996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

X74 vs PSS9

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 05:30 PM
xdream is infamous around these parts
X74 vs PSS9

What's the main difference between these two susp. kit? I'm getting ready to convert my 4x4 Carrera to a low rider and need some help on deciding which kit to go with. TIA....

Lee

Old 04-15-2007, 06:15 PM
JNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to all
x74 is fixed drop and not very aggressive IMO. PSS9s are great coilover options for the street, but not the ideal setup for the track if you plan to go alot. PSS9s have 9 way adjustable dampening settings and you can drop it however you like, within reason, of course. X74 is cheaper, but it's worth paying the extra for PSS9s....

Old 04-15-2007, 06:58 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
whats the price for x74, I picked up my pss9 for $1800, at shox.com

Old 04-15-2007, 07:24 PM
Proform has much to be proud ofProform has much to be proud ofProform has much to be proud ofProform has much to be proud ofProform has much to be proud ofProform has much to be proud ofProform has much to be proud ofProform has much to be proud of
I got my Pss9 kit the other day brand new for $1800

Old 04-15-2007, 08:03 PM
Ray S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura aboutRay S (Chicago) has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by JNRSM3
x74 is fixed drop and not very aggressive IMO. PSS9s are great coilover options for the street, but not the ideal setup for the track if you plan to go alot. PSS9s have 9 way adjustable dampening settings and you can drop it however you like, within reason, of course. X74 is cheaper, but it's worth paying the extra for PSS9s....
I'd disagree with that. PSS9's are actually the softer more comfortable choice. They are generally regarded as a good street coilover, but not a good coilover for the track. The offer the advantage of adjustable dampening and ride height. However, if you drop too low with them you'll ride the bumpstops.

The X74 is a fixed system with no adjustable height or dampening. However, it seems to have higher spring rates and firmer dampening than the PSS9. As a result it has a harsher street ride, but (IMHO) it is a better choice for the track.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:27 PM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
get pss9's you wont regret it,,,

Old 04-16-2007, 01:35 AM
996 MBA CFA is infamous around these parts
I just checked shox.com and it is listed for $2099 for the c2. How'd you get it for $1800?

Originally Posted by Redridge
whats the price for x74, I picked up my pss9 for $1800, at shox.com

Old 04-16-2007, 09:48 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 996 MBA CFA
I just checked shox.com and it is listed for $2099 for the c2. How'd you get it for $1800?
Sorry, that was last years price...they had summer special

Old 04-16-2007, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by Ray S (Chicago)
I'd disagree with that. PSS9's are actually the softer more comfortable choice. They are generally regarded as a good street coilover, but not a good coilover for the track. The offer the advantage of adjustable dampening and ride height. However, if you drop too low with them you'll ride the bumpstops.

The X74 is a fixed system with no adjustable height or dampening. However, it seems to have higher spring rates and firmer dampening than the PSS9. As a result it has a harsher street ride, but (IMHO) it is a better choice for the track.
If you set pss9, at 1/1, its pretty harsh in the tri state area!

Old 04-17-2007, 01:01 PM
UCrazyKid is infamous around these partsUCrazyKid is infamous around these parts
Old 04-17-2007, 04:30 PM
UCrazyKid is infamous around these partsUCrazyKid is infamous around these parts
the PSS9 will likely cost more to install due to setting ride height, corner balancing and alignment.

In my experience having had a fully adjustable suspension in a previous car, having all the adjustability is not worthwhile if you can find a suspension with a fixed setting that meets your needs. Once it is on the car it is often to much effort and to pricey to keep making ride height adjustments, plus an alignment every time you adjust height.

As for setting the stiffness, you will no doubt play with it for a month, then never change the settings again.

If you are regularly tracking the car then adjustability is probably really important and you will be changing it often. However then the PSS9 is probably not the system you want for a dedicated track car.

The x74 is definitely an aggressive set up. For the price of the x74 you are also getting swaybars, new bushings and chassis reinforcement plates, new bump stops and top mounts. It is a very good price for a lot of parts.

Also the x74 uses Bilstein struts.

my $0.02

Last edited by UCrazyKid; 04-17-2007 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:13 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
PSS9's are less expensive to install....they come pre-assembled with the shocks and springs attached...Once you set your ride height, you probably wont change it, but you can set it to your likes...stiffness is great for if you use the car on a daily basis....soften it up for highway driving for a comfortable ride...stiffen it up for the canyons....can be done in 5 minutes and no alignment is needed after that....If you are building a serious track car...then neither is the best way to go....JIC or Motons are both better track options.....X74 is a good option for those that are weekend canyon runners in my opinion, but dont drive the car daily...for daily drivers or those that dont do alot of tracking PSS9's the better option....

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
the PSS9 will likely cost more to install due to setting ride height, corner balancing and alignment, disassembly of the old struts and re assembly of the new.

In my experience having had a fully adjustable suspension in a previous car, having all the adjustability is not worthwhile if you can find a suspension with a fixed setting that meets your needs. Once it is on the car it is often to much effort and to pricey to keep making ride height adjustments, plus an alignment every time you adjust height.

As for setting the stiffness, you will no doubt play with it for a month, then never change the settings again.

If you are regularly tracking the car then adjustability is probably really important and you will be changing it often. However then the PSS9 is probably not the system you want for a dedicated track car.

The x74 is definitely an aggressive set up. For the price of the x74 you are also getting swaybars, new bushings and chassis reinforcement plates, new bump stops and top mounts. It is a very good price for a lot of parts.

Also the x74 uses Bilstein struts.

my $0.02

Old 04-17-2007, 05:21 PM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
What does this do for the warranty? Do you completely void or what could be voided should there be a problem? Thanks.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:22 PM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
What does this do to the warranty if I was to put on the PSS9's? Does it completely void the warranty or certain portion of it should a problem arise? Thanks.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:25 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
My car was under warranty for 2 years with PSS9s....never questioned once...had an engine replaced and maybe another 10k in work....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: X74 vs PSS9