996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

New Wheels!!! Which Tires????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 09:41 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Jurichar
lol...thats what i was thinking was the 6 tire thing stupid?? Worst case scenario i'll sell em on ebay i guess, heh. But yeah, props to discount tire!!!
Stupid Nah... now if you bought another set of wheels and two front tires...then, yes that would be stupid... unless you wanna sel it to me for 3250...that would be smart

Old 03-21-2007, 09:54 PM
Jurichar is infamous around these parts
lol i dont want to push my luck w/ discount I'll keep you in mind when i run across my next deal

Old 03-21-2007, 11:39 PM
MAD CAT is infamous around these parts
Thanks madcat....if you dont mind me asking, what did you pay for yours??? I'll ask the guy if he'll give me 2 for 1 on the tires to make up for the wheel thing ...pm me the address you want the tires sent to lol
Believe me, you got a great deal on the new set! I paid almost the same price for a used set ! Now you got another steal of TOYOs, where's mine???

What size did you decide to go with the rear?

Old 03-22-2007, 12:33 AM
LOL you said you wanted michelins ...i got ya half of a set!!! .

I went with 235/35/19 and 285/30/19. Hopefully that'll work out well

Old 03-22-2007, 12:47 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
LOL you said you wanted michelins ...i got ya half of a set!!! .

I went with 235/35/19 and 285/30/19. Hopefully that'll work out well
That should work... unless toyo dimensions are totally screwy, you have only 1% error between the front/back:

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
285/30-19 3.4in 12.9in 25.7in 80.8in 784 0.0%
235/35-19 3.2in 12.7in 25.5in 80.0in 792 -1.0%

Old 03-22-2007, 12:58 AM
thanks again for all the help...i wish we still had rep Its gonna be a few weeks till my tires come in (special order) so i wont know for sure how everything worked out until then....count on pictures

Redridge - im assuming you want a small degree of error between front and rear....but i dont understand why for sure. Can you enlighten me?

Old 03-22-2007, 01:15 AM
for ABS, PSM reasons, according to the gurus from PCA you should not exceed 4% between front/back. The speed of all 4 tires are monitored, if the speed difference are great (whatever that limit is set in the DME) between the 4 tires, PSM and ABS will be unreliable (confused).
Actually the less error in size between the 4 tires, the more accurate the speed will be transmitted to the DME, hence, better control for PSM, ABS...as intended design.

Edit: its rare that you see perfect (same) dimension front/rear tires.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:24 AM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
I'd pick up the RE050A PPs no doubt and I've done the PS2s.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:27 AM
Originally Posted by Redridge
for ABS, PSM reasons, according to the gurus from PCA you should not exceed 4% between front/back. The speed of all 4 tires are monitored, if the speed difference are great (whatever that limit is set in the DME) between the 4 tires, PSM and ABS will be unreliable (confused).
Actually the less error in size between the 4 tires, the more accurate the speed will be transmitted to the DME, hence, better control for PSM, ABS...as intended design.

Edit: its rare that you see perfect (same) dimension front/rear tires.
u da man thanks!

Old 03-31-2007, 01:39 PM
ix ix vi is infamous around these parts
Gentlemen:

Very popular topic here (I'm glad to see!)! I'm soliciting for opinions on the two tires I've boiled my search down to, which are the new RE050a Pole Position and the Advan Sport. I realize the PS2 is the tire of choice around here, but I have a 996 C2 Cab w/18's, which will not accept a 295 and I don't want to cut back to 265's. Am currently running the Conti 2's, 225's in front. 285's rear. I was pretty well set to order the Yoko's (a company who's tires I've had GREAT success with over the years on a wide variety of vehicles) the other day, when I read a ton of raves on the Rack review board on the new Pole Position. Which is a freakin' steal, if it's as good as everybody is saying. Now, mind you, I won't make a decision on price alone, but a deal is a deal!

Anyway, the car is a near daily 3 season driver for me, is never tracked and stored in a non heated garage. So, the Neova's, and the like, are out of the question, since the rubber compund can never see sub 40 degrees. I don't take her out if it's already raining, or threatening, when I leave. But, rain performance is at least a small factor, since this is pretty much my daily driver and I do get caught in the rain from time to time. Especially at risk during weekend trips, you understand.

Thoughts, comments, opinions, musings welcomed, even encouraged!

My thanks in advance,
Mario (ix ix vi)

Old 03-31-2007, 10:28 PM
I've got somewhat of an update. Discount called today saying it may be 3 more weeks of backorder until those tires come in. He offered look into other options and reccommended kuhmo spt or bridgstone potneza's. Anyone have any input on these???

One issue is that both brands are only available as a 275/19. How big of a deal is the difference between 275 and 285??? Both of these will cost me quite a bit more $$$.

Should i just hold out for a few more weeks or are these alternatives acceptable/optimal???

THANKS!!!

Old 03-31-2007, 11:55 PM
viper501 is infamous around these parts
I've been happy w/ the Potenza RE050's that replaced my S03's.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:51 AM
I've got somewhat of an update. Discount called today saying it may be 3 more weeks of backorder until those tires come in. He offered look into other options and reccommended kuhmo spt or bridgstone potneza's. Anyone have any input on these???

One issue is that both brands are only available as a 275/19. How big of a deal is the difference between 275 and 285??? Both of these will cost me quite a bit more $$$.

Should i just hold out for a few more weeks or are these alternatives acceptable/optimal???

THANKS!!!
even better numbers with 275/19
Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
235/35-19 3.2in 12.7in 25.5in 80.0in 792 0.0%
275/30-19 3.2in 12.7in 25.5in 80.1in 791 0.1%

Old 04-01-2007, 01:10 AM
any thoughts on the brands redridge??

I'm leaning more towards the kumho's if anything those potnezas are almost 2x the price of either, and from what i've read they aren't much if any "better"

Old 04-01-2007, 10:36 AM
viper501 is infamous around these parts
I had the Kumho MX's on my BMW. They were fine but *no* grip when cold. Got a little noisy as the miles piled on too. For the money though, they're a decent deal.

My RE050 pole positions have been great so far. Quieter than the MX's and seem to have more cold grip. Very good in the rain as well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Wheels!!! Which Tires????