in your car and all the hassle that goes with it - i.e. working in the cold, fume problems and risk involved in using that material in the car. Maybe for next time -

BTW, good work so far and I am curious to see the final results as I have the audio innovation boxes right now and have seriously thought about placing new custom amps boxes where you are building them. I'd love to stop by over the summer and see your results. Good luck.

Also, you should take a look a Nakamichi head unit. I have a 6 CD changer built into the head unit - couldn't find the same model number right now but included a link to a related (and I think newer version. http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=14920 What I like about it is that it matches the OEM look and sounds great. All other new units, like Alpine have too many light and things going on.

Last edited by my996; 03-04-2007 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:48 PM
Thanks for all the motivation guys. My favorite part about any hobby beit cars/audio/street bikes, is looking at the different mods and transformations that people put together. I love it when people put up "projects" with lots of pics...im just trying to contribute!!

Originally Posted by trovan
you one brave man and i admire you for it. keep us updated. good thing you have a convertible or your car will smell bad for a long time from the fiberglass.
I'm working on the smell thing...most of the glass boxes i have built in the past were ported, so they smelled for quite some time. But im hoping that with these being sealed, most of the smell will be trapped. I may put a coat of paint or something on the backside to help control the odor of the exposed glass....not sure yet. If anyone has any ideas let me know for sure!

Originally Posted by onetime
I agree with trovan, you are a brave soul. How do you know how big to make the enclosures? Do different subs have different requirements?
All subwoofers have specifications known as "theile small parameters" these are calculations that allow you to build a box of the correct volume. Most companies recommened box sizes posted up all over. Now the big problem is deciphering the volume of a funky shaped fiberglass box . I like Image Dynamics because they always build subs that A)sound great not loud and B) work in REALLY small boxes... These particular subs require only ~0.2 cuft. So i'll build the box to my liking and then fill up the space to make it perfect. You would be amazed at how much box design and volume matter when putting these things together.

Originally Posted by my996
BTW, good work so far and I am curious to see the final results as I have the audio innovation boxes right now and have seriously thought about placing new custom amps boxes where you are building them. I'd love to stop by over the summer and see your results. Good luck.
Where is bloomfield You're more than welcome to come over and take a look this summer. I NEVER get to see any other porsches around here, im jealous of these cali guys that get to go on little cruises all the time and check out each others rides!!

I've looked over that NAK head unit quite a bit, for well over a year now . My issue with nak is one thing...reliability. From what i understand with their stuff it's not an issue of IF it will break down, but more WHEN it will break down. I guess now they offer free replacement now, but you have like 2 months downtime while you wait for them to send it to you. So im torn...??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fun Little Project (Stereo)