996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Well I finally did it!!! I had my stock 3.6L mufflers modified

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 11:54 AM
CosmosC4S is a jewel in the roughCosmosC4S is a jewel in the roughCosmosC4S is a jewel in the roughCosmosC4S is a jewel in the rough
I am seriously considering doing the MKII mod on my original cans.
Thanks for the reassurance, CoreyNJ

Old 04-29-2007, 07:56 AM
Banned
Arnee is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Zose
For those that have done this mod, can you tell me if there is a visual way to tell the difference between the 3.4L cans and the 3.6L cans? I'm planning on doing the MKII mod to my 2002 targa and I'm picking up a set of mufflers from a shop that had them as a take offs from someone elses car. I just want to verify that I get the 3.6L cans so I can do the mod correctly.

Thanks

Mike

3.6L cans have the "accordion" on the output pipe. 3.4L does NOT.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:50 AM
cgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to behold
I have read thru a lot of post for this mod, so if the mod does not sound exactly like the pse then, even though the cans look same from the outside the internals have to be different because you guys are doing the mod just like the porshce does in the factory except for the open close valve.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:47 PM
phaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cgng30
I have read thru a lot of post for this mod, so if the mod does not sound exactly like the pse then, even though the cans look same from the outside the internals have to be different because you guys are doing the mod just like the porshce does in the factory except for the open close valve.
i have read all of the posts too as i am interested in the mod as well and the difference seems to be subjective and opinion at best. as you stated, there is no physical reason why they should not sound the same, and to my knowledge, no one has lined up a hacked car with an oem pse car to see if there really is a difference. without that, these threads will always be "i have heard a real pse 4 years ago, and my hacked muffler sounds way better/worse than the real pse" type thing.

Old 05-19-2007, 06:06 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by phaphaphooey
i have read all of the posts too as i am interested in the mod as well and the difference seems to be subjective and opinion at best. as you stated, there is no physical reason why they should not sound the same, and to my knowledge, no one has lined up a hacked car with an oem pse car to see if there really is a difference. without that, these threads will always be "i have heard a real pse 4 years ago, and my hacked muffler sounds way better/worse than the real pse" type thing.
i had my mufflers hacked and then immediatley went to a car meet in south florida. i parked my car next to a car with pse we ran them simulataneously with each other taking turns revving the cars while the other stood outside to listen. mine did not sound the pse. it was better than stock, but not the pse. the pse sounded better.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:11 AM
phaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by deputydog95
i had my mufflers hacked and then immediatley went to a car meet in south florida. i parked my car next to a car with pse we ran them simulataneously with each other taking turns revving the cars while the other stood outside to listen. mine did not sound the pse. it was better than stock, but not the pse. the pse sounded better.
well, even though other members have reported opposite findings, it seems that i stand corrected. thanks for the input on the pse. so what do you think makes your's different from real pse cans?

Old 05-19-2007, 11:37 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by phaphaphooey
well, even though other members have reported opposite findings, it seems that i stand corrected. thanks for the input on the pse. so what do you think makes your's different from real pse cans?
cause mine are made by cargraphic

i got rid of the hacks. i didn't like them. everything is subjective though.

the guy i used for a comparison is a board member here. i think it was carbonismo or something like that. those that listened them all agreed that they didn't sound as good as the real thing.

hey, if someone is happy with the hacked cans, then that is all that matters. like i said, everything is subjective. you certainly save a lot of money going that way.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:47 AM
raffi is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by deputydog95
cause mine are made by cargraphic

i got rid of the hacks. i didn't like them. everything is subjective though.

the guy i used for a comparison is a board member here. i think it was carbonismo or something like that. those that listened them all agreed that they didn't sound as good as the real thing.

hey, if someone is happy with the hacked cans, then that is all that matters. like i said, everything is subjective. you certainly save a lot of money going that way.
i totally agree, although i did it on my 997 i dont think there is much difference.
same characteristics as the pse but not nearly as loud. i dont know if the installation techniques are different in the people that claim it is as loud.
i posted a similar comment in another thread that this mod is worth it if you can have everything done for $50. otherwise try to pick up some used mufflers which are everywhere on ebay.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:25 AM
3deep is infamous around these parts3deep is infamous around these parts3deep is infamous around these parts3deep is infamous around these parts
Correct me if im wrong, but arnt you supposed to cut the can open and run the pipe from first chamber.Not just cut a hole and connect from outside of can.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:09 PM
raffi is infamous around these parts
actually, after driving for a few days i am satisfied with this mod. i have paid way more than $50 for other stuff (CAI) that i thought would give me better sound, but this is definitely better.
how much did a shop charge you to open up the mufflers and work the internals.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:28 PM
3deep is infamous around these parts3deep is infamous around these parts3deep is infamous around these parts3deep is infamous around these parts
I dont have it but i have seen it and i believe thats the way the PSE's are designed.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by 3deep
Correct me if im wrong, but arnt you supposed to cut the can open and run the pipe from first chamber.Not just cut a hole and connect from outside of can.
i believe you are getting mkI and mkII confused. mkI is where you connect from the outside of the can and mkII is where you run a pipe from the first chamber if i am understanding you correctly.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:25 PM
grahamtwatson is infamous around these parts
What difference would it make to the sound if the bypass pipe was smaller - would it change the tone or just the volume? Or have no effect?

Also, does anyone know of any sort of valve that would work in this setup - I'm thinking an adjustable version could be quite cool, although getting up in the space to adjust the valve could be a challenge.

Also, does this mod have the same sort of resonance issues that many of the aftermarket ones do?

Old 10-11-2007, 09:52 AM
CoreyNJ is infamous around these parts
No resonance issues, yes the pipe size makes a difference, but it is something I would keep to the same size as the removed plug.

If you want a valve, just buy the PSE...

Old 10-12-2007, 03:31 PM
Curves4S is infamous around these parts
PSE is KING!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Well I finally did it!!! I had my stock 3.6L mufflers modified