996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Any place that sells GIAC Flash at a discount?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 09:07 AM
i300zxtt is infamous around these parts
Any place that sells GIAC Flash at a discount?

Most places want $1000 for the GIAC flash..any cheaper?

Any thoughts on Upsolute? Vivid sells it for $700...

Old 04-14-2007, 09:20 AM
John Romano is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by i300zxtt
Most places want $1000 for the GIAC flash..any cheaper?

Any thoughts on Upsolute? Vivid sells it for $700...
The best price I was able to find was $950 from a guy at Brandywine who no longer works there. I think AWE also told me they would do it at that price. GIAC is what everyone swears by - that is those who agree that circa $1000 is a fair price to pay for software that would cost half that on not so lofty a marque.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:27 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
do the plennum mod...same price, 10HP more than flash

Old 04-14-2007, 10:53 PM
CLS
CLS is infamous around these partsCLS is infamous around these parts
Do both.......

Old 04-14-2007, 11:16 PM
Ag Surfer is infamous around these parts
I just paid twice that amount.

Old 04-15-2007, 01:45 AM
Brucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to all
i need to replace my Uni-chip.... who does drive by cable???

Old 04-15-2007, 09:18 PM
Yeah, it irks me that a flash would cost less than 500 for almost any other car. "What the market will bear" right?

Old 04-15-2007, 11:39 PM
Brucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to all
well not totally what that, but think of the # of Porsches that get tuned with programs, compared to that of the VW's that get done, the cost for all of the research etc and to make a profit at say $500 makes sense when you sell 50,000 programs compared to 5000 pragrams for Porsches car (vs the # of cars that are on the road).. damn I hope that makes sense.. it does to me, but it's been a long *** day and I have had a few lol

Old 04-16-2007, 10:28 AM
John Romano is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Brucem
well not totally what that, but think of the # of Porsches that get tuned with programs, compared to that of the VW's that get done, the cost for all of the research etc and to make a profit at say $500 makes sense when you sell 50,000 programs compared to 5000 pragrams for Porsches car (vs the # of cars that are on the road).. damn I hope that makes sense.. it does to me, but it's been a long *** day and I have had a few lol
It makes sense, Bruce! It's the cost of exclusive ownership. That's why two mufflers from Tubi cost over 2 Grand. The possible market will only consume very little product. That makes a lot of sense, now that you made me think about it. Those supplying the aftermarket know going in their consumer base is very small.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by John Romano
It makes sense, Bruce! It's the cost of exclusive ownership. That's why two mufflers from Tubi cost over 2 Grand. The possible market will only consume very little product. That makes a lot of sense, now that you made me think about it. Those supplying the aftermarket know going in their consumer base is very small.
Hate to break it to you, but the 996 isn't really 'exclusive'. Porsche's production numbers after the 993 have skyrocketed.

The total number of Z32 300zx Turbos imported to the US was ~18,000 units, and a ECU flash is around 500 dollars.

Take this for example:

The only readily availble LWFW for the 996/997 (non turbo/gt3) is the Aasco unit @ ~900 dollars. (which is likely the same one FVD sells as its own) This is as compared to ~300 to $500 dollars for less prestigious makes.

How much would it cost to design and produce a flywheel from scratch? I mean the high cost of the 996 flywheel must be because of the 'small' market at high design costs right?

Well, lets ask Fidanza, a well known manufacturer of LWFW's.

"11. WHAT IS THE COST FOR A CUSTOM UNIT? – Most custom units can be done for $1000 to $1500. This includes design, machining and assembly. "

http://www.fidanza.com/FAQ.aspx

So, a totally custom unit would be only margainally more than the price we pay for a off the shelf unit.

PURE PROFIT.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:47 PM
UCrazyKid is infamous around these partsUCrazyKid is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Brucem
It's funny that you mention VW. Porsche, VW, Audi, Bently, BMW, Mini, Seat, Skoda all use the BOSCH engine management computer. Garret (GIAC) figured out how to crack their code and that is why you will notice that those are the marques that he tunes. Tuning one is not much harder than tuning another. Same amount of dyno time, etc.

Price is primarily defined by what the market will bear.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
It's funny that you mention VW. Porsche, VW, Audi, Bently, BMW, Mini, Seat, Skoda all use the BOSCH engine management computer. Garret (GIAC) figured out how to crack their code and that is why you will notice that those are the marques that he tunes. Tuning one is not much harder than tuning another. Same amount of dyno time, etc.

Price is primarily defined by what the market will bear.
I'm glad at least one other person on this forum hasn't drank the Kook-Aide yet...

Old 04-17-2007, 10:58 PM
viper501 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by i300zxtt
I'm glad at least one other person on this forum hasn't drank the Kook-Aide yet...
+1. Just look at the price of headers. Ludicrous amounts for one from any number of the site sponsors. 250 dollars from ebay. Exact same design, and likely the exact same manufacturer. But oh, the $1500 ones must be better, they say **** on them.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:37 PM
NIKAS is infamous around these parts
Any recs for plennum, flywheel mods?

Old 04-17-2007, 11:44 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ag Surfer
I just paid twice that amount.
wtf i thought we know each other?!

j/k

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any place that sells GIAC Flash at a discount?