996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Anybody recommend a place to get an X74 installed in NJ/NY/PA area?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 04:17 PM
AdamB is infamous around these parts
Anybody recommend a place to get an X74 installed in NJ/NY/PA area?

I've called Princeton Porsche and Holberts and neither of them had even heard of an X74 suspension. Flemington Porsche is a dealership I just wouldn't trust with a bicycle. Any other recommendations? I would just fear having a dealership install a suspension that has never even heard of it.

Old 03-15-2004, 10:59 PM
Perfect. I'll be giving them a call tomorrow.

Old 03-15-2004, 11:09 PM
I'm going to try and get Gert to send me the X74 by Thursday like he said he could. If he can I was going to aim for a Friday install this week. I wonder if AWE could install it if I tag along on Thursday down to Philly with everybody.

I'm trying to clear my schedule as I'd love to come out and meet everybody. Unfortunately, I might be busy that day. I'll try to figure it out in the next few days and let you and PorscheBabe know.

Old 03-16-2004, 11:15 AM
Jenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud of
Adam are you in NYC? There is a place in CT about 30 min outside NYC called speed sport tuning. They will be doing my X74 when I get it. Spencer quoted me $1100 for install and alignment.

Old 03-16-2004, 11:20 AM
Ugh..that number is ridiculous. I've spoken to a bunch of dealerships/shops today and it seems like $500-750 is the consensus on the cost for the installation and alignment.

I'll give them a call if I don't end up using the places I've already spoken to. Thanks though.

Old 03-16-2004, 12:19 PM
Jenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud of
Wow really? I guess I'll have to make sure he and I are talking about the same parts. Here is his email:
My charge is $1100.
Replace suspension set up car and ride height.
Perform 4 wheel sport alignment.

Not sure what he meant by ride height, maybe he thought I was talking about coil overs and the price would be less for just shocks, springs and sway bars.

Old 03-16-2004, 01:24 PM
Yeah, I bet it'll be less, but the price still sounds high. My two Porsche dealers were in the 700 range. The independent shop was 500 range.

Nobody seemed to have any clue what the suspension was nor had any of them seen it. I'm just going to bring the chart with the alignment settings and the rest should be rather straightforward. If you have the M030 suspension already you have the swaybars so that is one less additional amount of labor. I wish I was brave enough to attempt this as a DIY, but I wouldn't know where to begin.

Old 03-17-2004, 12:24 PM
Yep, I've got an appointment tentatively for Friday there. The X74 is supposed to come in on Thursday. My only problem is that if I don't use a Porsche dealer I'm going to be sitting and waiting for the entire 6-7 hours.

Old 03-17-2004, 12:39 PM
I'm so angry at FEDEX now. I just went to track the item from Gert's and it appears like it was "too late to get on the plane" Therefore fedex kindly bumped it back a day and my suspension comes in on Friday by noon rather than Thursday. Just in time for me to see it sit in the box for at least 2 months until I can find a weekday to get it installaled. Of course there is no option for a weekend installation anywhere.

Old 03-17-2004, 01:17 PM
I'll probably end up doing that, but I'm gonna try and do the "pickup" first thing in the morning at the sorting facility route and continue right on to Old Bridge Tire. The guy there really sounds great, and I think he'll do a better job than the Porsche dealer who is probably rushed with a zillion other jobs.

Old 03-18-2004, 10:29 AM
Got my suspension. One other question, when you go are you going to bring someone to take you home or are you going to brave it out and sit there for the entire installation?

I'm going tomorrow but it looks like I might actually have to sit there.

Old 03-18-2004, 05:20 PM
AC 996C2 is infamous around these parts
Jenner, FYI: AWE is charging me much, much less than that to install my PSS9's including alignment.