996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Fun Little Project (Stereo)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 01:14 AM
Jurichar is infamous around these parts
Fun Little Project (Stereo)

I figured it was time for another project, so tonight the game was on. To give you an idea of what's going on here. This is basically the start of two custom fiberglass subwoofer enclosures that will go in front of the two rear seats and hold a pair of 8"s. Although its kind of hard to get a full picture of what is going on here this is the base layer (bottom) of the enclosure. Making it out of glass will make it sit nice and snug around the curvature of the body. After this sets up i will take it all out, cut away the stray glass pieces and lay another really thin layer on the inside.....that will be tomarrow

Then the process gets interesting .....stay tuned for more pics

Start of the process...removal of the back seat

Duct tape is perfect for closely following the curvature and saves the carpet!!!

Both sides done....and interior nice and protected...i hope

Old 03-02-2007, 01:15 AM
The tools of fun

Passenger side is done....stage 1

Drivers side...stage 1

Now its time for some beers...

Old 03-02-2007, 01:16 AM
for the record....i've been sniffing that fiberglass resin all night. I just realized I posted the drivers/passengers side pics backwards. I'm sure there's more typo's i'll have to fix tomarrow

[edit]...i just realized i posted this in the for sale section.....im going to bed

Old 03-02-2007, 01:46 AM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Dude, you are handling business. Sweet.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:12 AM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
you mean something like these?

http://www.caraudioinnovations.com/porsche.htm

they sell all kinds of stuff for P cars....

Old 03-02-2007, 04:15 AM
jox
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jurichar
[edit]...i just realized i posted this in the for sale section.....im going to bed

Screw alcohol, I'm getting high on fiberglass resin this weekend!

Old 03-02-2007, 06:33 AM
potxoli is infamous around these parts
that's awsome. The newest make magazine gives instructions on how to work with carbon fiber...I've been thinking what could be built for porsche's. Carbon fiber subs would be crazy!

Old 03-02-2007, 10:57 AM
Newport...thats really similar to what im looking at doing...cept mine will be nicer . i just looked on their website they want $1300 a pair with crappy earthquake subwoofers. WOW. $1300 is crazy. They are a TON of work, but still.

Potxoli. Carbon fiber is just a sheet material that is coated with fiberglass resin. The final step of this project could be finished with carbon fiber with not much trouble. im not a huge carbon fiber fan...but in the right situation i bet it would look awesome.

Fox...lol i was a mess last night. It's like 10 degrees outside here in michigan and my kerosene heater cant keep up if i open the doors. Seems like i might have to ante up and work in the cold next time

Old 03-02-2007, 11:48 AM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Keep us posted! That looks like it'll be a NICE sounding system....

Old 03-02-2007, 11:53 AM
ZX9RCAM is infamous around these parts
Keep us posted with the progress.......nice work so far!

Old 03-02-2007, 12:58 PM
potxoli is infamous around these parts
Yes keep us posted. I've been wanting to try working with fiberglass or carbonfiber and resin for a while, but haven't jumped in yet. Would love to see the full project

Old 03-02-2007, 01:10 PM
Bill W is infamous around these parts
What is the cubic feet you are shooting for? What type sub and amp?

Old 03-02-2007, 01:47 PM
I'll definately keep everyone posted on the progress.

Bill...I'm not 100% sure on the subs or volume yet. My plan was to build the enclosures and see what kind of volume i got and choose a sub based on that. I figure i'll get about .5 cuft ish and my subs of choice would be the new IDQ v.3 8"s that are going to be released in a few months...I'm an Image Dynamics fan. I may also go with the sound splitter RL-i 8", heard great things about them. If i hit the lottery i may spring for some focal utopia Be's....

The amplifier is a DLS a.7 and i have a cdt-es 3-way component setup. The reciever is the touchy part now...i'm thinking i'll use the factory becker headunit with a rockford 360.2. I would REALLY like to keep that "stock" look. Aftermarket cd units are SOOO tacky now; and the becker looks at home in there

Last edited by Jurichar; 03-02-2007 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:51 PM
I just got to thinking... I've got my car 100% prepped to whip these things out. If anyone is interested i could probably make a few extra pairs if anyone wanted one. I certainly wouldn't charge $1300 for em . I'd have to see how much i have into materials (this stuff is expensive) and come up w/ a price.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:20 PM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
You are a brave soul! Keep it up.....looking forward to your results!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fun Little Project (Stereo)