996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 search abandoned, but there's still hope.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 02:24 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Marc997GT3
Not even an argument here anyone on this board that is a tuner will tell you...the 993 engine block is the one used in the 996/7 Turbo, 996/7 GT3 , 996/7 GT2....an engine for a GT3 is $30,000 + a 996/7 engine is $7500...its not about upkeep or maintenance costs and such as well the current 993 block is now water cooled in the past they were air cooled and that hurt them from a reliability standpoint, I owned 2 996's they RMS issues and other stuff the block is cheaply made...
I KNOW all that stuff...but your original post stated the 996 engine is a POS....so my question is...what about an engine that requires a 6-10k top end rebuild like every 80k miles? I call that a POS....oh and it has LESS hp, and LESS reliability and more general upkeep costs than the 996 engine. That engine puts out 300+hp and if taken care of will last a good 200k miles....whats wrong with that? Oh they dont race it....Yes the GT2/3 and TT engines use a derivative of the aircooled block with water cooled heads...a hybrid air/oil/water cooled engine. Yes that may be the BEST of them all, but the 996/997 engines are no slouches. I have had a Boxster and a 996..NO RMS on either so maybe I am lucky, maybe the RMS is JUST an oil leak and many blow it out of proportion...dont the 993's leak more oil...YES...the discussion is 993 vs 996 not GT2/3/TT engines vs 996 engines...and in general the 993 is more money to upkeep, less performance, and less reliable when compared to the 996 engine. Thats my point. If you wanna tune it and build a race engine, then the 993 engine is better for that I suppose, but how many 993 owners have done that?

Old 04-17-2007, 04:00 PM
zdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud of
[quote=c4bliss]
Originally Posted by zdr2k
try to find one that has not been trashed, AX'd, DE and all that stuff. Everyone should know that these are not race cars, seems to me you can't track it on weekends and expect to drive it to work on monday. quote]

That is a pretty broad statement. No, they are not "race" cars, but DE/AX is not racing. MANY people on this board are DE/AX'ers and take very very good care of the cars they drive. If anything, they might be more likely to "over" maintain them..
I agree. It was not meant to insult anyone. Sorry it was taken that way. Some DE/AX sessions i been to indicate different levels of driver proficiency......meaning "maybe it's not the car but the driver" that's the problem. I am sure a talented driver (not me) can drive these cars without any issues at a high level of performance.

Why is it that the premature RMS failures only happen on manuals? Why are Tips immune...?

Again, please do not take this as insult. It was an observation and that we need to know what we are getting into.

Personally, I'd learn on a rented 914 or something like that.

my 2.5 cents worth.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:42 AM
Marc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really nice
It is a cheaply made engine it may be more economical and cheaper to maintain but the quality is not good. Other then that all your other points are valid, end of the day a 996 is for sure a better DD, however any of the newer P cars with the 993 block i.e. Turbo , GT2/3 would be my choice money no object. However to each his own...its just a discussion.

Originally Posted by newport996
I KNOW all that stuff...but your original post stated the 996 engine is a POS....so my question is...what about an engine that requires a 6-10k top end rebuild like every 80k miles? I call that a POS....oh and it has LESS hp, and LESS reliability and more general upkeep costs than the 996 engine. That engine puts out 300+hp and if taken care of will last a good 200k miles....whats wrong with that? Oh they dont race it....Yes the GT2/3 and TT engines use a derivative of the aircooled block with water cooled heads...a hybrid air/oil/water cooled engine. Yes that may be the BEST of them all, but the 996/997 engines are no slouches. I have had a Boxster and a 996..NO RMS on either so maybe I am lucky, maybe the RMS is JUST an oil leak and many blow it out of proportion...dont the 993's leak more oil...YES...the discussion is 993 vs 996 not GT2/3/TT engines vs 996 engines...and in general the 993 is more money to upkeep, less performance, and less reliable when compared to the 996 engine. Thats my point. If you wanna tune it and build a race engine, then the 993 engine is better for that I suppose, but how many 993 owners have done that?

Old 04-18-2007, 11:08 AM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
It is a cheaply made engine it may be more economical and cheaper to maintain but the quality is not good. Other then that all your other points are valid, end of the day a 996 is for sure a better DD, however any of the newer P cars with the 993 block i.e. Turbo , GT2/3 would be my choice money no object. However to each his own...its just a discussion.
What facts do you have that the quality of the engine is not good? Its an engine designed to go 200k miles without a rebuild....why is the quality bad?....A magazine a while back opened up one with over 100k miles on it and found the internals looked BRAND NEW...they were astonished...I think it was Excellence magazine.....They raved about the quality of the engine...so what info do you have that says this is a low quality engine? There are literally hundreds of thousands of cars with these engines, and they are not all falling apart. In fact the contrary, they are running very well.....I think if you make a statement like that you need to back it up with facts, not conjecture.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:30 AM
XX911XX is infamous around these parts
ALEV8,
You are on a 996 chat room....

To get a more balanced feedback, I suggest you also post the same question on Rennlist.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:19 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
So I take it that the 997 engines are bad quality engines as well. How is it cheaply made? is it because of the lokasil process of the 996 as compared to the Nikasil process...from what I understand both process has the same result with tighter tolerances of the engined. Yeah the lokasil is geared more for mass production but the actual process is the first in the world and quite revolutionary... please support your arguement, only a discussion here as well.