996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Well I finally did it!!! I had my stock 3.6L mufflers modified

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 05:34 AM
CoreyNJ is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by deputydog95
I tried this before getting my cargraphic cans. It sounded okay I guess. However, after parking next to a car with PSE and revving the motors, it didn't sound half as good as the PSE car. I promptly got rid of them and put some aftermarket mufflers on there. You would think it sounded the same, but it doesn't.
Which one did you do? I know your car is a 2002, but did you knock out the plug or did you do the small pipe? My neighbor has the PSE and the MKII (plug with big pipe) sounds very similar on my 03 and his 04.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:29 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by John Romano
I thought Tubi was king....
if you own a ferrari maybe....

Old 04-15-2007, 08:33 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CoreyNJ
Which one did you do? I know your car is a 2002, but did you knock out the plug or did you do the small pipe? My neighbor has the PSE and the MKII (plug with big pipe) sounds very similar on my 03 and his 04.
it looked like yours with the big pipe. my shop was doing them so i tried them out. like i said, side by side, not even close. if it was $50, i would have kept them. i'd rather spend $400 more and get the schnells. well, truth be told i spent a lot more than that and got the cargraphics which sound just the pse's, but 25% louder.

fortunatley or unfortunatley my new suncoast headers made a lot more power (before and after dynos) but it really changed that sweet sound i had when it was just mufflers.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:51 AM
I'm trying to upload a sound clip but keep getting a database error. I'll try again tomorrow...

Maybe something about how your shop did it or the 2002 muffler vs. 2003, but mine sounds very close to the real PSE on the block (we just compared next to each other).

I'd say my cost was about $200 if you don't count the installation. Looking at my recept, It was $350 plus tax for everything. To do a real comparison against buying new cans you can't count the install.

Even including the install, for around the cost of a minor service, I got what I wanted, not too loud, just more throaty and sporty....

I don't doubt a Tubi or Cargraphics sound better, but I'd rather spend the extra $$$$ on other mods (Bumperplug Eric will be getting another call soon as all the rain stops up here so I can work on my car outsode)

Last edited by CoreyNJ; 04-15-2007 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:38 AM
Whatever makes you happy. It's all relative. Some people actually like the GHL quiets... You should try and do side by side sound clips with the PSE. That would be cool. Put the cars next to each other and keep the mic in the same spot. Maybe my guy just didn't do a good job. Seems pretty simple though. I'm not sure how you could mess it up.

Old 04-15-2007, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by deputydog95
Whatever makes you happy. It's all relative. Some people actually like the GHL quiets... You should try and do side by side sound clips with the PSE. That would be cool. Put the cars next to each other and keep the mic in the same spot. Maybe my guy just didn't do a good job. Seems pretty simple though. I'm not sure how you could mess it up.
I'll try to do that next week, we are expecting a lot of rain starting tonight....

As for how he could screw it up... I don't think screw it up is the term, but pipe size and angle of the curve and stuff like that can change the sound. From what I read there are 2 sizes of large pipes that could be used. Also depends on the size of the hole they make in the output pipe. If they made the whole the size of the pipe or smaller....

Old 04-15-2007, 04:31 PM
phaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond repute
how does the mkI sounds compared to the mkII?

Old 04-15-2007, 07:57 PM
Don't know, but if anyone wants to hear the MKII and can't wait for me to figure out how to upload the wave file without an error message, PM me and I'll call you and let you listen to the exhaust over my cellphone after all the rain is done here in NJ.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:58 PM
grizzy is infamous around these parts
let me know if u wanna hear the real deal--muffler bypass-muhahaahah

Mike

Old 04-17-2007, 12:08 AM
phaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond repute
i would think you should have no trouble uploading to megaupload.com or somewhere like that

Old 04-27-2007, 10:46 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
total n00b question (yes new P owner here...) - How do you tell if your car has the PSE? Was this an option offered on specific models / years, etc?

I have purchased a KN Intake (not installed yet) and am now thinking exhaust for improving sound as well.

'02 996 coupe- Apologies if it's a lame question, thx in advance to the resident experts

Old 04-27-2007, 11:11 PM
Zose is infamous around these parts
For those that have done this mod, can you tell me if there is a visual way to tell the difference between the 3.4L cans and the 3.6L cans? I'm planning on doing the MKII mod to my 2002 targa and I'm picking up a set of mufflers from a shop that had them as a take offs from someone elses car. I just want to verify that I get the 3.6L cans so I can do the mod correctly.

Thanks

Mike

Old 04-28-2007, 04:11 AM
Originally Posted by p0rsch3
total n00b question (yes new P owner here...) - How do you tell if your car has the PSE? Was this an option offered on specific models / years, etc?
yes, it was an option on all years. however, many people have added it after the fact.

if it was installed at the factory, the dash switch will be there. that gives you the option to control how loud it is. most people who install it after the fact, don't install the dash switch and leave it in the "loud" mode. it sounds much better than stock and it's not obnoxiously loud.

so, either look for the dash switch or go out and floor your car with the windows down if you have heard other stock 996's, you'll know if you have the PSE or not. your other option is to get up under there and take a look. the PSE mufflers look a bit different that the stock mufflers, due to the noise baffling switch. i'm sure if you google it, you can find plenty of pics to compare it to.

Old 04-28-2007, 04:18 AM
Originally Posted by Zose
For those that have done this mod, can you tell me if there is a visual way to tell the difference between the 3.4L cans and the 3.6L cans? I'm planning on doing the MKII mod to my 2002 targa and I'm picking up a set of mufflers from a shop that had them as a take offs from someone elses car. I just want to verify that I get the 3.6L cans so I can do the mod correctly.

Thanks

Mike
Don't quote me on this, but if I remember correctly (IIRC), the 3.4 and 3.6 liter cans will fit either of the models. And again, IIRC, I believe the 3.4 cans are a bit more aggressive sounding than the 3.6 cans. The tips are different between models so make sure you get the right ones for your 02. I believe the 02-up sit out a little further. If I were you, I would get the part number off the cans and check it out. The part numbers for the PSE's can be easily found online. And double check my info. I'd hate to steer you wrong

Old 04-28-2007, 09:15 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
deputydog-
cool- thanks for taking the time to answer my Q, much appreciated.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Well I finally did it!!! I had my stock 3.6L mufflers modified