996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Performance Chip for 01 C2?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 10:27 PM
hotcello is infamous around these parts
Performance Chip for 01 C2?

Hello
Was wondering what you guys would recommand for my car to get a bid faster. I have a 2001 C2 Cab(3.4) with just the Cold Air Intake from K&N and exhaust muffler from Gemballa. I have a 02 M3 full eisenmann exhaust, header, chip and a 01 S4 with Giac chip and down pipes. Both of these cars dyno around 300 at wheel and can easily take my Porsche. Any recommandation to do a small upgrade without going to super charging it. Any chip? does that help? if so which one is the best out there?
Thanks, just trying to get close to my other cars...

Old 03-28-2007, 11:02 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Sorry, but you cant do much with these cars to get 300 to the wheel... how about a short shift kit

Old 03-28-2007, 11:07 PM
yes, got that, Shnell.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:38 AM
AsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the rough
fellow cab here..and yeah not worth chipping our cars. For NA cars it is not worth it.

The software really helps TT cars...trust me I was the same way...I did research and read what people say and the gains are totally not worth it. Plus our cars are cabs..so we are even heavier and wont feel anything.

Use the moolah for other stuff. Sounds like u got the rest of the mods already completed on the pcar.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:51 AM
thanks. I read that Giac gives you 15-22 HP gain but you're right that our cars have more weight so won't feel so much. I did like that CAI from KN, it might not make the car faster but it sure did make it sound much better with my exhaust.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:50 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
I did GIAC, V-flow and exhaust...gain is only 10-15HP to the rear, then added headers... it becomes more responsive, sounds beautiful but no noticeable increase in power...however that RSS plenum might be you ticket with all the mods mentioned... RSS plenum on our cars is 24WHP. DeputyDog is doing one with a 3.6 soon, maybe he'll chime in and give us the lowdown

Old 03-29-2007, 11:41 AM
John Romano is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Redridge
I did GIAC, V-flow and exhaust...gain is only 10-15HP to the rear, then added headers... it becomes more responsive, sounds beautiful but no noticeable increase in power...however that RSS plenum might be you ticket with all the mods mentioned... RSS plenum on our cars is 24WHP. DeputyDog is doing one with a 3.6 soon, maybe he'll chime in and give us the lowdown

But his car is SCed.

How does Porsche get 415 HP from a 3.6 NA in the GT3? I know it's a different motor, but what is done to it for the extra 100HP?

Old 03-29-2007, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the info, never hear of that RSS Plenum stuff, does anyone have that on their car? How much does it cost? and does it really give that much power? if so, that might just be what I am looking for without SC the car

Old 03-29-2007, 12:14 PM
My theory is Porsche is a marathon runner, Im sure they have the know how to make 415hp back in 1999 when the gt3 was originally released with 360hp, but opted to slowly bump their hp 15-25 hp per gen cars. Theyve practicaly invented club racing so their very a experienced company.
To answer your question, its a race engine, not much different from a cup car. Lighter guts, higher compression, higher revs, bigger fuel lines, more agressive intake/exhaust profiles...etc, etc, etc for exapmple: a pic of a turbo, gt3, gt3rsr head...

Last edited by Redridge; 03-29-2007 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by hotcello
Thanks for the info, never hear of that RSS Plenum stuff, does anyone have that on their car? How much does it cost? and does it really give that much power? if so, that might just be what I am looking for without SC the car
here:http://roadsportsupply.com/IPD_Plenums_Porsche.html
and read this:https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=75109

let us know if you decide to do this, and post feed back

Old 03-29-2007, 08:05 PM
AsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the rough
see...check it out

996 Intake Plenum for 3.4 Liter 99-00
HP Gains: 25
Torque Gains: 22
Part# 96200
Retail Price: $995

is 25HP worth $1000??? and you still need it installed!!! Dollars to donuts...no way jose.

If you want more power sell and get a TT and then go crazy. From what I hear all the mods for a TT are REAL and NOTICEABLE. Porsche totally detunes the TTs..so a GIAC ECU and CAI and this and that...really really wakes the car up.

So much working against us..

C2 with the SMALL engine..3.4
Cabriolet on top of that...

Old 03-29-2007, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by AsianImage
see...check it out

996 Intake Plenum for 3.4 Liter 99-00
HP Gains: 25
Torque Gains: 22
Part# 96200
Retail Price: $995

is 25HP worth $1000??? and you still need it installed!!! Dollars to donuts...no way jose.

If you want more power sell and get a TT and then go crazy. From what I hear all the mods for a TT are REAL and NOTICEABLE. Porsche totally detunes the TTs..so a GIAC ECU and CAI and this and that...really really wakes the car up.

So much working against us..

C2 with the SMALL engine..3.4
Cabriolet on top of that...

Good point, I would get a TT but I like the cabriolet too much and one on TT would be out of my reach now..

Old 03-30-2007, 02:00 AM
John Romano is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Redridge
My theory is Porsche is a marathon runner, Im sure they have the know how to make 415hp back in 1999 when the gt3 was originally released with 360hp, but opted to slowly bump their hp 15-25 hp per gen cars. Theyve practicaly invented club racing so their very a experienced company.
To answer your question, its a race engine, not much different from a cup car. Lighter guts, higher compression, higher revs, bigger fuel lines, more agressive intake/exhaust profiles...etc, etc, etc for exapmple: a pic of a turbo, gt3, gt3rsr head...

That is VERY interesting. Thank you. Has no one fooled with the heads on our cars? It just seems to me that the HP potential is so narrow in these motors, when you can take a small block V8 and twist huge numbers out of it. Much like Porsche is doing in the examples you gave, only for a fraction of the cost.

I guess an SC is about the best bang for the buck out there. I wish I could feel one before I pulled the trigger.