996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Buying car long distance - advice needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 04:03 PM
mookie is infamous around these parts
Buying car long distance - advice needed

I'm working on a deal for a C4 Cab located out of state. Part of the deal is a trade for one of my current vehicles.

How do these transactions usually work logistics wise?

Who ships what to whom when?

How does each party protect themselves?

Old 03-10-2004, 04:20 PM
porschegm is infamous around these parts
are you working with franchised dealer or an independent?

Old 03-10-2004, 04:29 PM
pieball is infamous around these parts
First have a pre-purchase inspection by a qualified inspector(another dealer or a service in that area), if you havn't done so. After the numbers are correct, generally the dealer arranges the shipping but you may. If it's a great distance I would try to go enclosed but it will cost maybe 1/3 more. How is the dealer working on your trade sight unseen? Is he gonna have an inspection on your vehicle? It would be cheaper for the dealer to ship your car and take your trade back with the trucker. I can offer alot more info if you want to e-mail me. He may require that you ship your vehicle out first along with the difference, then ship his. This may result in higher shipping costs due to two separate trips.

Old 03-10-2004, 05:35 PM
This is a franchised dealer I'm working with. They are going to certify the car for me, so I assumed an additional PPI would not be needed. Current plan is for them to ship me the car and then I ship them my trade. They have seen my trade via pictures and I gave them a reference which I don't know if they have checked - it is a classic car.

Old 03-10-2004, 06:00 PM
The car still could have had a major accident and be certified. Still do the PPI w/carfax just to insure a clean car. PPI is less than a couple hundred for peace of mind. When is the final payment to be made? Several what-ifs but you seem to be going in the right direction. No matter what, they'll place themselves in the upper hand. PPI will also protect you with possible shipping damage issues that could arrise. Not that I want to scare you or anything , but what if there's a substantial "blemmish" somewhere and they don't tell you? They could say it was never there and the trucker did it...
FWIW

Old 03-10-2004, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the advice.

I'll consider the independent PPI.

I've done a CarFax on the car and it looks clean. The balance of the payment is my car - I'll send it when I see the Porsche and approve.

Old 03-10-2004, 06:38 PM
Check a couple threads back on a carfax botch! Can't just go by that! Why don't you just make it a weekend trip and check it? It might really sway you! When you get to touch it, that's what makes the difference. I bought mine from Texas, way to far to check myself. Had my heart in my throat trusting everyone who told me it was perfect, including the PPI guy. Do they really want your car that bad, do they have a buyer? Took an extra pessimist pill today, can't ya tell? If my car came in with a substantial blemmish I woulda cried.

Old 03-11-2004, 06:11 PM
Banned
Tim W. is infamous around these parts
I have bought 3 cars this way. In each case we split shipping. i paid for mine to go to them and they paid for theirs to come to me.

I had a PPI done each time to protect myself. As long as they agree to the terms on your trade and the PPI is cool you are good to go. It is nice to be able to expand you buying horizons out of state. Of the 14 BMW's I have owned i only bought one local. Local BMW's are about 4k more than others nation wide here.

Have a good one!

PS: I have had good luck with fellow board members stopping by to check out the car for me as well.

Old 03-11-2004, 07:23 PM
jnx
jnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to behold
You may want to let us know where you are buying it from. Then maybe someone could go look at it. I went to Texas from Illinois on a car from a Porsche dealer, only to be very upset that the car was not like it was described. They sent alot of photos, but the blemishes did not show up. All in all I am glad I went there to look before I bought. Do you have any recourse if the car is not as described? I am not trying to alarm you, just pointing out some things you may not have thought of. Good luck.

Old 03-11-2004, 07:31 PM
The car is not at the dealership yet - it will be a trade on a new car, but they should have the car soon (maybe tomorrow). If anybody out there can take a look, I could probably arrange to have you see the car. That would be a great help.

The dealer is Precision Cars in Atlantic City N.J. - any feedback on them?

I can probably structure things such that I can refuse the car if not as described. They seem very flexible on terms. I haven't signed anything yet or sent any money.

Old 03-12-2004, 09:22 AM
Can anybody help mookie out? I'm a little to far away.

Old 03-12-2004, 09:39 AM
jnx
jnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by mookie
The car is not at the dealership yet - it will be a trade on a new car, but they should have the car soon (maybe tomorrow). If anybody out there can take a look, I could probably arrange to have you see the car. That would be a great help.

The dealer is Precision Cars in Atlantic City N.J. - any feedback on them?

I can probably structure things such that I can refuse the car if not as described. They seem very flexible on terms. I haven't signed anything yet or sent any money.
I would most certainly structure it so you can refuse the car. I live near StLouis, So I can't help. There should be someone out there near that dealer.

Old 03-12-2004, 10:16 AM
mookie I can certainly look in the book for ya with a PPI guy?

Old 03-12-2004, 10:40 AM
OK, send me the name of anybody you can find in the area that could do a PPI.

The dealer is willing to give a written guarantee that the deal can be voided with full refund if the car is not to my satisfaction when it arrives.

Old 03-12-2004, 10:57 AM
That's cool and he'll eat the shipping?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Buying car long distance - advice needed