996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

x74 Installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 07:27 PM
UCrazyKid is infamous around these partsUCrazyKid is infamous around these parts
x74 Installed

I finnally broke down and ordered a kit from Carnewal.

I just acquired my '02 Carrera Coupe in December. I needed to replace my Honda S2000 because my wife and I had a baby and I needed a backseat.

My first feelings about the Porsche was that it was really fast, but the handling was soft and sloppy. I longed for the slot car like handling of my S2000. I started researching suspension for the 996, of which there are many, and settled on the x74. This is why. I have a third party extended warranty that calls for no aftermarket suspensions. So to protect this, I was limiting myself to Porsche kits. I was discouraged by reports that the ROW M030 kit had variaitons in its' final ride height by +/- 10mm and that some people didn't think it was enough. The more I read about the x74 it sounded great.

All it took to seal the deal was the sale at Carnewal on the x74 kit.

I decided to install it myself as I enjoy getting to know my car up close and personal and to save a few bucks too. 9+ hours later of working on my own it was done.

The car now handles great. It is very much like my old S2000. Not only is the handling head and shoulders better, but the ride quality is MUCH better too. I really feel that Porsche cheaped out on the stock suspension for the Carrera. The stock ride was both floaty AND harsh. I think a lot of it has to do with the cheap shocks that they use from Boge. The x74 is based on Bilstein shocks, and give a much more refined ride. While the ride is firmer, it is less harsh than the stock ride. I actually have fewer vibrations/rattles in the cab now with the x74 installed.

Needless to say I am very happy. The ride and handling are now what I expected from a Porsche. The car sits low, but it is not impossible I just need to use common sense when entering and exiting driveways.

This suspension really helps build confidence in the car. it is more predictable and feels more connected and lightweight. The car has been transformed. I highly recommend it.

Oh and I am a daily driver.

Andy

Old 04-13-2007, 11:48 PM
viper501 is infamous around these parts
I knew you'd love it.

Old 04-14-2007, 12:05 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
the stock suspension was to make the politicans happy... regulations

Old 04-14-2007, 12:19 AM
porschenut911 is infamous around these parts
What was the ride height before and after? Did you measure it? You should measure it again after 2500m as it I heard it settles more. Post some pix if you got them!

Old 04-14-2007, 01:36 AM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
I love it. You are the only person I know that bought a porsche because it has a backseat. Thanks for posting your evaluation of the X74 kit. You are one smooth talker.

Edit: I'm glad you did. I just happy that porsche owners are a resourceful group and realize the car can be very pratical.

Last edited by Onetime; 04-16-2007 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:52 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Onetime
I love it. You are the only person I know that bought a porsche because it has a backseat. Thanks for posting your evaluation of the X74 kit. You are one smooth talker.
lots of guys buys the porsche because of the back seat...how else are you gonna justify it to the wife... "honey we can take kids with us"...

Old 04-14-2007, 06:13 AM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
Good choice!!

Old 04-14-2007, 12:01 PM
UCrazyKid is infamous around these partsUCrazyKid is infamous around these parts
Pics coming soon, after I get the car washed this weekend.

Redridge, I agree that the stock ride height was due to regulations, but that is not an excuse for the slopy soft handling.

Viper501 you nailed it. Thanks for all the input.

Porschenut911, unfortunately I didn't measure before, but my after measurements are coming out the same as everyone elses ~25.5 inches fender to floor. I have been driving for a week now before getting an alignment to let the springs settle. based on the fact that they come compressed and mounted in the strut prior to installation, I don't expect them to sag that much over time, but we will see.

Onetime, The backseat (small as it is) was the deciding factor for my wife and I to get the car. Before I purchased I scoured the Porsche forums looking for people using babyseats in their Porsches. I found enough to be comfortable that it could be done. have the ultimate family car!

Pics coming....

Old 04-14-2007, 12:11 PM
ZEMDOGG is infamous around these parts
Awesome! i plan on doing the same! I just purchased the RS motor mounts from Gert and his service was A1!!!!!!

Old 04-14-2007, 03:10 PM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Redridge
lots of guys buys the porsche because of the back seat...how else are you gonna justify it to the wife... "honey we can take kids with us"...

what happens when u put the rollcage in =P

Old 04-14-2007, 03:24 PM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
congrats!!

Old 04-14-2007, 03:55 PM
michael.s.under is infamous around these parts
How much do these things run? Fresh!

Old 04-14-2007, 04:38 PM
~$2K plus install and alignment.

Old 04-14-2007, 05:12 PM
michael.s.under is infamous around these parts
Nice work, whats up with the pics?

Old 04-14-2007, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by angldrkns9
what happens when u put the rollcage in =P
c'mon help me out here

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: x74 Installed